SASS Wire Forum

To clean tarnish off Uberti/Taylors 1873 Cattleman

Pince

Good morning, 

I purchased a new to me Uberti 1873 Cattleman in .357, finished by Taylor's floral engraving white finish.  It is tarnished(kinda a browning color). I would like some information on how to clean the exterior without doing more harm. And how to prevent this from happening again. Its not terrible.  Just my type A personality. 

Thank you

20220107_073339.jpg

I personally think it looks good the way it is. Unless you’ve got surface rust that will continue to destroy the finish (which obviously you’ll need to rectify) I think it’s going to be very difficult with that laser/acid etching to get it looking new again.  For a first step, you could try rubbing it down with G96 and a good terry towel. You might be surprised at the amount of tarnish that cleans off (personal experience).  Then, I’d Go shoot it  and add some more character!  Just my humble opinion.

Beautiful gun, sir. 

JJ

After expanding the image, it appears you have some rust in at least one of the cylinder flutes and some freckling starting on the end of the barrel.  You'll need to take care of that first.  Oil and brass wool.

Thank you everyone for the tips on cleaning and the proper ways of preventing this from occurring again. Hopefully I can get a chance to work on it today. Again thank you....

Any abrasive you use (Yes flitz is mildly abrasive) is going to damage to the engraving by rounding off the edges and blurring out the details. It is also going to make the pistols even more prone to corrosion in the future.

Consider the possibility that you may end up with something that while no longer tarnished, will look like it has been heavily abused.  I suggest you use Copper or bronze wool and carefully remove any active rust. Then treat the pistol with a good corrosion inhibitor.

In the white finishes look great from the factory but are highly prone to this type of corrosion.

Archived