SASS Wire Forum

New Colt SAA-Czech it out

Sorry, I can’t resist a pun.

I stopped by Palmetto State Armory’s retail store in Greenville, SC and noticed a Colt Single Action Army in the new gun counter.  It was a .45 Colt with a 7.5” barrel, blued finish with Eagle grips with some engraving and gold inlay.  The price was $2,200 or more.  A young salesman commented that it was not a “real” Colt because it had been made by CZ.  I pretty much ignore most comments made by gun salesmen including that one.

This is the first SAA I have seen for sale since CZ acquired Colt.  I looked on the Colt website; it shows the SAA in the product line and CZ’s name appears in the banner at the top of the page which suggests the website has been updated.  This fancy revolver was not pictured.

Anyone know about these post-CZ revolvers?

I've heard a rumor that RYE can't buy one until everyone else gets one first..... :D

CZ makes some darn nice firearms and hopefully, their good workmanship continues with the Colts.

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've heard a rumor that RYE can't buy one until everyone else gets one first..... :D

CZ makes some darn nice firearms and hopefully, their good workmanship continues with the Colts.

..........Widder

:(

1 minute ago, Rillito Red said:

So Colt SAA's are only available in 45 and 357?

:wacko:

Makes sense.  Those are by far the two most popular calibers.  If they prove to be profitable line, CZ might possibly expand on that.

26 minutes ago, Rillito Red said:

So Colt SAA's are only available in 45 and 357?

:wacko:

Right now it seems that just about every gun company can sell just about every gun they make . Right now I don’t think it’s going to be popular with any manufacturers to make guns or ammo that aren’t fairly popular. Heck stacatto, formerly STI isn’t even making 2011’s/1911’s in any caliber other than 9mm . That kinda tells me that they can’t make enough 9’s 

3 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

SO, are these called CZ Colts or Colt Gen 4s ?

Here we go.  :)

To be honest, I think they would still be Third Generation.   They are being made in the same place as 3rds, with the same tooling, and while there has been a slow down, production never out and out stopped.   

To truly be "Fourth Generation," I'd say that production would have to move out of the current facility to be restarted somewhere else, or if it stays where it is, production would have the be halted while new machinery to make them with is brought online.

All of the other "points" in the past that have been tried to be identified for a switch from 3 to 4 "failed" to be made official, I think, for the above reasons.  :)

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1 hour ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

Website details says available in 45 and 357 and various lengths and finishes.

Nope according to what I listed above it’s .45 only 

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nope according to what I listed above it’s .45 only 

click on the "details" button.

No Colt revolver has earned greater fame than the single action army - The Peacemaker. In design and performance, in line and form, no more sculptural and practical Colt has ever been created. Movies serve as constant reminders of the role this equalizer played in winning the West. Available in 45 Colt or 357 Magnum with multiple barrel lengths and finishes.

This is not the first time Colt has been bought by another company. Making much adieu about nothing. 
https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/colts-manufacturing-company

3 hours ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

click on the "details" button.

No Colt revolver has earned greater fame than the single action army - The Peacemaker. In design and performance, in line and form, no more sculptural and practical Colt has ever been created. Movies serve as constant reminders of the role this equalizer played in winning the West. Available in 45 Colt or 357 Magnum with multiple barrel lengths and finishes.

You are correct sir. My bad!

If it is made in Hartford, Connecticut, with the standard barrel and frame inscriptions on it...and it doesn't have CZ anywhere on the revolver, or packaging...and if it retains the original design, and specs, and carries the Colt name, and maintains quality second to none, then it doesn't matter who, or where, the owners are.

If it has the registered trademark of "Colt" on it, then probably like it, or not, it can be considered a Colt. 

Some folks may refer to the CZ now owning the company, as the "next generation" Colt...some won't.

As we all know the original Colt's just had a serial number. -1st generation-. There were some modifications to the revolver, on the first generation model, since it was first introduced in 1873. The first models, of the 1st generation Colt, had a "pinched frame", later changed.  

The post war Colts, that resumed production in the mid 1950's, had a suffix of "SA", and some minor modifications. -2nd generation-.

The next generation of Colts, after retooling, the serial number had a prefix of "SA", and some internal modifications. -3rd generation-.

Then, later the serial number changed to an "S" before the serial number, and an "A" after the serial number, and some internal modifications. Some refer to this transition as the "4th generation" Colt, and some do not. Who is right? Who knows? Who cares?   

Now, with the CZ folks owning the company, some may refer to these Colts as the "5th generation". Again, that is a personal choice, and we are free to make that distinction, or not.

Well...ssssshhhhhoooooottttt...some folks still argue about Pluto's status!!!

Archived