SASS Wire Forum

Out of interest - Tipping

Buckshot Bear

Out of interest - Tipping

How much do you tip someone?

Who gets tipped?

Who doesn't get tipped?

Do waitress's get paid less by their bosses and the tips are supposed to make up for the low wages?

What would happen if you didn't tip someone?

If you tip at a restaurant for good service does that waiter/waitress get the tip or is it communal?

What happens to tourists say from Australia who don't know about tipping......are they asked/reminded to tip?

Is tipping the same in Canada as the States?

I don't know anything for sure.  But I do tip.  More if the service is exceptional, less if it sucks.  My understanding from some time ago is that the wait staff is paid less than minimum wage and the tips make up for that.  But I could be wrong.

I also seem to recall that tips are shared with the busboy and others at the restaurant.

15% minimum typically for average service.  Extra for outstanding friendly service, especially at a place you expect to patronize again.  They will remember you.  We eat at the same restaurant every Wednesday, we know the waiters by name.  For a meal costing $32, I give the waiter $40 and tell him its his.  We get very good service.

I almost always tip 15% cash. For good service, a friendly smile and asking how the food was, that gets 20%, again cash.

I generally never use plastic to pay for food and when I do, the tip is always paid to the service provider in cash.

Tips are a regional thing. In USA it is customary to tip 15% for ordinary service, more for exceptional service.  Large parties often just have 15% added to the bill.  There is a story of the time than Alan Dershowitz hosted a party and refused to pay the assessed 15% because service was poor. He was arrested. But it was ruled that he paid for the meal but the tip was a civil matter to be settled in Small Claims Court.  He said to the judge that the service was poor. The judge agreed that service was poor in that restaurant even for normal customers and dismissed the case.

I typically tip 20% for good service.  With Covid affecting our local businesses, I've up that to 25%- 30% and sometimes as much as  100% depending on the bill (ie.  $5 breakfast, if service was good, I'll give the waitress a $10 and tell her to keep the change).  In our area, the wait staff took a real beating at the start of the Covid crisis.  Try to give credit to those who are actually back to work.  Just my .02.

In Europe they do not tip.  With every restaurant in my area having help wanted signs in their doors and starting wages being way UP I am wondering if us peasants should start rethinking the need to tip?  The local fast food burger places are advertising starting wage from $18 to $20 per hour.  Lunches that just a couple of months ago cost me $15.00 (before tip) now run $20.00.

I figure minimal tips at 15% and then round up to the nearest dollar.  Better the  service, the more that's added to that and it's paid in cash.

For really, really crappy service, I tip 15% to the penny, put it on the card (so they don't get it immediately) AND I speak with the management. 

My first job was in restaurant management and I still speak enough of the language that I can convince them that something was badly wrong with my experience.

I tip 20%. I've never actually encountered really bad service, at least not for a long time. For years I tipped 15%, but when the time came I could afford it, I've done 20%. Everybody has to make a living.

I tip more now and then under special circumstances.

15-20% for average-good service.  The worst tip possible is one penny.  It shows you are extremely dissatisfied with the service rather than being extremely cheap.  Tipping in cash allows the waiter to decide what they report to the IRS.  States started regulation making the restaurant eat the credit card fees and payout quickly in hopes to collect income tax.

The tip is paid directly to the waiter or left on the table for the waiter to pickup.  Some people pay the tip on the bill, especially for a business expense report.

Some state laws protect the wait staff from paying a part of tips to management/owners.  It is common for wait staff to pay a portion to the host and busser, sometimes the bar tender and cook.

The minimum wages for tipped workers varies by the state, the employees monthly tips, possibly the number of employees, possibly the annual sales of the employer, probably other factors.  Federally there is the Fair Labor Standards Act.  

Nothing would happen the first time I didn't tip.  Tipping is the last thing done before leaving.  The waiter won't know I'm not tipping until we left the table.  They will remember and spread word of me not tipping.  Don't expect short wait times, premium tables, good service the next time.  

Tip pooling does exist.  I've only known one waitress who did it.  She said it was supposed to create better comradery because it didn't matter who was assigned the premium tables or who was seated in your section.  

Your travel agent or tour guide will remind you to tip.  The wait staff should not educate you on local customs if you don't ask.  Nothing should happen to you as a visitor.  Maybe the staff would remind you in a less polite region.

As an American who was raised to tip, I tip out of habbit, including international travel.

On a related note, it was common to leave cash on the table with the bill and walk out of the restaurant.  Italy is the only place I've been physically restrained from leaving for doing this.

Also, the tip should be a percentage of the theretical bill not the actual bill.  For example if you have a coupon you tip as if it was full price.  If you stay at the table for an excessive time after eating, you tip as if you continued ordering drinks.

A lot of places at least around here show on the bottom of the bill the tip at different percentages 15% = $; 20% = $, I guess it’s a reminder and makes it easier to figure out.  I try to always tip in cash.  My aunt was a waitress in a diner for years and told me that if no tip was left she could think that they forgot, but if someone left like $.25 then she knew they didn’t forget the tip, and just didn’t like something.  

In Aussie you rarely see tipping, it does happen but not often...our waitreesses depending on where they work may get up to $ 30 per hour or more  & they also   get penalty rates, we have overall better pay, holiday, long service etc rates than the USA but we pay thru the roof for everything..if for example you look at house, car &. fuel prices they are just plain stupid !!

I admitt when I have been to the USA tipping is not something I am used to..with everything associated with the cost of getting & being there it's already an expensive trip..not complaining just stating facts.

In USA waiters are exempt from minimum wage laws and have a lower minimum wage. “Because they get tips”

’bout 31 years ago, Ponderosa and Bonanza Steak Houses were sued by the State of NH for cheating on that lower wage. They said that their service people were getting tips and that justified the lower pay scale. In fact tips were rare.

I tip based on the quality of service.  My base is 20% for average service.  I have tipped 100% and  higher many times.  I try to have cash for the tip, but don't always manage, so sometimes it goes on the card.

I have a friend, (one of my drummers) who is a professional waiter. He works in a restaurant that pays him NOTHING in salary or hourly wage!!  He receives a percentage of what he sells to his customers.  

In such an establishment, tipping is more than expected. Tips represent your level of satisfaction with both the quality of the food and the quality of the service!

He usually makes really good money, but he works hard to see that diners are really pleased!!

20% on average, sometimes more if the server is really good........or really cute:wub::lol: I'm kidding 

Why is it we continue to allow Restraunts get away with not paying regular wages like every other business in the US? Tips are just that tips, I shouldn't be pushed to pay the salary of the waiter/waitress. That is the responsibility of the restraunt. Funny how when I was growing up no establishment pushed you to pay a certain percentage to the waiter/waitress. Back then if you left 20% plus you was thought to be a big tipper, rich or just crazy.

A couple of times a month I go to a little cafe that makes the best eggs Benedict and I always make it a habit to visit just before Christmas. The waitress that has been waiting on me for the last 10-12 years or so always makes sure my coffee cup is full and visits a little when she can. I leave her a rather large tip and this year I left a $100.00 bill on the table when I left and as I was backing my truck out she came out and stopped me and told me how much my tips over the years have helped her out. I left the cook a separate tip, he deserved it too.

One thing to remember....wait staff don't make the food. When the food is bad, slow to get to the table or cold, I usually tell the waiter about it. They way they solve the problem will depend on how the tip is handled. I usually tell management too.

I usually leave between 25 to 30%. I will leave more if the service is outstanding, which these days is rare. The percentage rate will decrease from 25% on down for poor service. There is only one instance that I left a "piss poor service" tip and that was a quarter (.25) on a $40 mol bill. There was one other couple in the restaurant besides my gal and myself. The waitress showed up a total of two times, once 20 minutes after being seated (she had the audacity to ask if we had decided on what to order) and once to bring us our lukewarm, mediocre food and never came back. I had to walk into the kitchen to get our bill. The manager (at least that's what he claimed to be) came out to cash us out. I told him what a piss poor waitress he had, paid the bill and left...we never went back. The place went out of business about 6 months later. Prior to that, it had been one of my gal's favorite places to eat.

When I was a freshman/sophomore high school  teenager, I worked in restaurants. The joke was that the only way you could get a Canadian to tip was to put him in a canoe.

Tipping Has gotten out of Hand !!!!

You are Now Expected to tip even when you get lousy service , this is more so in the USA than in Canada, but it's headed North ...

Tipping is an excuse to pay the staff poorly, but here in Canada they still must pay minimum Wage...

I do Not tip for Poor service here in Canada...  But I have noticed if you pay by Card in parts of the USA there is only the option of 15-20 25% tip and no way around adding the tip . Unless you Demand to see a manager or pay cash ...  This causes a scene and makes everyone uncomfortable ....

And I notice the tip is often added to the after Tax total so you are tipping on the TAXES. This Annoys me no end  

Jabez Cowboy

We generally tip 20% at a restaurant unless the service was really poor. Once I was so irritated I left a quarter under an upside down glass of water. Only once though! It can get expensive here as we don't subtract liquor or taxes from the check. Just figure 20% on the total. In Vermont there is also a 6% sales tax and a 9% meals tax! So yes, we are tipping on that extra 15%!

I do it too but it is amazing how many people have said they tip even for bad service.  I also tip on the total even though it POs me that I am tipping on tax.  I guess the solution is to eat at home but I am too lazy to cook.  I eat out seven days a week.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

A couple of times a month I go to a little cafe that makes the best eggs Benedict and I always make it a habit to visit just before Christmas. The waitress that has been waiting on me for the last 10-12 years or so always makes sure my coffee cup is full and visits a little when she can. I leave her a rather large tip and this year I left a $100.00 bill on the table when I left and as I was backing my truck out she came out and stopped me and told me how much my tips over the years have helped her out. I left the cook a separate tip, he deserved it too.

I usually tip 15-25%, but I always tip something.  If I don't like the service I'll leave two nickels (I figure leaving nothing could be an oversight, but ten cents is a comment) and tell the manager why.

I have also told managers that "I don't know what you're paying that lady / man, but it isn't enough."

When I worked in restaurants as a teen I was paid one $ less than minimum wage and had to claim one dollar of my tip money on my taxes to make minimum wage. The waitresses made great tips. We busboys barely got our $ from them. Met my wife in one of the restaurants. I'd probably have to claim her as income under the new rules. :P

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I do it too but it is amazing how many people have said they tip even for bad service.  I also tip on the total even though it POs me that I am tipping on tax.  I guess the solution is to eat at home but I am too lazy to cook.  I eat out seven days a week.

I think the answer would be don't tip as much. When the business looses workers because they aren't making enough they will have 2 choices. Pay a wage worth working for or close the doors for good. By playing by their rules and tipping what they want you to and even tipping on the taxes they will never change. As long as their profit never suffers they will never change. Let those workers go elsewher and their profits suffer then they will change and if not good riddance.

It is quite stupid they can't even make mininum wage to begin with. That law needs to change. 

In California, servers get paid the actual minimum wage which just went up to $14/hr for establishments with 25 or fewer employees & $15/hr for places with 26 or more employees. Next year everyone will get paid the same minimum wage.

As a restaurant owner, I don’t believe in shared tips. I think if you do, some waitstaff people will slack off knowing that they will get an equal share whether they give outstanding service or not. Also, I can see who’s been giving good service by seeing what percentage gratuities they are getting over the course of a month. We can have them tip out the bartender, bus people, & front desk, but not the kitchen. Our staff mandatorily tip some to the kitchen as they know if the food is good, they stand a better chance at getting tipped, but I cannot make them do so.

Covid hit us hard as we were closed for 6 1/2 months as our style of food was not conducive to take out plus we lost most of our staff. When we reopened, finding staff was nearly impossible! We were only able to reopen on weekends but are thankful that we survived & aiming at getting back to full operation soon! I noticed that patrons are tipping more than pre covid. I think they appreciate being able to go to restaurants again & understand the plight servers & all restaurant employees have gone through! We truly appreciate our customers that have stuck with us!

Sorry for the long post.

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

How many of you guys tip when it's just take-out?

I do most of the time, if I’m treated cordially and service is good. 

3 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Tipping Has gotten out of Hand !!!!

You are Now Expected to tip even when you get lousy service , this is more so in the USA than in Canada, but it's headed North ...

Tipping is an excuse to pay the staff poorly, but here in Canada they still must pay minimum Wage...

I do Not tip for Poor service here in Canada...  But I have noticed if you pay by Card in parts of the USA there is only the option of 15-20 25% tip and no way around adding the tip . Unless you Demand to see a manager or pay cash ...  This causes a scene and makes everyone uncomfortable ....

And I notice the tip is often added to the after Tax total so you are tipping on the TAXES. This Annoys me no end  

Jabez Cowboy

I cross out and write in what I think is appropriate before signing the credit card slip.

Archived