SASS Wire Forum

Come for a run out on the estuary with me in the runabout

Buckshot Bear

Looks nice but now I am confused.

Aren't there supposed to be crocodiles running into the water as you pass by, looking for an opportunity to drag you out of the boat and eat you?

And where are all of the great white sharks and their fins sticking out of the water with that weird music playing in the background waiting to sink your boat and eat you? and the brown snakes? giant spiders? crabs the size of medium dogs? red back spiders lurking in the corners about to bite with that strange legs up posture?

Honestly it appears amazing but isn't Australia home to a hundred things that want to kill you?

Or is that just to keep the Yanks out? :D  :lol:  :)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

5 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Looks nice but now I am confused.

Aren't there supposed to be crocodiles running into the water as you pass by, looking for an opportunity to drag you out of the boat and eat you?

And where are all of the great white sharks and their fins sticking out of the water with that weird music playing in the background waiting to sink your boat and eat you? and the brown snakes? giant spiders? crabs the size of medium dogs? red back spiders lurking in the corners about to bite with that strange legs up posture?

Honestly it appears amazing but isn't Australia home to a hundred things that want to kill you?

Or is that just to keep the Yanks out? :D  :lol:  :)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thankfully crocodiles are way way North!.....all those other biters and lots more are around though :( 

These little blighters are only a couple of inches long, little miniature stone fish.....you should hear the way people scream when the step on one :( :( :( 

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/sea-creature-stings

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I've seen those things on a TV show New Hampshire Game & Wildlife Officers (?).

First weekend of good ice here. Deer season ended last week so momma was not happy when I mentioned fishing. Soooo, we spent the day together. Cleaning my gun room and the yard today. Down to 12 tonight. That's F, not C. 

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You'd think so.

Unfortunately, it usually comes with ...

Winter 2.jpg

Jim Beam in a flask. Inside pocket. Hidden from your buddies. 

Uh, Bear, you did notice that the bottle of Jack was frozen, right?:huh:

Notice that the bottle is up side down (or is that right side up in OZ?) but the Jack hasn't flowed down into the neck- because it's frozen.

Not only is ol' boy havin' to dress like Nanook of the North but, where he is, even 80 proof alcohol freezes.

That being said, I prefer Evan Williams anyhow.  It's historic (the original Evan Williams started making bourbon in 1783), cheaper and I like the flavor better.

21 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Uh, Bear, you did notice that the bottle of Jack was frozen, right?:huh:

Notice that the bottle is up side down (or is that right side up in OZ?) but the Jack hasn't flowed down into the neck- because it's frozen.

Not only is ol' boy havin' to dress like Nanook of the North but, where he is, even 80 proof alcohol freezes.

That being said, I prefer Evan Williams anyhow.  It's historic (the original Evan Williams started making bourbon in 1783), cheaper and I like the flavor better.

Always wondered....why do folks wear the fur hair side out? Wouldn't it (but it mustn't be) be warmer fur side in ?

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Always wondered....why do folks wear the fur hair side out? Wouldn't it (but it mustn't be) be warmer fur side in ?

Dude, I live in Alabama.  I have no idea.

Our idea of 'winter' is the highs fluctuating between the mid 40's and the mid 60's- with a day or two of rain between the two.   If it snows at all (and I mean at all- flurries count as snow around here), we just stay home a couple of days until it's back in the 60's and it's melted.

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

do the wolves, beavers, bears and foxes wear it fur side in?  the fur helps break up the wind across your face for one thing.

9 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

do the wolves, beavers, bears and foxes wear it fur side in?  the fur helps break up the wind across your face for one thing.

Little bit different though as its still connected to them?

On 1/9/2022 at 7:06 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Little bit different though as its still connected to them?

If the fur side was in, it would be compressed and it wouldn't keep you warm. Fur works by trapping air and preventing it from circulating. This keeps you warm because stagnant air is a poor transmitter of heat. 

Down jackets work on the same principal. As do thermos bottles, Yeti cups, house insulation and a whole host of other products.

Archived