SASS Wire Forum

2500 chevy verses ford 250

Trigger Mike

I have a 2019 chevy 2500 that I use to haul my 3 series john deere tractor when needed.  It does better than the 1500 I used to own did.  

Recently I hit a midlife crisis only instead of buying a corvette I bought a Ford f250 as well.  

Today I used it to pull my tractor.  The truck notifies you a trailer is connected and the rear sensor is disengaged and tells you the trailer is disconnected.   The kicker though is the 2500 is gas and the f250 is diesel and the f250 acted the same as it does without a trailer.  There was zero noticeable difference in the way it drove.   I let my 16 year old try it and he agreed.  There was no difference.   He even got it on the dirt road and gunned the engine from a stop and the truck still spun tires like it does without the trailer.  I really like that truck. 

Ford makes a nice truck, with the diesel, work the crap out of it and it will serve you well, other wise the exhaust aftertreatment system can get a little fussy.

Enjoy!

The last Chevy PU I had was a 1975 I bought new. 3/4 4x4 350 gas engine. It was a POS! I have owned all Fords since 1983 and all diesel 3/4 & 1 tons. I have had great luck with all of them. My current truck is a 2013 1 ton, 4x4 diesel with a 6 speed automatic. Great truck too, but not as good for mileage as my 1999 Powerstroke. All the new diesel have smog on them and they perform great, but with less fuel economy.

2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 002.JPG

My Brother in Law was a dyed in the Wool Ford Truck Man and his Company ran 12, 1 ton Trucks  averaging 250,000 Km. per year , Well to make a long story shorter after trying and Comparing Chevy and Ford trucks over a period of time. He found that the Fords lost an average of 12 times as many days of use due to service needs. And the savings on fuel from the Chevy Trucks over the Ford Trucks would be enough to pay for new trucks every 4 years, at fleet pricing.

So needless to say the Ford Man now runs all Chevy Truck for his company, and now his personal ride is a Chevy Suburban ...

Jabez Cowboy

I love this debate. full disclosure... I own a 72 F250 camper special and a 08 F350 diesel. One of my criteria as to ford or chevy was whether I could wear my cowboy hat inside the cab without having to take it off. Love the ford room!

I am certain you can find examples both ways. Locally a friend who owns a landscaping company, in 2018, switched 28 chevy's for 24 fords. His reasoning was very similar to the stuff that Jabez Cowboy cited except in the opposite direction. He also felt comfortable in having fewer fords as he generally expected 4-6 of his chevy's to be in the shop at any given time. Typically he will keep the vehicles for 5-6 years (barring accidents) so it will be interesting to see what he does in 22-23.

Like most mechanical devices there are well built products and not well built products. Luck of the draw will tell which you get.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW waiting for the dodge guys to weigh in

All I’ll say is my ‘97 3500 is approaching 400,000 miles and has had the HELL run out of it!!  Anything that has been replaced, I broke it mistreating that truck.

Half of the miles on it were driven with a trailer hooked to it or the bed filled.  The other half were driven wide open!!

It’s the third Chevrolet truck that I have owned in the forty plus years that me ‘n’ Schoolmarm have been married. They all held up great. The two Fords we’ve owned didn’t hold up nearly as well or nearly as long.

Ol’ Green is, admittedly, heavier duty and better equipped for hauling and towing than any of the other trucks, but my mid-seventies Suburban pulled my race cars and trailers a quarter million miles without complaint and hauled family and crew in comfort and safety.

I never used the Fords for that kind of work.  They were not equipped properly and didn’t hold up well, even as just transportation!

Hatfield, my son, bought a Dodge Dayrona pickup that worked well for him.  It even towed my vending rig a couple of times and did a fair job.  It wouldn’t be good for continuous duty of that kind, but it ran like a striped ape and was low maintenance as well.

Never had a Ford that would stay under me.  Others have done well with them, but not me.

It’s doubtful that I will ever buy another new truck.  I’m building a 1960 Jeep truck for a keeper and Ol’ Green is still going strong.  My hauling and towing escapades are becoming fewer and it’s becoming more difficult to find places to stretch out my hotrod muscles.  These young cops get pretty testy when you show ‘em what a real fast car will do.  It’s a different time and they have better things to do than chase some old gearhead down some empty stretch of road.

The truth is,  they make different brands ‘cause the same thing doesn’t work for everyone!

I have all kinds of ford trucks, 55,73, and a 2010 and they've been good, and i do have one of the last decent bodystyle trucks gm made, but it hasn't been as good as the fords, but at least it was cheap!

20210906_150647.jpg

2011-05-15_09-59-04_300.jpg

20170708_190202.jpg

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I love this debate. full disclosure... I own a 72 F250 camper special and a 08 F350 diesel. One of my criteria as to ford or chevy was whether I could wear my cowboy hat inside the cab without having to take it off. Love the ford room!

I am certain you can find examples both ways. Locally a friend who owns a landscaping company, in 2018, switched 28 chevy's for 24 fords. His reasoning was very similar to the stuff that Jabez Cowboy cited except in the opposite direction. He also felt comfortable in having fewer fords as he generally expected 4-6 of his chevy's to be in the shop at any given time. Typically he will keep the vehicles for 5-6 years (barring accidents) so it will be interesting to see what he does in 22-23.

Like most mechanical devices there are well built products and not well built products. Luck of the draw will tell which you get.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW waiting for the dodge guys to weigh in

They broke down pulling out of the dealership and have spent all their time arguing with the warranty department.

I bought a new Chevy van in 1977.. that cured me of buying Chevrolet.
I bought a new Dodge 4x4 in 1983... that cured me of buying Dodge.

In 1991, I bought a new Toyota truck... still have it, 240,000 miles later.
In 2016, my bride bought herself a new Toyota RAV4... wonderful and useful little car in every respect.

Part of me would maybe like to haul a 5th wheel in our few remaining years.
The other part of me doesn't want the grief of either an American or Toyota full size pickup.

6 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I bought a new Chevy van in 1977.. that cured me of buying Chevrolet.
I bought a new Dodge 4x4 in 1983... that cured me of buying Dodge.

In 1991, I bought a new Toyota truck... still have it, 240,000 miles later.
In 2016, my bride bought herself a new Toyota RAV4... wonderful and useful little car in every respect.

Part of me would maybe like to haul a 5th wheel in our few remaining years.
The other part of me doesn't want the grief of either an American or Toyota full size pickup.

Is it comfortable for you to drive?  The current generation feels short on driver legroom.

I'm the guy who can fly Coach comfortably because my feet barely touch the floor....

The RAV4 is the most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned.
My long legged bride sits perfectly in her RAV, and she is the one who needs the aisle seat on the plane for her long legs.

My old Horseshoeing truck was a 97 F250 with the 7.3 diesel. 

Was still running great after 370,000 miles when I sold it.

Still have my 2003 Dodge 3500 with the diesel. It's still going and going good. 270,000 miles and runs like new. 

Went ahead and got a new F250 diesel two years ago. Dang I like this truck. Pulls the 

camper just like it's not there. Did I say I really like this truck. 

Still drive the Dodge the most while just running around town. Keeping the miles off the new Ford. 

Well, I got an '06 GMC, told the salesman that should keep me out of the Chevy vs Ford debate. 2500 diesel, 4x4, long bed. We have pulled some trailers, my 5th wheel and some as an owner-operator for two years. I am happy with it. 

I like my Dodge.

I owned 1 Ford truck in my life, a 1990 Ranger. it gave new meaning the the term Found on Road DEAD!.

Needless to say, I will not willingly own another Ford.

The Ranger had 10,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1990 and 60,000 miles on it when I traded it for my Chevy S10. It was a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, top end was 84 MPH downhill with the wind pushing it and all sorts of thing broke on it, it was in warranty and in the shop once or twice month, even the parking cable broke on it when I set the brake once

I replaced it with my 2nd Chevy truck, a brand new S10,  and I put 100,000 miles on it in 3 years and never had any problems with it that I remember. 

I replaced the S10 with a New 1995 Dodge RAM and put 350,000 on it. I replace the trans at 120,000 miles and it was ready for another trans when I sold it, but I should have just kept it and rebuilt it and kept driving it. I replaced the front end once and the Engine was still good when I sold it.

Since then I have had 3 Dodge Rams and a Dakota, I currently have the 1999 Dakota with 150,000 miles on it and it is parked as it need some work I have not got around to doing and a 2012 Ram with 207,000 ( bought it used with 50,000) that I drive full time that I had to replace the water pump so far, and I think it my be due for some front end work, but it is going strong. I believe i will stick with the Dodges.

My first Chevy ( purchased in 1987) needed a lot of work, I burned a quart of oil to a 1/2 of tank of gas and I had to replace the engine. It had a 3 speed on the tree that did not work and the prior owner had rigged a gear shift in the floor that would get stuck in gear sometimes. I took out the 3 speed and put a 4 speed trans in it and cut out the floor board of a different Chevy and bolted in to accommodate the 4 speed. It had bucket seats out of a car it it and I replaced it with a bench seat once I put in the 4 speed. My wife complained about riding in it as the hole in the passenger floorboard let the exhaust in it as the exhaust was broke off at the crossover pipe. I still think I got a good deal when I got it as I traded a memory board out a computer that I had gotten for free and only had to install the memory board in his computer to get the truck. 

The last time I messed with it(2018), the wiring appears to have some problems and I guess I will have to do some more work on it to drive it  Best guess is that it was an old telephone company truck and it was built in 1965. I need to get it parked in the barn as soon as I get space for it.  The truck is picture below.

20201015_132437.jpg

20201015_132446.jpg

20201015_132502.jpg

20201015_132610.jpg

Im a Dodge Man Myself.

The 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel with the Allison Transmission is pretty hard Combination to Beat .

Over here  on a clear quiet night.

You can hear a Ford Rust ! 

Rooster

I had a dodge ram and it was brand new and at 4000 miles the transmission went out and after several tries kept getting worse so I went to trade it for a chevy and discovered one side was a different shade of black than another.  Never bought one again. 

Archived