SASS Wire Forum

Favorite APP loads for 45 colt and C45Spl?

Slapshot

What is everyone loading for APP loads in 45 colt and 45 spl? I filled the case on both all but maybe a 1/8th to a 1/16th " from the top. Then a pc'd 200 grain SWC on top. Used the 200 gr becasue I hadn't had time to cast any 160gr RF bullets yet. But my plan is to use them in the 45 colt and 45spl to save on lead. 

Other questions are:

1-Is is it possible to compress the APP to much?

2-Is APP corrosive? Do you need to clean right away or wating to the next day won't hurt?

3-Do you need special lube? I'd read somewhere, where APP lubes itself?

4 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

1-Is is it possible to compress the APP to much?

2-Is APP corrosive? Do you need to clean right away or wating to the next day won't hurt?

3-Do you need special lube? I'd read somewhere, where APP lubes itself?

Per the manufacturer you should not compress APP when loaded in cartridges. Fill the case to the point where it is just touching the base of a seated bullet.

APP is no more corrosive than real BP. So Yes you can wait a day without worrying about a ruined firearm. The same is not true for Pyrodex.

No special lube needed. I shoot APP with powder coated bullets all the time. Have also used it with smokeless lubed bullets with no issues.

1. I fill APP to base of the bullet...no compression.

2. I have waited 2 days before cleaning with no ill effects. I don't make it a habit and clean that day. I know people who shoot a 2 day match with no cleaning without problem.

3. APP doesn't need any special lube.

APP's loading instructions

Wash your brass soon after shooting.  APP residue will tarnish brass.  APP residue has never damaged the steel on my firearms.

Oh Kay!!

1).  Absolutely.  APP should NOT be compressed at all.  Load only to the base of the seated bullet, or with a reduced load, you filler should only reach the base of the bullet.  I am partial to Cream-0-Wheat for filler.  Compressing APP will result in some strange velocity variations and pressure spikes.

2).  Nope.  APP is not really corrosive.  I have been remiss and not cleaned for 3 - 5 days without problems.  That's just me.  Don't take that for a recommendation.  Best cleaning solutions for APP are plain water and/0r PAM.

3).  APP requires NO lube.  None.  Nada.  APP residue is the lube.  If what you have on hand are lubed, shoot 'em.  No ill affects.  BP Lubed??  No worries, just shoot 'em.

I haven't actually loaded 45 Colt in several Lustrum.  I run Cowboy 45 Special.  My "pet" load is 15Gr 3f APP, 160Gr RNFP.  Or for handguns same load but 130Gr Barnstormer.  Were I to load 45 Colt, the load would be the same, just topped with Cream-0-Wheat.  That is the load I use for 45 Schofield for one of my rifles, Cream-0-Wheat filler.

The fouling from APP is not Cumulative.  It's consecutive.  Each round fired takes the previous fouling with it.  Really nifty that way.

23 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

APP is no more corrosive than real BP. So Yes you can wait a day without worrying about a ruined firearm. The same is not true for Pyrodex.

I've had people claim Pyrodex is no more corrosive than black powder. I discovered one of them was actually shooting APP and referring to it as Pyrodex, thinking "Pyrodex" was just a generic term for any substitute - kind of like every skid steer out there is a Bobcat, regardless of who made it. After that revelation, I didn't put too much stock in anybody who told me they shoot Pyrodex with no corrosion problems. ;)

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh Kay!!

1).  Absolutely.  APP should NOT be compressed at all.  Load only to the base of the seated bullet, or with a reduced load, you filler should only reach the base of the bullet.  I am partial to Cream-0-Wheat for filler.  Compressing APP will result in some strange velocity variations and pressure spikes.

2).  Nope.  APP is not really corrosive.  I have been remiss and not cleaned for 3 - 5 days without problems.  That's just me.  Don't take that for a recommendation.  Best cleaning solutions for APP are plain water and/0r PAM.

3).  APP requires NO lube.  None.  Nada.  APP residue is the lube.  If what you have on hand are lubed, shoot 'em.  No ill affects.  BP Lubed??  No worries, just shoot 'em.

I haven't actually loaded 45 Colt in several Lustrum.  I run Cowboy 45 Special.  My "pet" load is 15Gr 3f APP, 160Gr RNFP.  Or for handguns same load but 130Gr Barnstormer.  Were I to load 45 Colt, the load would be the same, just topped with Cream-0-Wheat.  That is the load I use for 45 Schofield for one of my rifles, Cream-0-Wheat filler.

The fouling from APP is not Cumulative.  It's consecutive.  Each round fired takes the previous fouling with it.  Really nifty that way.

Thanks for the info and the load. I have to cast some 160 RF with the mold I just bought and then I will get to loading. I'll be loading the spl for the revolvers and the colt for the rifle. Will have to remember to pick up some cream of wheat. Test runs will be made with instant grits.

Archived