SASS Wire Forum

Flex Hone

Mountain Man Champ

I was curios if anyone has used a Flex Hone on a 12 gauge side by side shotgun to aid in shell extraction. And what results you have had? Thanks MMC

Theyll put a mirror finish on the inside of the chambers.  But be sure to avoid honing the extractors excessively.  I've seen a couple guns where the extractors were honed out too wide to where they allowed shell heads to slip under/inside them.  

Used a flex hone chamber hone on a Stevens 311 and it improved the shells dropping out.  
I also used it on my Stoeger and it slicked up what was already a slick gun.  

yes

Remember that it does not need to be "shiny smooth and level."

It can be slightly uneven and work great because you are only trying to reduce friction.

Remember that if you put two really smooth surfaces together, they can actually slightly bond together and increase resistance.

And be careful using a break hone since they can cut too quickly and enlarge the chamber.  I don't see it often now, but several years ago, when I picked up range empties, I could always tell when someone over-enlarged their chamber and the shells were overly swollen.

I've got a couple more questions for all you experts:

1) Do you start with a 400 Silicone carbide Flex hone and then go to the 800 aluminum oxide one or just use the 800 one?

2) For OLG - I know this will sound dumbass but does it matter what brand or type of toothpaste you use?

As always thanks for y'alls advice.

3 hours ago, 4 Mile Drifter said:

I've got a couple more questions for all you experts:

1) Do you start with a 400 Silicone carbide Flex hone and then go to the 800 aluminum oxide one or just use the 800 one?

2) For OLG - I know this will sound dumbass but does it matter what brand or type of toothpaste you use?

As always thanks for y'alls advice.

Not really.

I've even used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. 

OLG 

A Break cylinder hone is one of the fastest and most effective methods I have seen to completely RUIN shotgun chambers.  All you're really trying to do is smooth off the peaks of any machine marks.

Before hone application, if you haven't already, try a bunch of different shotgun hulls.  The gun may not "like" what you are using. 

Champ,

Look closely at their listings,  they have hones in a variety of finish,  up to 800 grit.

A 400 or 600 is a very shiny finish for a shotgun.

Ol'  #4

A piece of scrub pad wound around a dowel, wetted with some SoftScrub, and then spun with your hand drill also works great and is cheep cheep.  As is always true with any power tool and abrasive material (yes, SoftScrub is mildly abrasive), go easy and slow.

The flex hone and oil was like $50 when I bought em years ago, worth every penny. When I see hulls start to stick in my or my wife’s sg, i give it a minor repolish and were good to go

On 1/10/2022 at 8:02 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

A Break cylinder hone is one of the fastest and most effective methods I have seen to completely RUIN shotgun chambers.  All you're really trying to do is smooth off the peaks of any machine marks.

Before hone application, if you haven't already, try a bunch of different shotgun hulls.  The gun may not "like" what you are using. 

Archived