SASS Wire Forum

Boy I have a craving.

Utah Bob #35998

For pie. I could eat a whole one. 
come to think of it  I have a Mrs Smith’s apple pie in the freezer. Me be I’ll cook it up tomorrow. But the craving might be gone by then. Sigh.

Life is complicated. <_<

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

For pie. I could eat a whole one. 
come to think of it  I have a Mrs Smith’s apple pie in the freezer. Me be I’ll cook it up tomorrow. But the craving might be gone by then. Sigh.

Life is complicated. <_<

If it's a lattice top Dutch apple pie I'll invite myself up.

I have the makings for a blackberry pie in the cupboard, but the bake element on my oven crapped out last week and the parts to fix it won’t be here for a couple of weeks!! :angry:

There's a small bakery here that makes everything from scratch, their cherry pies, which are my favorite are awesome. I may have to order one.;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There's a small bakery here that makes everything from scratch, their cherry pies, which are my favorite are awesome. I may have to order one.;)

There was a little place in Willard, Utah called Jessie's Pies.  Been gone for years, but I have seen truckers parked for a half mile in each direction waiting for her pies.  She made the best peach pies anywhere with the best peaches grown anywhere (Sorry Georgia and Yakima Valley).

That stretch of road from Brigham City to Ogden is still known as fruit row and still grows marvelous fruits.

Not much I miss about Utah, but this is one of the things I do miss.  That and Grannie Annie's in Kaysville and theUSU dairy bar in Logan

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There’s a bakery in Cortez called the Piemaker Bakery. I dare not go in there. :lol:

Oh what the hell. I’ll go in there today! Life is short. 

One of the best pies i ever had was in the hills of Arkinsas.

Back in the 60 we were visiting a Great Aunt . When we got there she was removing a Black Berry pie, from the oven.

She cooked on a Wood Stove. 

It was fantastic. Was a shock when you were younger. Didn't know people still used wood stoves.

Aunt Erma was an impressive woman .

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

For pie. I could eat a whole one

Life is complicated. <_<

That is the problem I have.  What I call the one serving rule.  If something is in a bag or box it is one serving and I eat the whole thing.

Only two kinds of pie I'll eat.   Hot or cold.

I have never lost a craving for pie.  I have been able to suppress it for a time by having a brownie or such :) 

I think I may be "forced/coerced" to pay a visit to "J.J. Gandy" on Palm Harbor Blvd.  They do bake mincemeat pies in the Christmas season and if they don't have any I know they have the best ever Key Lime pies!  

Dang it, fellers. I'm supposed to be on a diet!  :blink:

I met my two sons for lunch today at a local family owned restaurant. The only pie they had was lemon meringue. I really wanted cherry but that lemon pie was pretty darn good!

Kaya and I took the dog to the cabin this weekend to get her (the dog) away from the fireworks in town. My wife sent up a fresh baked custard pie. Sadly, it did not survive the trip. (The pie. The dog is fine.)

I made a Mince Meat pie over Christmas and my Eastern Canadian son asked if I was going to make my usual Saskatoon Berry pie for New Years.

So I did.

Brother-in-Law visited from Montreal

Pie didn't last.

Dang Easterners!

12 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I think I may be "forced/coerced" to pay a visit to "J.J. Gandy" on Palm Harbor Blvd.  They do bake mincemeat pies in the Christmas season and if they don't have any I know they have the best ever Key Lime pies!  

Dang it, fellers. I'm supposed to be on a diet!  :blink:

There was a restaurant in Melbourne that had the best Key Lime pie I ever tasted. They were baked at home by the owner’s mother….when she felt like it. Sometimes they were on the menu. Sometimes not. When they were, it was a near religious experience.:wub:

A couple of you guys mentioned mincemeat. The daughter of the guy my father-in-law worked for brought him some mincemeat hand pies, fried pies, turnovers or whatever they are called once when my wife and I were visiting. When she left my father-in-law asked me if I liked mincemeat. I said yes and he gave them to me. He said they gave him heart burn. They were made with venison and had homemade crust. Those did not last long. I ate one a day until they were gone. Best mincemeat I ever had. 

All this talk about pie, and I just had to indulge in a slice of bourbon pecan while I wait on the last batch of Turkey gravy to finish running through the canner. 

5C550EF7-D204-49C4-9B09-70B297ED4EDE.jpeg

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There was a restaurant in Melbourne that had the best Key Lime pie I ever tasted. They were baked at home by the owner’s mother….when she felt like it. Sometimes they were on the menu. Sometimes not. When they were, it was a near religious experience.:wub:

Which Melbourne?  Do you remember the name of the restaurant?

When she was in her mid twenties I took my daughter out to dinner at this local steakhouse. The waiter came by and asked if we would like dessert. I told her that they had most excellent key lime pie at this place, and would she like a chunk?

She told me that she had never had key lime pie, and after I got over the shock of that statement the waiter suggested that he could bring one slice and two forks. So I told him to do that.

When the pie showed up I took a bite, and she took a bite, and she smiled a little and said that it was good. Then the waiter came back with the check, and I stood up to get my wallet out of my pocket and hand him my credit card. When I sat back down the pie plate was empty. The smile was a little guilty-looking, and she said that it was really good.

Chilluns. Whacha gonna do wif 'em?

We stopped at a cafe north of Rolla, Missouri that advertise sawdust pie on their street sign. Turned out to be hickory nut and pecan crumbs made like a pecan pie.  It was good. I think they only had it once a week and when sold out, that was it. It was a one time event.  We always watched when we went through but never the right timing.  

Archived