SASS Wire Forum

What method do you use to separate your media from your shells?

Buckshot Bear

pistol brass I use the media separator, SG shells or the 50-90 I just pull them by hand and dump the media while they are submerged. 

If using the stainless pins you can fill the bottom of the media separator with water and it will be more effective. 

When I was loading and reloading commercially, I had 3 tumblers running daily.

I would turn them on when I left the shop ad they would be ready when I got back in the morning.

Used a 4 hour mechanical timer.

To separate cases from media, I made  my own separator.

http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/gazette/2011/media1.jpg

More information about this separator can be found

http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/gazette/2011/mar11.html

7 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

pistol brass I use the media separator, SG shells or the 50-90 I just pull them by hand and dump the media while they are submerged. 

If using the stainless pins you can fill the bottom of the media separator with water and it will be more effective. 

Put enough water in the separator so the bottom of the basket has water up the sides about 2". Keeps the pins from flying around the room.

kR

8 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Pour them into a colander and shake it works

About $3,  have used one for years,  it works.  Set the cloander on top of a 10 quart bucket,  fill the collander then shake and stir.

Blackfoot

11 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

THIS^^

With SS pins or Ceramic media you need the cases to be submerged and then rise up out of the water as the basket is turned. This washes the pins out of the cases. If you try to separate them without water, surface tension will keep the pins stuck to the insides of the cases.

I have a steel bucket I bought at a farm supply store, a plastic colander I got at Walmart that fits nicely onto the bucket, and an old flat metal frying pan lid I got somewhere. Put the colander in the bucker, pour the tumbler contents into the colander, add the lid over the colander, and swirl & shake the bucket. Been working well for me for at least 10-15 years.

None.

I use the RCBS for wet tumbling and the Dillon for dry. The RCBS has a lid, so no flying pins.

It depends on how many I am cleaning.

1. Cream separator strainer.

2. Plastic 5 gal bucket with .30" holes.

3. Deep fat fryer basket pan.

4. Dillon separator with tub.

Separator funnel.jpg

1/2 of a crayfish trap with a closed end inFrabill Black Crawfish Trap a 5 gallon bucket, pick it up shake and twist.

I use one like Sedalia Dave's in an above post.  It's not an RCBS, but looks just like it and probably was a little less expensive.  You want something with a lid so the media doesn't fly all over.

23 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have the RCBS version. For best results so not put more than 300 38 specials in it at one time.

RC_87076_RotaryCaseMediaSeparater_L.thumb.jpg.68084fbc1ca7c7514b3901dc609618d4.jpg

It looks like you just took that off my shelf.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

I have the RCBS version. For best results so not put more than 300 38 specials in it at one time.

RC_87076_RotaryCaseMediaSeparater_L.thumb.jpg.68084fbc1ca7c7514b3901dc609618d4.jpg

I use this also for wet tumbling separation of pins and cases.

put brass and pins in, fill bottom with water  and slowly turn drum.  The pins drop out after about 10 revolutions.  Pour off water, replace and do another 10 rotations as a rinse

Pour the water/pins off through a strainer and then they go back in the tumbler drum.

brass gets laid out in a single layer to dry in sun or overnight inside with ceiling fan.

BTW:  I use SS chips rather than pins as I feel it does a better job in the primer pockets and they don't get stuck

All I am is a satisfied customer--no stake in the operation:    https://www.facebook.com/southernshinemedia/    

On 1/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On 1/4/2022 at 10:25 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

G'day all, what method do you use to separate your media from your shells?

I use a wet tumbler and gold pans.  The tumbler comes with a "strainer" that lets the pins and dirty water out while keeping the cases in.  The pins stay out of the waste water via a wide screen gold pan on top of a fine mesh gold pan.

After that, I pour the cases (along with any remaining pins) into the gold pans on top of an 8 gal. bucket. 

During the rinse, any remaining pins fall into the lower pan.  Cases are then seperate from the pins.  Cases are rinsed.  Ready to dry.

2008823752_IMG_20200717_170005480a.jpg.694312e2d82e3e970b720d2bfffd1679.jpg   505999842_IMG_20200717_170026652a.thumb.jpg.49b50aaf217e975cedfb4bc39c343c54.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

notice bottom--will fit in a 5 gallon bucket to raise it up a bit--easier to use

I have a stack of 5 gallon buckets that gets it to belt level with is way more easy on my back

On 1/4/2022 at 11:06 PM, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Are you referring to black powder shotgun shells? I never read mention of tumbling fired hulls.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:22 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Those tiny SS pins are right little bastards !!!!!

The Turbo Tong Mark Nine.  100% effective.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.187a723734ed86e9ab560d6dcb34932a.jpeg

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.b9bc7cf9bb92e39bfd291e14d0c8607d.jpeg

I use a magnet to collect errant pins.

I was recently shooting with an older gentleman who confided in me that his wife was annoyed with all the time he spent shooting.  He told her that she really needed a hobby to help pass the time. He offered to take her to the range but she declined.  He told her that his arthritis was limiting his ability to separate the brass from the media with his trusty pair of tweezers.  Low and behold, his wife now has a hobby and the brass/media separation issue has been resolved.  
ymmv

Gringo

6 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Are you referring to black powder shotgun shells? I never read mention of tumbling fired hulls.

Yes brass Sg shells. I’ve been using nothing else for the past 4 years. 

The LYMAN tumblers I use have slots cut in the lids.  All I do is turn them upside down and shake em a few times and trhe

media funs thru the slots into a 5 gallon bucket.   The clean brass remains in the tumbler.   Then I remove the lid, pour the

clean brass out on a table, put the media back into the tumbler and all is finished.

..........Widder

I use the media separator (Lyman) twice-- first with the cases submerged, then again later turning it dry after drying the cases thoroughly in the dehydrator.  On the second dry separation,  I usually get two or three ss pins that failed to fall out in the first wet round. 

The second separation does take a couple minutes, but that's far less than the time required to replace bent deprime pins or disassemble the primer wheel assembly to remove a pin that falls in and jambs it.  

Archived