SASS Wire Forum

$1200 for a turret press?????

28 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I can see a use for it for those that are very serious about long range precision shooting, presuming the build quality is as good as advertised.

Comments from one of the reviews:  "The press is very smooth and the turret locks up tight with no detectable flexure. The 10-position turret means I can have the turret set up to load up to 3 calibers at a time with no need to repeatedly change out any of the dies".

Will I be buying one, probably not.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I can see a use for it for those that are very serious about long range precision shooting,

Also for those who are convinced that having the newest, most expensive gear will make them better shots.  As the meme goes, you don't need a $2,500 rifle and $500 worth of training, you need a $500 rifle and $2,500 worth of training.

Like a lot of things reloading presses have become pretty sophisticated the past few years.  I was looking at a really nice small single stage press at a local store the other day.  Beautiful CNC work on the frame and precision linkage.  I like it because it was so compact.  $600.00.  Did not like it that much although I will admit I am still thinking about it.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Also for those who are convinced that having the newest, most expensive gear will make them better shots.  As the meme goes, you don't need a $2,500 rifle and $500 worth of training, you need a $500 rifle and $2,500 worth of training.

Or $2500 in ammo. Back when I was shooting IPSC I remember and article I read where the writer was talking about the hot shots shooting a $2000 pistol and all the finest holster etc. He said they were usually easy pickings. The guys you had to watch out for had a 2 year old pistol with the finish worn off the frame that just spent $2000.........on primers. I think I shot against that guy a couple times. Shot a wore out looking GI 1911 with the crappy military sights and home made mag holders. Looked like he just fell off the turnip truck. And he kicked near everybody's @$$. Come to find out he lived on a ranch 100 miles the other side of nowhere and all he had to do for entertainment was load shells and practice with that old .45.

JHC

31 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Or $2500 in ammo. Back when I was shooting IPSC I remember and article I read where the writer was talking about the hot shots shooting a $2000 pistol and all the finest holster etc. He said they were usually easy pickings. The guys you had to watch out for had a 2 year old pistol with the finish worn off the frame that just spent $2000.........on primers. I think I shot against that guy a couple times. Shot a wore out looking GI 1911 with the crappy military sights and home made mag holders. Looked like he just fell off the turnip truck. And he kicked near everybody's @$$. Come to find out he lived on a ranch 100 miles the other side of nowhere and all he had to do for entertainment was load shells and practice with that old .45.

JHC

Kinda like the old saying, “Be wary of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it.”

38 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Or $2500 in ammo. Back when I was shooting IPSC I remember and article I read where the writer was talking about the hot shots shooting a $2000 pistol and all the finest holster etc. He said they were usually easy pickings. The guys you had to watch out for had a 2 year old pistol with the finish worn off the frame that just spent $2000.........on primers

Well, that's training. ;)

Like the old guy who shows up the second week of deer season wearing jeans, red plaid flannel shirt, and denim jacket, carrying a less than new 30-30 lever action, and in two days has his limit.

Same guy who has his Western Auto single shot 12 ga.  and gets his bag limit of (name the bird) first day.

Archived