SASS Wire Forum

Hornady One Shot

Buckshot Bear

I have a one gallon plastic bag and put a good number (200) pieces of straight wall brass in it. I spray a little bit over all the cases and then close the bag and turn in over and shake the bag up enough to spread the One Shot to other pieces. It works real well, like giving your reloaded an action job. 

Kajun

Dump cleaned cases into a plastic container.  (Top photo.)  Give it a spritz of One Shot.  You do not need to soak the brass!.  Shake the container from side to side three or four times and about half the brass will be mouth up.  (Bottom photo.)  Give it another little spritz to get some lube into some of the case mouths.  Shake two or three times and let it sit for a few minutes before dumping into your case feeder.

DSC_0032.thumb.jpeg.0da08604c53dc6f34dd7d87f3ff6fb11.jpeg

DSC_0033.thumb.jpeg.f9efe9f0ca12a1c21c3909cb1ddd540d.jpeg

After wet tumbling with the armorall wash and wax I don't need to lube straight wall cases. 

After tumbling, I lay the cases out into a towel, shake the can REAL well and then spritz the cases. I roll them back and forth in the towel, give them another quick shot, roll them in the towel some more and then set them into a cartridge box until I'm ready to reload.

When they come out of the dehydrator, they get put in loading blocks and inspected for cracks/split cases.

Then I liberally spray them with One Shot, give them about 15-30 minutes to dry, and then reload.

I don't like to reload bad brass.

Mix up my own.   1 oz Lanolin to 8 or 9 oz of good isopropol alcohol in pump sprayer    GW

I usually reload 1,000 at a time to keep track of usage and help with inventory control of components. As I am reloading I have a separation tray on a towel at the far end of the bench. As needed I put three or four handfuls of brass in the case feeder, then I give one short “spritz” of the one shot to the remainder in my tray. shake it around and repeat when the hopper gets low. The lube is fully dry when I am ready to refill the hopper, though I use the towel to clean my hands as I go. Don’t need much and it makes the machine work smoother. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

13 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I don't like to reload bad brass.

Me neither. That's why I always finish with putting my shells in a cartridge box (the plastic MTM boxes.) It gives me a chance to eyeball the shells and because I shoot .357 I can pick out them pesky 38s.

I spread then out on a cookie sheet. Inspect then for cracks, 357 mixed in this my 38 or 45s mixed in with my 44-40s.

Shake the can well and give then a light spray. After they dry a little I put then into the brass bin on the side of the press.

23 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Me neither. That's why I always finish with putting my shells in a cartridge box (the plastic MTM boxes.) It gives me a chance to eyeball the shells and because I shoot .357 I can pick out them pesky 38s.

@Hendo

Used them forever, REALLY liking the new ones I bought recently that have a hinged lid over just the plastic. They stay open nicely!

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What's the method you use to apply Hornady One Shot to cases?

Are you referring to their One Shot case lube, or One Shot Brass Case Cleaner?  

I used to dump the dry cases onto a tray covered by a towel.  Spray lightly, then roll them around in the towel, then let them dry.  

Just yesterday, here on the wire, I read and tried Jack Spade's method with Armorall auto cleaner and wax, right in the tumbler.  The cases ran through the resizing die as easily or maybe better than with the One Shot.  So I might be changing techniques.

As an aside:  Try giving the carrier of your '73 a light spritz of One Shot Case Lube after every couple stages.  You'll think you got a new short stroke kit. 

One Shot also makes SG cases shuck more easily if you lightly spray the cylinders between stages, when you brush. 

A spray over your SG shells the night before a match will also make a surprising difference both in loading and shucking.  

I always carry a can of One Shot in my cart-- never leave home without it. 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@Hendo

Used them forever, REALLY liking the new ones I bought recently that have a hinged lid over just the plastic. They stay open nicely!

The hinged ones are awesome. Although I do miss the one handed dexterity exercises of holding the lid open with the pinky finger while putting the rounds in. :lol:

2 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I have a one gallon plastic bag and put a good number (200) pieces of straight wall brass in it. I spray a little bit over all the cases and then close the bag and turn in over and shake the bag up enough to spread the One Shot to other pieces. It works real well, like giving your reloaded an action job. 

Kajun

This is how I have always done it.  Quick and easy.

3 hours ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

I use a sheet pan   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Large-Nonstick-17-x-11-Cookie-Sheet-Baking-Pan-Gray/14913188

I get mine from the dollar (1.25) store.

I align the cases and spray towards the case neck, roll, pause and reload.

That's the method I use, case necks away from me, spray, tilt cookie sheet to roll cases, spray again.

Horace

I cut a piece of an old fluorescent light waffle grid to fit into a salvaged cake pan.

I shake the pan while I pour .38s, .45s, 9mm, etc. out of a coffee can into it after I tumble 'em; most of the brass ends up standing base-down and the few that don't are easy to flip.

At that point I can inspect the brass, check inside for debris, look across the mouths at a low angle to separate .38 from .357.

Then I take out the grid and use the tube on the nozzle to sweep a light spray across the cases at a low angle from each corner of the pan.

Yes, a little gets inside and I've heard people fret about causing misfires, but it's never been an issue for me (it dries fast), and noticeably reduces the drag from the expander die.

516311405_oneshotcontaminate.jpg.0fb5c1a3a0d4d35fb70918e66b04c509.jpg

The price of One Shot has gotten crazy, along with everything else! I use the cookie sheet approach also. Dump them in the 650 & 1050 case feeders, & it spreads nicely. It's excellent that I don't have to worry about powder contamination.

15 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Kajun

My method also.

Just read the labels carefully. Hornady has “One Shot” Case Lube AND “One Shot” Gun Cleaner & Lube. 

The case lube makes a poor gun cleaner and lube…guess how I know?

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just read the labels carefully. Hornady has “One Shot” Case Lube AND “One Shot” Gun Cleaner & Lube. 

In case you can't read the cans are different colors. :P

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.2a14879d1cd802ed44bce5ce226bd7d4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Betcha I know how you know.... :rolleyes:

I get the case lube in the smaller cans and the gun cleaner/lube in the bigger ones. I don't use near as much case lube as I do the gun cleaner, so this way I ain't gotta rely on my excellent eyesight. :D

20 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Mix up my own.   1 oz Lanolin to 8 or 9 oz of good isopropol alcohol in pump sprayer    GW

This is my method as well. The batch I've been using is 10:1 but I may go a bit heavier next time. It lasts a long time. The red bottle of "Heet" gas anti-freeze is I believe like 97% alcohol and works great. Very similar to Dillons product.

I just dump my brass 200 at a time in an old narrow box cover, spray on, shake a bit, spray lightly again. I keep the cases laying flat so as not to get any in the cases.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

In case you can't read the cans are different colors. :P

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.2a14879d1cd802ed44bce5ce226bd7d4.jpeg

I can read just fine. I ordered 4 cans of cleaner / lube from Amazon. They sent  1 can of case lube and 3 cleaner & lube. Somehow I grabbed the wrong one and I was in a hurry and spayed the crap out of the internals of my S&W 327 NG then let it dry out. I reassembled it and took it to the range. The trigger pull was stiff. 
When I got home I saw the can on the bench. That was a slap yourself in the forehead moment. 

I have just put a smart*** hex on you so sometime soon you will use the wrong thing and think of this post. :P

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can read just fine. I ordered 4 cans of cleaner / lube from Amazon. They sent  1 can of case lube and 3 cleaner & lube. Somehow I grabbed the wrong one and I was in a hurry and spayed the crap out of the internals of my S&W 327 NG then let it dry out. I reassembled it and took it to the range. The trigger pull was stiff. 
When I got home I saw the can on the bench. That was a slap yourself in the forehead moment. 

I have just put a smart*** hex on you so sometime soon you will use the wrong thing and think of this post. :P

"In case you can't read the cans are different colors. :P"

The YOU was the generic you for people reading the post.  I have been falsely hexed.:wacko:

15 hours ago, Max Payne said:

The price of One Shot has gotten crazy, along with everything else! I use the cookie sheet approach also. Dump them in the 650 & 1050 case feeders, & it spreads nicely. It's excellent that I don't have to worry about powder contamination.

$23.00 for 5oz here....what's the damage over there?

13 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Has anyone found a good place to order the one shot lube at a cheaper price. Local Sportsmans has them for about $15 per can. I looked a bit online thinking if I  ordered several or more I could find a better price. I did not.

Well no.  Prices on everything have gone up since January 20.  I think One Shot was about 11.99 for a big can at Sportsman's. Then they ran out and the shelf was empty for a few months. Now they have it back in stock and the price has gone up. Try finding primers or powder for what it cost a year ago or gas or bacon. Welcome to the era of Build Back Better.  Some things have, however, remained the same price.  Left pre-pandemic can of oil.  Right current can of oil.  Same price.:lol:

DSC_0002.jpeg

Yes, that's how it is. I'm not expecting anything to be dirt cheap. I just thought I'd find some online cheaper if I was willing to buy a case of it. Thankfully I'm well stocked on primers and powder. There's a couple of powders I wish I had more of but I have others that I can use. 

18 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

"In case you can't read the cans are different colors. :P"

The YOU was the generic you for people reading the post.  I have been falsely hexed.:wacko:

Oh come on, you've done SOMETHING to deserve it. :lol:

P.S.  I store my clean brass in big plastic bins so I use Mr Pettifogger's method.

Archived