SASS Wire Forum

Is there many African American CAS shooters?

Buckshot Bear

I can only speak for Florida...no, there isn't. There are a few that still shoot CAS. Like many others, a few have come and gone.

I do RO duty at the local range in my area. There are many black folks that come out and shoot, just not cowboy type guns.

There’s a few. We had one guy who was a retired policeman, he shot a couple years and quit because of health problems. Great guy! 

The Lone Paladin of the Square Circle Wranglers.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

30.jpg

Not in my experience. I have met black folks at ranges that liked cowboy guns, but had no interest in Cowboy Action for one reason or another. 

Two that I know of.

One we shoot with a lot. Non Stop. He shoots around north Texas at a lot of the clubs and

has for more than 20 years. Good shooter. And helps tons of new shooters. Helped my wife a

ton when she started.

Shoots at EOT and the Nationals a lot also. Very highly thought of around here.

Also, a shooter from up north. Can't remember his name. Montana ??? 

He would come down to Texas and shoot Comin At Cha. Not sure he shoots SASS anymore. I know he

started shooting mounted shooting. Think he is a doctor in real life. Shot with him a few times when he came down.

There used to be a feller named Trinidad Slim in the 90s who shot CAS.

You might better recognize his other name. Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Tall fella. ;)

43 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Two that I know of.

One we shoot with a lot. Non Stop. He shoots around north Texas at a lot of the clubs and

has for more than 20 years. Good shooter. And helps tons of new shooters. Helped my wife a

ton when she started.

Shoots at EOT and the Nationals a lot also. Very highly thought of around here.

Also, a shooter from up north. Can't remember his name. Montana ??? 

He would come down to Texas and shoot Comin At Cha. Not sure he shoots SASS anymore. I know he

started shooting mounted shooting. Think he is a doctor in real life. Shot with him a few times when he came down.

I know them both. I have shot with Non Stop several times. The shooter from Montana actually used to shoot a lot in Maine but I don't remember his alias.

kR

I pretty sure he lived in Maine.

Shot under the name that had Montana in it. 

Name is bouncing around in my head but can't come up with it.

He flew a bunch of lobsters down to T-Bones one time.

My wife got in on that. But I had to work and missed it. 

almost every match I attended this year had 2-3 confederate flags on display on gun carts, stickers, etc... Doesn't bother me one bit, but might be an unwelcome sight for a black person

There used to be one down here in SoCal where there are millions of African Americans but he moved up north. Trinidad Slim quit shooting CAS way before my time in SASS. Painter Lady up in Las Vegas is about the only African American lady CAS shooter that I’ve ever met.

Not that I’ve seen. Of course, there aren’t that many in Utah to begin with - 1.6% of the population according to Wikipedia. 

We have one who shoots a few times a year.  His alias is that of a historical black officer.  I wished we saw him more often.  He is a dentist in real life.

I have shot with Non Stop many times.  Great guy.  What is evident about black shooters is how few there are in SASS.  OK Bear how many Aboriginal people shoot in Australia?  My guess is very very few.

One that comes to mind immediately around here is Isom Dart1!!  Black Powder shooter of some note.  Shoots a big ol' 10ga with big brass shells that have his name stamped in 'em!!  Good friend, great guy, and all cowboy!!  You can hear that 10ga from the other end of the range!! 

Proud and honored Warthog!!

7 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have shot with Non Stop many times.  Great guy.  What is evident about black shooters is how few there are in SASS.  OK Bear how many Aboriginal people shoot in Australia?  My guess is very very few.

To be honest Larsen, I can't even remember how many years its been since the last time I saw an Aboriginal person. I suppose maybe its a little like asking how many Sioux or Cherokee shoot CAS.
I thought there'd be a lot more African Americans involved in CAS/SASS, but reading all the archived Chronicles I haven't seen any photos. From the history I've read they were a big part of the West and are leading parts in so many Western movies and stories. Is this something that SASS has missed the boat on?

(There are a lot of blond hair blue eyed folks who 'identify' as Aboriginal here. You only have to tick the box or say 'yes' when asked "Do you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander" and and a lot of benefits come your way).

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

There are a lot of blond hair blue eyed folks who 'identify' as Aboriginal here. You only have to tick the box or say 'yes' when asked "Do you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander" and and a lot of benefits come your way).

Never seen an Aborigine for real. For that matter, to my knowledge I've never seen an Aussie for real. But the baby in Quigley Down Under - I started to say "a kid", but since the movie is 30 years old I presume he's "a man" named Cory Tjapaltjarri - has got blonde hair and blue eyes.

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Never seen an Aborigine for real. For that matter, to my knowledge I've never seen an Aussie for real. But the baby in Quigley Down Under - I started to say "a kid", but since the movie is 30 years old I presume he's "a man" named Cory Tjapaltjarri - has got blonde hair and blue eyes.

Alpo.....I'm downloading that movie as I type. Not sure if I've ever seen it.

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Alpo.....I'm downloading that movie as I type. Not sure if I've ever seen it.

Prepare to see what I am sure will be one of your favorite…uh, Westerns?

12 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

almost every match I attended this year had 2-3 confederate flags on display on gun carts, stickers, etc... Doesn't bother me one bit, but might be an unwelcome sight for a black person

When I was doing Civil War reenacting I met two young black men with either a Georgia or Arkansas unit.  They had done family research and found that their g-g grandfather, a free man of color, had put on the Confederate Grey and fought against the federals.  The abuse by o, so tolerant members of the public here in N. California was amazing.  Didn't, couldn't, believe that their black ancestor had been a Confederate soldier.

A few years ago when The Cowboys up at Norco had the Ambush At Mill Creek and The Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly the 10th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers would set up camp along vendors row. I got to know them pretty well and spent a lot of time visiting with them at their camp. Nice people and on Saturday and Sunday their wife’s would show up dressed in period correct clothing and they were fun to visit with too. The main guy had rebuilt a wagon that had been used by the Army in the 1880’s and we talked for hours about the work that he had put into it. I encouraged them to come out and watch the matches and sometimes they would but none of them ever became CAS shooters. We talked a few times about a Buffalo Soldier themed gun cart project but it never panned out.

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I thought there'd be a lot more African Americans involved in CAS/SASS, but reading all the archived Chronicles I haven't seen any photos. From the history I've read they were a big part of the West and are leading parts in so many Western movies and stories. Is this something that SASS has missed the boat on?

Unfortunately the common teaching about blacks in the US almost completely ignores their role in opening the west. They were slaves - all of them - then after the Civil War they almost completely disappeared except for oppressed sharecroppers in the south, a couple of High Profile former slaves.  They reappear in the segregated regiments in both world wars.

And, since the 1960s it has been drummed into them that only white supremacists have firearms.

1 hour ago, B.P.Gunns SASS#23578 said:

The shooter from Maine was Vance Montana. Shot at the Maine state shoot in 2015 but was moving into mounted shooting at that time. 

B.P.

That's it.

Have been racking my brain trying to remember his name. Knew it had Montana in it. 

Nice guy. Shot Classic Cowboy when I shot with him those few times he came to Texas. 

On 1/3/2022 at 9:54 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The Lone Paladin of the Square Circle Wranglers.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

30.jpg

I think he’s technically an African-Canadian, eh? ;)

That reminds me, a few years ago I watched a young NBC reporter doing as story on the immigration surge in Germany. She was talking to a group of refugeesfrom Somalia
Several times she called them African Americans.

They looked confused. :rolleyes:

I had the opportunity to shoot with Non Stop several years ago at Land Run. A fine gentleman and a durn good shooter. Also shot with another gentleman at "Dark Day on the Santa Fe" named Dirty Redd who I think is from from Georgia. He was a great guy and wore a beautiful double "Curly Bill" gun rig. I've seen Non Stop several times since but haven't met up with Dirty Redd again.

I think Hollywood can be blamed partly, they had hardly any blacks in Westerns at all. I’ve read they’re were lots of freed slaves that went west after the Civil War to  become cowboys. They’re were lots of black westerns made with all black casts but they were only shown in black theaters in the 40’s and 50’s.

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think Hollywood can be blamed partly, they had hardly any blacks in Westerns at all. I’ve read they’re were lots of freed slaves that went west after the Civil War to  become cowboys. They’re were lots of black westerns made with all black casts but they were only shown in black theaters in the 40’s and 50’s.

Exactly right about Hollywood. Do you ever recall blacks on Bonanza, High Chaparral, Gunsmoke, Alias Smith and Jones, etc… maybe a short appearance on a rare occasion but no every episode characters. I’ve talked to some older African Americans about CAS and every one of them told me that they’d never even seen a western show or movie, most of them told me that their families were to poor to afford televisions and most of them said they’d never seen a television until they got out on their own. So trying to recruit them by talking about the TV westerns and Western movies probably isn’t going to spark much interest.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Exactly right about Hollywood. Do you ever recall blacks on Bonanza, High Chaparral, Gunsmoke, Alias Smith and Jones, etc… maybe a short appearance on a rare occasion but no every episode characters. I’ve talked to some older African Americans about CAS and every one of them told me that they’d never even seen a western show or movie, most of them told me that their families were to poor to afford televisions and most of them said they’d never seen a television until they got out on their own. So trying to recruit them by talking about the TV westerns and Western movies probably isn’t going to spark much interest.

The only one I can think of was Sammy Davis, Jr. who was on one episode of "Lawman" in 1961 and two episodes of "The Rifleman".

Another one was Woody Strode.

Archived