SASS Wire Forum

To Brass or Not to Brass. That is the question.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Okay, start with the fact that you own these guns....

2092376436_66s.thumb.JPG.1d9e74e87b58de8df40e270856857f74.JPG

The top is an Uberti Henry, .44-40.

The middle is an Ubert 66, .22LR

The Bottom is Navy Arms 66. .44-40.

The .22 could go with either of the .44's to be part of a battery where you have a .22, a "main match" rifle, and a "rifle caliber" repeating rifle where all the guns are "the same."

Obviously, the rifle to get to complete the set is a 76.   But now the question.   In order to keep the "sameness" theme across the battery, do you have the receiver of the 76 brass plated so that they all go together?   Sure, no originals were done in brass, but neither was there a .22 66, so we are already into fantasy land.

Opinions wanted.  (And yes, this is just to have some fun.  :) )

Me, no way would I spend money on cosmetics.  My youngest would get the 66 in .22.  The 60 would be sold as I have no interest in dealing with the 'Henry hop' and the 66 in 44-40 would be a nice dedicated BP rifle. 

BUT, different strokes for different folks.  Plenty of people are really into that sort of thing and I'm fine with that. 

Howdy H.K.

For the sake of this discussion, I'd suggest that you look into a quantity discount and get your sixguns and shotgun brass plated when you do the 76. Or, move up one step on the podium and get them silver plated. Of course you would have to shoot nickel plated shells too. Or, just do what I'd do and forget the whole thing.

Rev. Chase

Well since you already admitted you are in fantasy land, if you need another brass rifle just buy a Big Boy.  :lol:

Okay, I get it, you want it to look like a Winchester.  If it has to be a '76 then a can of gold paint would be way cheaper, quicker, and easier to reverse (plus Hollywood-correct) than brass plating. :)

Better yet, put all you rifles together, take a pic, photoshop them all to look brass, and voila there is your ultimate fantasy collection.

One thing that getting an Uberti 76 and brassing it allows me to do is also keep a lookout for an affordable Winchester (Hey, I found an 86 for 1700...) to pair with my Winchester 73 and theoretical 73 .22 that I'll get some day.

I've already got a 92, 86, and 9422, and a small medium and large frame Lightning.

This game can lead it all sorts of collecting fun.

Brass plating is rather cheap, at least around here, so go for it.  Life is short have what you want.

Well, personally I wouldn't, but I'm not opposed to the concept. I love to have firearms that go in matched themes of one kind or another. All my CAS pistols are "artillery" (5 1/2 barrel) length, except for a pair of 1860 Armys, just for example. I'd just worry about the durability of the brass plating.

I think you should keep it period correct, get a Big Boy, it's brass framed, period correct for the 1996-present era...

1 minute ago, El CupAJoe said:

I think you should keep it period correct, get a Big Boy, it's brass framed, period correct for the 1996-present era...

Also, do you have any period correct Brass Cap Guns?  if not you NEEDS a Spiller and Burr...  Maybe a pair of them....

26 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Big Boy....    I'm left handed.   Don't like the Henry or the Marlin's for that reason.   And besides, it would not match the .22 or the Main Match Gun.

Granted, the brassing is just an option.   I "need" the rifle one way or the other.

"Period Correct?"  Meh...   This game is a fantasy, not historical reenactment.   And besides, what's so horrible about adding "custom" features to any gun just for the fun of it?

IMHO, it doesn't "completer the set" if it never existed way back then.

Archived