SASS Wire Forum

Cane sword

Trigger Mike

Things are getting weird around the small town of vidalia, ga.  We've had a couple of murders this new year and someone set off the fire alarm in the police station, got in their car and rammed it into one of the few steak houses in town and plowed threw the front door even though it is beside the police station.  4 went to the hospital.   

Cane swords are illegal in most places.  To carry, that is.  I do have one and I have used it as a cane a time or two.  I DON’T recommend that anyone else should do it.

The bad guy has to be close enough to get hold of you for a sword cane to be effective.  I prefer a handgun.  

And as Blackwater mentioned...they're illegal to carry in some jurisdictions.  Alabama doesn't specifically mention them, but it does include fixed blade knives carried concealed, which isn't a long stretch of the imagination from a sword cane.  

I wish I could find out whether it was legal in Florida or not. Florida's permit is a concealed weapons permit. At one point in the law is specifies that you cannot do something to somebody with a sword cane. But that was the only mention of a sword cane I could find in the entire Florida statutes. So it seems like I would be good.

But while pulling a sword out of your stick seems intimidating, I'm much better with a gun. B)

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I wish I could find out whether it was legal in Florida or not. Florida's permit is a concealed weapons permit. At one point in the law is specifies that you cannot do something to somebody with a sword cane. But that was the only mention of a sword cane I could find in the entire Florida statutes. So it seems like I would be good.

But while pulling a sword out of your stick seems intimidating, I'm much better with a gun. B)

One may carry, but not brandish, a sword cane. Florida law, § 790.10, provides with respect to sword canes that it is unlawful to “exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense,” in the presence of one or more persons.

Yeah, that's it.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

The only mention of a sword cane in the entire statutes. I didn't remember what it said you could not do with it, but that's the only time the term comes up.

I frequently carry this.

91sta.jpg

3/4 inch diameter solid fiberglass. With a 1 lb stainless steel knob on the end. I can't poke a hole in you with it, but I can pretty much beat the hell out of you.

Being one that has used a cane numerous times in my life for various injuries, surgeries, etc. I can tell you that:

Canes will always fall when any attempt is made to retrieve them quickly when sitting and they are leaned against something. 

Canes, if needed for support, do not make good weapons if the cane is needed for support when you need a weapon. 

Canes if carried when not needed are seen as a possible weapon and may be scrutinized by TSA officers, security officers and DA’s that want to make a name for themselves should you use a cane to thwart an idiot from doing something they shouldn’t be doing. Your cane, sword cane or not, can be seen as a weapon in itself. Especially if you are witnessed by others or on video gracefully moving about while pummeling a scumbag with your cane. This happened with an acquaintance of mine a few years ago. He nearly went to jail. 

Besides, canes do not leave both hands free. If you do not need a cane then why limit your abilities by carrying one?

46 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Where did you get it?

It's a Cold Steel City Stick.

The best price I have found for Cold Steel products is a place called Wholesale Hunter. Have not been there lately, so don't know if they carry this thing. I think I paid $58 for it. It's been a while.

Added: I just went looking to see what they cost nowadays. All the ads I found said the head is aluminum. But this article from 2010 says stainless steel. I've handled a lot of aluminum and a lot of stainless in my work, and the head on mine is not aluminum.

https://www.intravelmag.com/intravel/ingenious/the-cold-steel-city-stick

9 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 try a flip out cane holder.  There are also fixed hook designs for hanging on a chair back or hooking on your belt.

https://www.amazon.com/Merry-Sticks-Smart-Reflective-Holder/dp/B08R8QH6TK

Thank you. Neat device. I hope I won’t need one. Haha :D

As Blackwater said, they are largely prohibited as a concealed weapon. Some stars permit concealed firearms only, some also permit blades.

The use of a cane sword is problematic for a number of tactical reasons. 
Training and practice are necessary. Use of close quarter edged weapons require a lot of skill. Even actors have to train just to look like they know what they are doing. 
There are other factors that make the use of a 19th century gentleman’s weapon impractical.

In Granola Land the cane sword will earn you a felony for mere possession. 

I am sure if you are male, white and even slightly conservative possession would result in jail time. Not so much if you’re a limp-wristed bedwetting anarchist with a penchant for weird sexual proclivities and a desire to be called a pronoun other than “him or he”. 

I own 2 different Cold Steel sword canes and their walking stick, with the aluminum knob.  The wife and I used to walk the neighborhood often before my knees got too bad.  She used a 9 iron as a walking stick and I took one of my Cold Steel toys.  The Cold Steel cane was in addition to my Glock 26 and the switchblade in my pocket.  No, I'm not paranoid.  Why would anyone think that?

This thread got me curious as to our local laws.  Tennessee has two levels of concealed carry permits and recently passed Constitutional carry.  I have maintained my enhanced carry permit because it is honored in many other states.  With this permit, I'm not too worried about getting in trouble for carrying one of my sword canes.

The article below has some good information on the laws about sword canes.

The Useful Sword Cane | American Knife and Tool Institute (akti.org)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

so much if you’re a limp-wristed bedwetting anarchist with a penchant for weird sexual proclivities

Have you ever noticed how so many antis can't talk about firearms without making some sort of sexual reference?  Then accuse gun owners of sexualizing guns.

sword canes are common for tourists to buy in Kenya, most kenyans just carried machetes if they thought they needed something.  tribesmen carry swords, shields spears and various other melee weapons, if they aren't currently brandishing their totally not legal AK-47's, G3's and FAL's.  when your government outlaws guns, but the Somali's keep raiding from the north... you do what you gotta.

my friends and I would spar in college, I used a Turkana cane of this variety (I don't have a picture of mine)

image.png.2980041bc7ad4065e23e681abb9a6fd0.png

I read up on old treatises for cane combat and tried various forms for our sparring, I found I could outlast the guys bigger and slower than me and keep at bay the guys smaller and faster than me, and that a throat poke is formidable, the joint is optimized for striking and the hook is useful for pulling and tripping.  We stopped sparring after a while because it just plain hurts... I'd rather not get in a fight and not have to employ sticks if I don't have to.  I do occasionally carry my stick hiking for protection against dogs backed up by a .357 and a large knife.

Here's another northern Kenyan walking stick, I don't remember if this one is Turkana or Pokot.  it's an ornamental cane, that isn't really built for melee, it is however very useful for sticking in the sand and taking long shots at distance.  the various protuberances are their version of an adjustable height bipod.   

image.thumb.png.f3f5f5a8e35cd032731bfec7be3a9543.png

the top part of the handle on mine is broken from where I was hammering on it to drive it into the dirt at the shooting range.  I do take this one hunting with me and it comes apart to fit nicely in my pack.  Mine also has AK's carved in the wood below the handle, buy I don't think you can tell from this picture.

The Korean is ji panga sool for crooked staff technique.

Based on a shepherds crook it converts nicely to a hand cane. Most people that I see with obvious cane swords are teen posers. 

IMO anything you would use a cane sword on a decent fast opening pocket knife would serve as well without the hassles.

Remember it's the user not the tool that's dangerous.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Have you ever noticed how so many antis can't talk about firearms without making some sort of sexual reference?  Then accuse gun owners of sexualizing guns.

I can honestly say, I've never heard ANYBODY say "I'm too sexy for my Glock".

I bought one  just to have one 

then a friend bought it from me it was found during a traffic stop 

he got 30 days in the county jail but only served 21 day 

Glad it was not me 

I spent years instructing how to use a riot baton, my walking stick/cane will serve well.

One of my canes is a Cold Steel with a weighted stainless steel knob.   I haven't walked with it much.  It's legal in my locale with my permit.  But, it's easier to use a crosier handle for resetting shotgun targets.  

On 1/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's because you can pretty much bet that what they are accusing folks of doing is exactly what they are doing themselves. 

Odd how their only consistency seems to be projection, but that's what I've noticed.

Archived