SASS Wire Forum

Out of interest - Tipping

Buckshot Bear

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

How many of you guys tip when it's just take-out?

Very rarely. I generally only tip when I'm being waited on. There are a few exceptions, those being mainly local mom and pop places that I want to give extra support. (The Holy Grill in Pleasant Grove, UT and Restaurant Morelia in Murray, UT are two such places.)

I used to tip 15% but with how hard the restaurants were hit by lockdowns, I'm more like 20% now. Haven't been tipping in cash but I need to start.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I did the other day. But only cause she was cute as a button and nice as could be. Absolutely beautiful smile on that young lady.

1 hour ago, Possum Stu said:

Very rarely. I generally only tip when I'm being waited on. There are a few exceptions, those being mainly local mom and pop places that I want to give extra support. (The Holy Grill in Pleasant Grove, UT and Restaurant Morelia in Murray, UT are two such places.)

I used to tip 15% but with how hard the restaurants were hit by lockdowns, I'm more like 20% now. Haven't been tipping in cash but I need to start.

I only tip in cash. Then they can pocket it and Uncle doesn't get a share.

I don’t tip carry out places and I DON’T go to McDonalds, EVER!

The one exception is when I place a large to go order at the counter of a mom ‘n’ pop place with lots of special menu substitutions.

I’ve been known to ask for the cook/chef when I receive an extraordinary meal so that I can tip him/her separately!

I only tip in cash.  Schoolmarm will occasionally add a tip to our bill on her debit card, but she fills in an amount that we agree is appropriate.

Generally, we tip in excess of 20% unless we’re disappointed with the service or the food and ALWAYS include an explanation if we are dissatisfied.

Schoolmarm worked her way through college as a waitress/server and we both appreciate a good effort by wait staff and food prep workers!!

22 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

In Europe they do not tip.  With every restaurant in my area having help wanted signs in their doors and starting wages being way UP I am wondering if us peasants should start rethinking the need to tip?  The local fast food burger places are advertising starting wage from $18 to $20 per hour.  Lunches that just a couple of months ago cost me $15.00 (before tip) now run $20.00.

Not strictly true - typically you just round up

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It depends.  If the waiter has to package up the items and add utensils, napkins etc (like say Chili's ) then I do - usually 5-10% and round up.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

MacDonalds?  No.  A restaurant where wait staff have to deliver your food outside due to Covid?  Absolutely.  

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

So its looking to me that tipping is only for food related service industry is that right?

No you tip porters, cab drivers, bell boys etc too.

So its looking to me that tipping is only for food related service industry is that right?

Out of curiosity, why the interest in tipping?  How does it generally work in Australia?

Not to me. Around Christmas we tip our long time UPS driver, our mail lady, I picked up a couple of prescriptions from our little local pharmacy yesterday and let the young lady that rang me up keep the change, it was about $4.00, she is always so nice when I phone in my renewals and just as nice when I pick them up. My grandson and I went out to Morton’s for my annual birthday dinner with him and I tipped the valet because he was the only one working it that night and running his ass of, he deserved it. There are others but I can’t think of them right now.

1 minute ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Out of curiosity, why the interest in tipping?  How does it generally work in Australia?

Watching Curb your enthusiasm and Seinfeld and it comes up a lot and just something that peaked my interest to find out more about.

Tipping in Australia is not a thing. Maybe if you got a cab and it was $24.50 you might say "keep the change" but its not mandatory or expected if you got 50c back in change that would be ok.

Its more a fair days pay for a fair days work is the norm here.

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Watching Curb your enthusiasm and Seinfeld and it comes up a lot and just something that peaked my interest to find out more about.

Tipping in Australia is not a thing. Maybe if you got a cab and it was $24.50 you might say "keep the change" but its not mandatory or expected if you got 50c back in change that would be ok.

Its more a fair days pay for a fair days work is the norm here.

What about for a waiter or waitress when dining out?  Or your bartender at a bar? 

I often tip service providing individuals.  The valet at Schoolmarm’s oncologist, my trash man, some delivery folks, etc…

I do my own mechanic work and many other things that some people pay others to do.

I have received sizeable tips for work that I provided.  Once $1,000.00 for a custom engine installation on a show truck.  That was over and above what my boss charged for the job.

19 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

What about for a waiter or waitress when dining out?  Or your bartender at a bar? 

Its not expected and in no way obligatory , we just don't have a tipping culture here.

The average waiter salary in Australia is $51,500 per year or $26.41 per hour.

30 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Not to me. Around Christmas we tip our long time UPS driver, our mail lady, I picked up a couple of prescriptions from our little local pharmacy yesterday and let the young lady that rang me up keep the change, it was about $4.00, she is always so nice when I phone in my renewals and just as nice when I pick them up. My grandson and I went out to Morton’s for my annual birthday dinner with him and I tipped the valet because he was the only one working it that night and running his ass of, he deserved it. There are others but I can’t think of them right now.

Is it really a tip or a Christmas gift?

41 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

No you tip porters, cab drivers, bell boys etc too.

Boat captains, hunting guides, valets, leave cash on the table in the hotel room for housekeeping.  

Just now, sassnetguy50 said:

Is it really a tip or a Christmas gift?

Boat captains, hunting guides, valets, leave cash on the table in the hotel room for housekeeping.  

It’s a tip.

24 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Its not expected and in no way obligatory , we just don't have a tipping culture here.

The average waiter salary in Australia is $51,500 per year or $26.41 per hour.

Thanks.  It would be interesting to see a study comparing similar sit-down type restaurant prices for meals, along with salaries, between Australia and the US to see what the salary difference is and how much a tip factors into the pay.

19 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Thanks.  It would be interesting to see a study comparing similar sit-down type restaurant prices for meals, along with salaries, between Australia and the US to see what the salary difference is and how much a tip factors into the pay.

Not sure Doc if this I found helps?

https://www.globalprice.info/en/?p=australia/australia-cafe-prices

When I traveled for my company I tipped the housekeeper.  One time in Harrisburg I had a two week stay and left five buck every day, company reimbursed, I’m not usually that generous. It was 1977. One day there was a controversy, a dishonest maid heard of the tips and slipped into the room to steal the tip and left. It wasn’t her room to clean. I became a lot more stingy after that.

3 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.............. so, .... this thread has nothing to do with cows .......   :mellow:

Maybe, but I don't tip them as well.

Archived