SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS, Anybody Shooting the Marlin 444?

bgavin

I'm just curious....
I'm well stocked in this caliber of bullets, both lead and jacketed.
On the surface, this seems to make a bit more sense than trying to stock for 0.458 which I don't otherwise shoot at all.

I'm interested in the later model Ballard rifling style (1:20 twist) that works well with my bullet stock and powders.
I doubt Ruger will produce this one anytime soon, as the 45-70 dominates that market.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I'm just curious....
I'm well stocked in this caliber of bullets, both lead and jacketed.
On the surface, this seems to make a bit more sense than trying to stock for 0.458 which I don't otherwise shoot at all.

I'm interested in the later model Ballard rifling style (1:20 twist) that works well with my bullet stock and powders.
I doubt Ruger will produce this one anytime soon, as the 45-70 dominates that market.

The main thing that was "wrong" with the 444 Marlin, originally, was the slow twist rifling that Marlin used...basically the same as for .44 Magnum, which wouldn't stabilize bullets heavier than about 265 gr. (Hornady's JFSP).  With a faster twist, heavier bullets in the 320 gr. range will work just fine.  If you have/get a .44 caliber rifle with the 1:20 twist, you should do just fine.  Don't know what Ruger is using in their Marlin's...if they are chambering .444 at all. 

I noticed that, so I ran a bunch of numbers through the Berger twist calculator.
I'm wondering if a faster spin rate is detrimental to lead bullets.

The Hornady #44100 200gr XTP at 2297 fps likes the 1:38 better.
The stability factor is 2.15 in 1:38
It is 7.44 in 1:20 which is over spun, but considered stable by Berger.

I looked at the Hornady #4300 200 gr Interlock flat point.

1:20 spins this with a stability factor of 7.44 at 2021 fps.
1:38 spins it at 2.04

My understanding for the stability factor is 1.50 < SF > 2.00 for military use.
Berger shows any SF > 1.40 as "stable"

I have a big stock of .430 HiTek lead bullets that would work well in the 444.
There are a number of plinking loads with AA5744 or SW Buffalo Rifle (same powder) for reduced loads.

I have the Hornady #11 load data for 265 gr FTX, but have not run the numbers yet.

[ edit ]

The FTX 265 gr bullet is unacceptable in 1:38 twist, as it won't stabilize at all.
Since the #4300 is now out of production, and FTX is the preferred choice, then 1:20 is the preferred twist.

I looked over the rifle, liked everything except the very short capacity magazine.

It's been a long time since I've shot or researched the 444 Marlin but I'm thinking I remember having to be careful with velocity limitations of jacketed bullets as most were designed for handguns, not rifles.

Indeed.
The XTP are limited to around 1800~1900 fps according to Hornady.
FTX Rifle (boat tail) range is around 1600~2500 fps.
FTX handgun (flat base) top out under 1900 fps.

I had a .444 for years, but never shot it much. I gave it to my best buddy as a wedding gift. He had a 100 yard one shot one kill on a Roosevelt elk. He said it never took a step. I don't know the bullet he hand loaded.

Archived