SASS Wire Forum

Stainless Steel Media Pins

Buckshot Bear

Still waiting for my wet tumbler to arrive, how do you store your Stainless Steel Media Pins? I've seen some youtube vids where they pick them up with a magnet so that means that they aren't high marine grade stainless. Do they rust if stored wet?

I use a paint filter screen sitting over a 5 gallon bucket.  Pour the pins out of the media separator onto the paint screen and then dump and rinse out the bucket after a couple of days.  I leave the pins in the paint filter until they’re needed.  

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Still waiting for my wet tumbler to arrive, how do you store your Stainless Steel Media Pins? I've seen some youtube vids where they pick them up with a magnet so that means that they aren't high marine grade stainless. Do they rust if stored wet?

I store my SS pins in the tumbler.  No they don’t rust.

I store mine in a boot sock and take it with as I collect my protection money. :ph34r:

I let mine dry, then store them in a re-purposed plastic coffee can.  I only use them when wet tumbling brass from Black Powder.  When cleaning smokeless brass I don't use pins.

I separate the pins and cases using the same separator and bucket used for other media. Then I put the cases in a bag made by sewing two towels together and shake them up to remove some moisture before spreading them and the brass out on a large bath towel with a small fan blowing across them overnight. On a sunny day I put the cases on a large cookie pan out in the sun. I always use pins so the inside of the cases get cleaned. Makes it easier to see the 3.5 gr powder charge at the bottom with a light shining at an angle at it. I use a Lee 4 hole turret press and verify the charge as I seat the bullet.

My experience says the pins add unnecessary steps & problems (stick in 38 cases & break decapping pins). I get the same shiny results without them. But, "To each his own".

23 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

I separate the pins and cases using the same separator and bucket used for other media. Then I put the cases in a bag made by sewing two towels together and shake them up to remove some moisture before spreading them and the brass out on a large bath towel with a small fan blowing across them overnight. On a sunny day I put the cases on a large cookie pan out in the sun. I always use pins so the inside of the cases get cleaned. Makes it easier to see the 3.5 gr powder charge at the bottom with a light shining at an angle at it. I use a Lee 4 hole turret press and verify the charge as I seat the bullet.

It makes it much easier to see the powder when the inside of the case is clean and that does not happen when you don't use the pins.

kR

On 1/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, Cholla said:

I store mine in a boot sock and take it with as I collect my protection money. :ph34r:

Now that's funny right there, don't care who ya are !

Archived