SASS Wire Forum

SASS related weight loss

El CupAJoe

So, my dad, brother and I are in a weight loss competition for the new year, there's a $300 pot involved and that looks like another working cowboy pistol to me... Most weight lost is the winner.  I feel like I'm a middle contender.  My dad has a pretty easy time losing weight, but he's closest to his healthy weight so doesn't have as much to lose, my brother has more capacity to lose than me to get down to a healthy weight, but might not be as motivated, I feel like I'm a candidate to get rid of about 25-33 lbs.  main strategy for the next three months is going to be single servings at meals, no sugar and only light vegetable snacks at specified times if needed, get out walking more.  Any other recommendations to help a pard get a new cowboy gun?  I'd like to try for 10 lbs per month.

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

So, my dad, brother and I are in a weight loss competition for the new year, there's a $300 pot involved and that looks like another working cowboy pistol to me... Most weight lost is the winner.  I feel like I'm a middle contender.  My dad has a pretty easy time losing weight, but he's closest to his healthy weight so doesn't have as much to lose, my brother has more capacity to lose than me to get down to a healthy weight, but might not be as motivated, I feel like I'm a candidate to get rid of about 25-33 lbs.  main strategy for the next three months is going to be single servings at meals, no sugar and only light vegetable snacks at specified times if needed, get out walking more.  Any other recommendations to help a pard get a new cowboy gun?  I'd like to try for 10 lbs per month.

I have 80lbs to lose.

I am going to try to drop 40 by June.

I am going to try Intermit Fasting.

My choice is alternating every other day.

1 day 'feast' ***no restrictions (but still smaller portions) 

Next day only 1-500 cal meal to be eaten once.***snacks okay with healthy choice.

Will add that eating can only take place between 9am and 6pm.

(Drinking nonalcaholic beverages okay outside times)

No soda

No bread

No sugar

No carbinated drinks

Lower salt intake

More water

More veggie

***eat majority of calories in protien.

Going to try to lift weights and do Yoga (stretching/toning)

Good luck!!!

Eat what you want between 4:00 and 8:00 PM.  Drink whatever unsugared, non-alcoholic drink you want from 8:00 PM to 4:00 PM the following day.  Exercise a bit during the day, don’t go crazy or you will give up.  Do something fun during the day so you don’t think about food or watch cooking shows on TV.  :)

3 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Add some kind of physical activity you enjoy. If you don’t like it, you won’t do it. The problem with crash dieting is it’s not sustainable for any length of time. Your 3 month strategy ought to be a lifelong commitment. Otherwise you’ll be right back where you started before year’s end. 

I lost approximately 18 pounds or so in a 28 day hitch on the rig by eating mostly a carnivore diet. No to extremely little carbs, no sugar drinks. I couldn't be picky about how the meat was cooked as I was on the rig and at the cooks mercy, lol. I just tried to eat meat that wasn't breaded but did eat the fish and shrimp and never passed up general chicken. But I cut out all sugar, and I'd say about 90 % of my carbs. You will be drained first 7-10 days but after that you will get your energy back and your body will start burning the fat. 

I myself have a physical coming up in a few months so now Christmas is over will be going back on it and will start walking and lifting some weights. mainly complex lifts like deadlifts and squats, with some bench presses, and dumbells.

Good luck you can do it!

Cut carbs waaaaaaaay back.

Go to bed slightly hungry/don't eat anything after 6pm.

Lots of protein for breakfast.

I dropped 25 lbs in 90 days by doing that. Nothing else.

I have lost 48 pounds since last January. I cut portions, carbs & sweets. Excersized more (walking almost daily). Generally 1 pound a week is sustainable. 

Just sayin..............

Every time I go to a SASS shoot I gain Weight , Two 1872 Open-Tops , Shotshell belt , Gunbelt and Holsters, 6 rounds of .44 sp. & .38-40 ... etc....:D :P

Jabez Cowboy

23 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have lost 48 pounds since last January. I cut portions, carbs & sweets. Excersized more (walking almost daily). Generally 1 pound a week is sustainable. 

Just sayin..............

And that's how it's done. Good on ya!

I lost 50 lbs a few years back using the Myfitnesspal app. It worked really well for me because I was pretty religious about tracking calories and exercise. That's how I'm trying to do it again now.

10 lbs per month is a lot.

With limits, nothing in moderation is bad for you and anything you over-do can be bad for you.

Weight loss and maintaining is a lifestyle change - not a diet.

Cutting out most sugar and carbs is a good start.  Doing some cardio is also recommended.

Not knowing your health/medical history, I recommend asking your doctor.

No offense to you, but the first four to six weeks of the year is the worst time for me at the gym.  The next several weeks will see an influx of "new" members at most every gym that will spend more time sitting than exercising.  After showing up two or three times a week for a month or month and a half and not seeing results (because they're not pushing themselves at the gym and/or changing their eating habits) they'll quit coming to the gym until next year.

From Dec 1999 until Aug 2003 I went from 145 pounds to 210.

I retired from the Navy in 2013 at ~205 lbs and that's when I got serious about getting in better shape.  I cut out all sodas and rarely drink sweet tea - plain water, black coffee and Gatorade/Powerade (low sugar versions).  Bread is my downfall.  I don't necessarily eat anything specific, and I haven't cut anything out, I try to eat everything in moderation and try to not eat more than a serving per meal.  I am in the gym 3-5 times a week for 1 1/2 hours at a time; I'm currently up to 45 minutes cardio on a stationary bike (that's right at 13 miles, with the bike set on level 8 and random hills) and light weights to maintain range of motion.

I'm down to ~185 pounds now and would like to get down to 175.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Just sayin..............

This is the path my dietician is has me on also.  I'm using the Baritastic App, even though I have no intention of having the surgery.   It holds you accountable for what you put in your mouth.  That has been the biggest help for me.  It even allows you to scan the barcodes of what you are eating/drinking/cooking with to give you an idea of how many calories, grams of fat, protein are in a serving.  Even restaurant meals are in it so you can't use that as a reason to skip tracking.  The app is free.  You might want to look into this.  It has really helped me.

• 3 months later...

Thanks all, for the advice, I ended up loosing 23 lbs and winning, but the winning pot wasn't as big as planned due to my brother loosing his job.  Ended up getting parts for some of my guns, ammo and a harmonica.  Looking forward to having everything ready to go for a shoot in June.

I've lost over 100 pounds three times in my adult life.  By far the move effective method I've found is lean protein and fresh vegetables and fruit.  You can get good ideas on what to eat from looking at programs like Weight Watchers or Whole 30.  I had good success on Weight Watchers.  I already knew what to eat, but having to step on a scale in front of someone once a week was a huge motivator.  Another big help was having my wife be on the program/diet with me.  She has never struggled with weight like me, but she was more than happy to lose some a few pounds.

Another key factor is exercise.  Weight training will help you burn more fat than just cardio.  The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn all day.

Resist the urge to weigh yourself every day.  Once a week is plenty.  You'll have weeks when you've done everything perfectly and you'll not lose anything.  Stick with it and you'll have a big loss in a week or two.

After retiring, I finally have the time to spend time in the gym like I did as a college athlete.  Regretfully, I now need both knees replaced.  I can still lift with my upper body, but my cardio has been reduced to a recumbed stationary bike. 

Currently the diet that seems to be working well for me is:  Breakfast: a Premier Protein shake, Lunch: a large salad, with egg, nuts and some cheese, and Supper: a medium portion of lean protein and a vegetable.  I will often eat some fruit later in the evening if I need a snack.

I'm making progress again, but, for me, it's never been easy.  There have always been setbacks.  I've never had a sweet tooth, but occasionally I'm assaulted by "adult beverages".  Funny how a couple of good IPAs can destroy a whole day of dieting and exercise.   

Good luck and take home the cash!  Regardless if you win the cash, you're a winner by improving your health.

what ended up working for me, splitting carbs and fats, eating carbs only one meal a day, speed walking for long durations up and down hills a couple days a week and cutting out all sugar.  I noticed I lost the most when I could get out and exercise more.  hopeful to put off another 10 this summer, but it's been more difficult to get out and exercise lately.

Lots and lots of water. A realistic goal for permanent change is 3 to 5 lbs per month. Increase exercise to help change metabolism.  Initial weight loss will be the biggest. It’s a life style change not a diet. I initially lost 18 lbs the first month. I cut carbs permanently, no cheating. More fruits and vegetables and a good protein. I now have less hunger, stomach has shrunk. I’ve gone from about 225 to 162. This is over almost a year. No more beer or mixed drinks. I have now maintained my current weight for about 6 months. Haven’t had to take insulin for over a week because I’m maintaining my sugars

this is also a benefit to my wife.  Woman typically eat the way the husband eats. She has lost over 60 lbs because we eat meals together and she eats the same. ( no insult ladies, but it’s a proven fact). I’ve always done the cooking for 43 years which is different from most households, but the women typically cook for what the man eats. 

I once had a friend in the military that needed to loss 40 lbs in 3 months to stay in the military. He tried the yo yo fasting and nearly died. Ended up in the hospital for several weeks.  Losing to much to fast can be much worse than a slow gradual change in lifestyle. Also. Consumption of sugar makes you hungriest.

good luck my friend

A bunch of folks in my workplace tried this and all of them hit their weight loss goals and kept it off.  

Start every meal with a really big bowl of cooked vegetables seasoned however you like.   Don't put any other food on your plate until after you consume the vegetables.  Your Pancreas will tell you that you're no longer starving and you'll naturally take much less of everything else.  Then enjoy the rest of the meal, eating smaller portions. 

Lastly:

Eat until you feel full --not until you feel tired. 

On 1/3/2022 at 2:35 PM, Possum Stu said:

I lost 50 lbs a few years back using the Myfitnesspal app. It worked really well for me because I was pretty religious about tracking calories and exercise. That's how I'm trying to do it again now.

I also use that. It’s a great tool.

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Back in grammar school a joke that had everyone rolling in the hallways was:  "Hey, do you want to loose ten pounds of ugly fat?"  "Cut off your head!"

that joke had everyone rolling during the French revolution as well...

Stand in Texas sun mixing 50 yards of concrete in a 1 yard mixer loading all by hand, then use a hand winch to haul 5 gallon bucket of concrete 15 feet into the air, and dump into columns by hand.  I promise you, you will loose 5 pounds a day for 3 days

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Yesterday I lost a kilo-and-a-half .....

.............. I cleaned out my wallet ...   :blush:

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Heavy spender!

....... no currency was involved ... :(

Yeah. I finally got one of those slim wallets. Realized I didn’t need to sit on 3 inches of receipts, coupons, business cards, etc. my spine was starting to curve. :lol:

Find the calorie intake for your weight which will result in a reasonable weight loss. There are many sources for this.

Then eat as normally as reasonably possible within the limit. This will have you tend toward moderately low carbs, but is not a 'no carb' diet. 

Normalcy in food helps a lot. All of the junk food and most desserts go out the window, but good normal food will do the job. The calorie counting is essential to really know where you are. Never cheat on the count. Don't make the goal too severe; that won't work.

Upping the exercise is important. Not to burn calories-- you do that part by not eating them in the first place. But exercise helps metabolism, suppresses appetite, and strongly contributes to an increased sense of well-being, which helps greatly. 

Cut the bread and beer out. It’s gonna hurt but it’s gonna work. I dropped 30 on your strategy plus no booze or bread. I’ve kept it off too - I’ve added in an occasional drink and even more occasional bread. La Banderita makes a good low carb sandwich wrap that’s been a Godsend. Good luck!

Well I had to draw the line at no booze. :lol:

But in moderation of course.

5B530EFC-6036-4AAE-A8DA-282C0D778145.jpeg

You can enjoy a glass of wine at dinner, and a wee dram now and then, if you include it in your calorie count. That's the key. A lean steak, salad and veggies, a small boiled potato, a fulsome glass of red can fit nicely into a satisfying weight loss regime dinner. The key is-- one.

If you eliminate all junk food and sweet snacks, and plan, you can have real good, real food meals. I think that's one of the keys: you have to discipline, but you don't make yourself suffer with artificial regimes and special severities. That breaks down in the long run.

Archived