SASS Wire Forum

Springfield emissary 1911

Trigger Mike

46 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The three slots at the front look like cocking serrations to me.

You're right. They're so big they didn't register when I saw them. I think I saw them as porting.

I don't own an Emissary, but I do own and shoot the TRP and Ronan, both in 10mm.

Both are great guns and very reliable.

Of course, I might have to look close at the Emissary now.

..........Widder

Not a bad looking firearm, but I'm sort of a traditionalist in the looks department. I'll stick with a Gold Cup and a well used Lightweight Commander, thanks.

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, at least it does not have cocking serrations at the muzzle. That's one of the stupider things I've seen on 1911s in the past few years.

Front serrations are a blessing when you're dealing with Arthritis in your hands.

OLG 

My TRPs and my Loaded models remain some of my favorite 1911s.  I'm not a huge fan of the look of the Emissary.  And I like and use the forward cocking serrations.  

Foward cocking serrations don't bother me as long as they don't get too overly done and make the gun resemble a Star Wars prop. They do have a use  for some shooters. I went to all gen 5 Glocks, partly because of the FCS feature. I find them handy.

1911s are just plain... sexy. If i opt for another it would be a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander or a Les Baer 5". The DW is a fine 1911, as are some SAs. 

Doggonit, now y'all got me a hankerin' to go shopping.

I've a Colt 1911 (WW1 repro) I use for WB and it's great, just not gonna be a CCW. And I've a 1911 CCW holster and mag pouches that need fillin'. ;)

I don't have a dog in this event, and really don't care about appearance much at all.
My thoughts are entirely about reliability when the chips are down.
For me, a full size 1911 would be a defensive weapon and not a competitive one nor a barbecue gun.

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I've a Colt 1911 (WW1 repro) I use for WB and it's great, just not gonna be a CCW.

Why not? I have one also, it's been 100% reliable. I'd use it for CCW if I was going to carry a 1911.

Biggest knock against FCS is the chance to get your hand in front of the muzzle. If the gun is not loaded no problem, but if you are clearing a jam?

I kinda like it. 
I think I like the Ronin better though.

50 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Why not? I have one also, it's been 100% reliable. I'd use it for CCW if I was going to carry a 1911.

Biggest knock against FCS is the chance to get your hand in front of the muzzle. If the gun is not loaded no problem, but if you are clearing a jam?

Why not carry my Colt WW1 repro as a CCW? I certainly could. My choice not to has nothing to do with front slide serrations. It's a very good gun. But, it has those tiny early 1911 sights. For a CCW gun I'd prefer much better sights.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

That's why you train and practice. 

OLG 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I kinda like it. 
I think I like the Ronin better though.

UB,

I got numerous pistols for fun shooting and self defense, including carry purposes.   The RONIN quickly became a favorite..... and mine is in 10mm.

RONIN's are fairly popular and dealers can't keep em in stock very long.   It is a dandy of a 1911.

..........Widder

My two favorite Springfield Armory Pistols:  Marine Corps Operator, with TRP magwell and Stainless non railed TRP.  Both in 45 ACP.  Duty and carry guns for a lot of years.

mc op magwell.jpg

stainless trp 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Might be a fine gun, but the Emissary looks like it was made with LEGOs. Just can’t get excited about the appearance. 

The Ronin on the other hand is a fine looking gun, to my eye. 

Millenials like Legos. :)

I'm curious about the Springfield models.
At first, I was thinking they were made in Brazil... after my Stoeger Coach debacle... never again will I own one made there.

SA offers a TRP model that is CA compliant.
I'm curious how these American made guns compare with the Kimbers, etc, in the similar price point.

I'm all about the reliability and function, and not about appearance.
[ edit ]

I'm a stainless guy, and the forged barrel and frame really appeals to me...

I prefer.my Springfield to my kimber.  I've owned 2 kimbers and both would start to jam after a couple of hundred rounds, but I've never had a jam out of the Springfields over the years.  The base milspec Springfield is accurate out of the box. 

Springfield far and away over Kimber from my experience.  One looks nice…one looks and feels nice and works reliably :)  I’m sure not all Kimbers are bad but I have owned two and both are gone..

88B3BB68-D4C4-48F1-84A7-03CDD3F739E7.thumb.jpeg.fb681ea5ce2207d686d93464e50e965f.jpeg

bgavin,

I've owned both Kimbers (about 5 or 6) and I've owned about 4 Springfields in the 1911 configurations.

My Kimbers were very good guns with one minor exception..... they had tight chambers and required me to use .451 bullets all the time

or I would get misfeeds.

The Springfields have been near perfect.   I owned a V-16 model in .45 Super that was superb, but I sold it.

I now own and shoot the 6" TRP in 10mm. and a 5" RONIN in 10mm also.

Both have given me ZERO problems and feeds all my reloads.   AND, they both are as accurate as I can shoot them using

a wide range of bullets.

At present, I do have 2 Kimbers that have been modified to the .460 Rowland.   One of them works flawlessly but the other

is finicky about the ammo, which is basically due to its power and finding the right recoil spring for it.

The Springfield models are worth taking a look at..... and that's my opinion based on first hand experience.'

Good luck.

..........Widder

I've had 2 Kimbers. Both good guns, one pretty much trouble free. I've had 1 SA... problematic BUT SA fixed it under warranty with no charge, no questions asked and I was not original owner. Excellent customer service. I've had 5 Colts, all pretty decent. No real troubles that were not directly related to magazine issues. Only have 2 1911s left, both for WB. Doesn't mean I don't want another 1911 though, LOL. They do make a fine CCW.

Archived