SASS Wire Forum

What to do???

Rye Miles #13621

During the height of the Covid stuff in August of 2020 I bought a Rock River AR 15 in .223/5.56. There was none around and a local gunshop had ONE left. I bought it. I've shot it once, about 100 rounds.  It's been sitting in the safe since. I was looking at it the other day and thought, "Why do I have this?" 

I'm thinking of getting rid of it and getting something I will shoot more.

Just thinking out loud here, pull up a chair, have a drink and tell me what ya think!

Much Obliged

Rye

It isn't a horrible idea to have a SHTF rifle that is widely used and is chambered in a common caliber.

Just look at all of the ammo shortages related to Covid and politics.  WHEN there was ammo available it tended to be 9mm & .223/5.56

And there is nothing wrong with having a gun in the safe that doesn't get shot very often.  I have a bunch of them.

On edit:  Most of the guns that don't get shot also fall into the category of " Can't replace easily or cheaply"

I'd keep it.

I don't know what you paid but they are coming down in price so you may, or may not, get your money back out of it.

Ammo is plentiful and coming down in price. 

One day, you may need it. Hopefully not...but one day...you might.

SIR 

around here , they are getting lots cheaper to buy , more on the shelves , more ammo to be had , at a high price 

good chance , you are gonna lose $$$ , on flipping it , it ain't eating nothing , therefore , I would let it sit in the safe 

the other side , IF you can trade / turn it for something you want , there ya go 

CB 

First off, I wouldn't have bought it. I don't like ARs. That's a personal thing. Like I don't like plastic pistols, and I don't like triggers that have a little Dingus sticking out in the front of it. Personal to me.

A few years ago I was thinking that race riots were about to happen. In my living room at the time were an M1 rifle, an M1A, an AK-47, a Mini-14, an Ithaca riot gun, and a Rossi 92 in 44/440. Not because I was expecting trouble - each was there because I had had it out for one reason or another, and neglected to put it back in the safe. And I thought to myself, "self, if a crowd of angry rioters were to come down my street, throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at cars and houses, which of these fine antipersonnel wee-pons would you reach for?"

I decided it would be the Rossi. Because I shoot it more, and am more familiar with it, and even though it only holds 10, it seems to me that if I fired 10 shots and there were 10 bleeding rioters lying in the street, the riot would disperse.

Many people, over the last 20 years or so, have bought ARs because this or that politician was trying to outlaw them, "so I need to get one while I can". They seem to have fallen under the delusion that that is the only thing they can defend themselves with.

So as I say, I would not have bought it. But, if I did buy it, I would hang on to it. There are very few guns that I have sold that I have not regretted selling. And as someone up the thread has already said, it don't cost you nothing sitting in the safe. I've got guns I have not shot for years. I've got guns I've never shot. Don't mean I'm going to jump out and sell them.

The AR I would keep.

I have one that has only been shot about that same amount.

But it's staying put.

However. I recently did kind of the same thing.

Had been wanting a Sig P365XL but hated to spend extra cash on it.

In the safe was a S&W 686 that I had only shot maybe 100 rounds. And even then

that was over 15 years ago. 

So, sold it and that was enough to buy the 365 and a couple extra 15 round mags.

In just a few weeks. Have already shot the 365 more than I ever did the 686 wheel gun. 

Infact. It's became my carry gun.    

I know I'll lose a few bucks but having a gun I'm probably never gonna shoot or at least hardly ever doesn't float my canoe!

If I could get a 66 or 73 or even a 92 I'd be happy as heck!!

If you are dead set that you're not going to need/use it, by all means move it on down the line.  I sold a couple of Sig P320s lately because I just didn't like them, even after trying.  

Due to matches slowing in my area, I haven't shot 20 rounds through my ARs in over a year.  I'm even having trouble getting my department's range officer to go to the range with me for a qualification, even with me providing the ammo.

But, that said, at least two of the six I have would be among the last guns I'd sell.  

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Look into uppers available.  Maybe you will find a caliber that you will shoot more.

I've thought about a .22 LR upper. Not a bad idea! Thanks

Load it and set it in the corner. If you want to move it sometime, check with me and see if I've spent all my gun funds yet. Kaya could always use another.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Load it and set it in the corner. If you want to move it sometime, check with me and see if I've spent all my gun funds yet. Kaya could always use another.

It's in my safe, and it's safe there!!:P I'd be interested in a trade also........

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's in my safe, and it's safe there!!:P I'd be interested in a trade also........

A trade would violate my new years resolution. NO MORE SELLING! Actually, that was from several years ago, but I needed to remind myself. 

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

…I'm thinking of getting rid of it and getting something I will shoot more.…

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You got fire insurance on your house?  Why?  Just in case!

I have an AR 15 and an AR10 in 308. Both are standard military calibers so finding ammo improves.

I have a plinking upper for the AR15 just to go shoot stuff, maybe never in a year,

I have a long barrel upper for the AR15 and 10. Both have scopes and both are set-up for "long range".  We are fortunate that our range has the ability to shoot out to 1,000 meters. So we shoot our AR's in long range competitions we set up. Both get shot a few times a year.

Also being a fat old guy I don't see myself doing door to door sweeps in a SHTF situation. I'll be the guy behind a wall shooting from far away.

I fully understand the initial thought....
I had a large herd of custom made electric basses... but only played 1 regularly.
Basses are not FFL restricted devices, so I sold them all off.

On the flip side, I'm not a game hunter but I did add a nice Weatherby 30-06 Accuguard to my safe.
For "just in case" when firearms can no longer be found (today) or when they are banned from future sale.

Once paid off, it costs nothing to hold it.

I understand this, but I'd keep it. I don't shoot my ARs much but I like having them around just in case. Plus, I picked up a couple of CMMG .22lr conversion kits for cheap plinking and training. 

I am one of those Alpo mentioned, who built an AR years ago to flout the various politicians talking about banning them. Two of my brothers did likewise. I don't regret doing that at all, even though I would much rather shoot my cowboy guns. I definitely was glad to have it during the craziness of the last two years.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You got fire insurance on your house?  Why?  Just in case!

I don’t feel underarmed without it. I have other guns!!

I also have an AR that I don’t shoot. Got a bunch of mags that are CA legal but a simple operation with a drill and the rivets are free and “Wallah!” Standard mags again. 

I actually built this at the request of the Bureau of Firearms for the OAG, Office of the Attorney General,  in California. Seriously. 
Being a good law abiding citizen I registered an AR-15 lower receiver that I brought with me from Oregon. They wanted the receiver built to see it’s final configuration so I built a CA Approved “Featureless” AR-15.

I have put about 250 rounds through it. Perhaps when I leave here I will turn it into a real AR and shoot it. Maybe…

ARs really don’t do much for me. 

My thinking is if there is something else you want, now or in the future, it is there and you can use it as fodder for trade or whatever. Otherwise, I'd hang on to it.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know I'll lose a few bucks but having a gun I'm probably never gonna shoot or at least hardly ever doesn't float my canoe!

If I could get a 66 or 73 or even a 92 I'd be happy as heck!!

Don't worry, be happy!

6 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

A trade would violate my new years resolution. NO MORE SELLING! Actually, that was from several years ago, but I needed to remind myself. 

Is  trading really selling? :P  :ph34r:

Normally I would say keep it. (It's a very handy tool one might need to have.) But if you could make money on it perhaps sell it. 

You could hang onto it until the next panic….I recall mass panic around 2011/12 where I unloaded lots of drum mags, ammo, and an AR 10 at stupid prices and bought low demand weapons I wanted which tend to cycle.  Did the same thing over Covid, sold lots of stuff that I hadn’t used forever for once again stupid money…including a Ruger piston 556.  Imagine my surprise when I got more than I paid for it and a year before I would have taken half what I paid.  I’m actually buying more right now to use the funds from sales, as my tastes have changed over time and continue to change.

If you can stomach a loss, depending on how you bought it, and it’s not too big, if moving it along gets you a new toy now rather than waiting what the heck.  We only live once.  

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

An AR is a 'naughty' gun in Oz and something that now I'll never be able to own.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Don't think of it as "An AR-15 Rifle." Think of it as "An AR Platform Base" that is easily converted to multiple calibers calibres to suit different needs.

The problem ain't the calibre-s, .......... it's the "semi-auto-ness" of the whole thing that is the problem   :(

Unilaterally, without any act of the legislature, the MA Attorney General "re-interpreted" the definition of assault weapon.  Overnight, the sale of AR-15s, AK-47s and "similar" semi-auto rifles became illegal.  If you do not have one already, you cannot acquire one.  So far, no move to confiscate or force the disposal of those that are already in private hands.

I don't shoot mine often; but I'm glad I have it, and would not sell it if i could.

LL

9 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Normally I would say keep it. (It's a very handy tool one might need to have.) But if you could make money on it perhaps sell it. 

That’s what stopping me from selling it, I paid a premium for this when hardly anyone had them. I’ll lose money unless I can trade for equal value.

Thanks ya’ll for all the suggestions, I’ve decided to just keep it and hopefully shoot it a couple times this year. I do like the looks of it and it shoots great!

Thanks again folks!!

Rye -_-

IMG_2129.JPG

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

good basic tool to have in the safe - keep some ammo around as well , 

I've got about 1300 rounds!! B)

Archived