SASS Wire Forum

Question for Gunfighters; Does anyone make lowered hammers for Ruger Old Army revolvers?

"HH" (a.k.a. Dave)

Title says it all.  Starting to shoot "Gunfighter" style, but have stubby thumbs...Makes it a bit awkward getting to the hammer to re-cock.  I've seen lowered hammers on colt clones and Ruger cartridge revolvers but want to know if same sort of thing is available (manufactured) for ROA percussion revolvers.

Snake Oil George and Boomstick Jay have done them for me. They cut and welded the original ROA hammers. 

1B7088D2-02E8-4490-BF83-282401EF814B.jpeg

33 minutes ago, T-Square said:

Send them to Mike Brackett, and in addition to the hammers, he will do  a full service-tuning package.  He calls it an "Outlaw Mule".

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/services

Last I asked, he didn't cut/weld the hammers and his price list doesn't reflect that service.

Thanks to all who replied!

Not too keen to modify the original hammers themselves...was hoping to find something to replace them with.  Guess it would have to be a parts gun to salvage hammers off of to be modified.

Guess for now I'll just stuff more powder in em' (30g of 777) to make them jump enough for me to more easily grab the hammers for the next shot.  :huh:

Lassiter lowered a pair of ROA hammer spurs for me years ago; cut and re-welded.  Contact him to see if he still offers this.

RW Gripframes produces both a Super Blackhawk or Bisley style hammer for the Old Army. They are produced from the ground up and are not welded up”. Get your wallet out though, they start at $250 a piece. 

8 hours ago, "HH" (a.k.a. Dave) said:

Thanks to all who replied!

Not too keen to modify the original hammers themselves...was hoping to find something to replace them with.  Guess it would have to be a parts gun to salvage hammers off of to be modified.

Guess for now I'll just stuff more powder in em' (30g of 777) to make them jump enough for me to more easily grab the hammers for the next shot.  :huh:

I’ll give you 2 more options to consider. First change your grips to slim grips like these from  Eagle Grips.   I have smaller hands and the thin grips have made a world of difference for me.  Second you can try to find another pair of hammers and have them cut and welded.  I’d recommend 3 Cut,  James Club III, Norwood, NC (981) 474-3218   

Archived