SASS Wire Forum

What does the reference 'Warthog' mean in SASS?

Buckshot Bear

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If ya' see Sawyer, ask him about the first night shoot at Cavern Cove and four Outlaws from up at Possum Trot!!  :o :ph34r: :rolleyes: :lol:

If I still have video of that night I can’t find it on my computer.  Was a great night.  This is my 10 gauge, and my .36 caliber Navy from that night.

4926465E-BB9D-4FAB-911B-631921C6C973.jpeg

8DB71904-A3B0-4FBD-8135-E0BEF7018871.jpeg

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

Wasn't there a shooter on our posse at the Ohio State Match a few years back who started the grass smoldering and broke one of the targets with his black powder loads? If I recall correctly his shotgun brought back memories of the sound of a 105mm.

Could be, but I don't recall that particular one. I've shot with some real boomers in the past few years. Ole Rattlesnake was shooting some hefty stuff at Cardinal in the bays with concrete walls. Those rung your ears two bays away.

Mighta’ been me!  I did set a few ranges on fire and I’m pretty sure that Ohio was one of ‘em!

I shot Ohio State several years ago.  I shot Frontiersman and used my 1893 Remington 10ga double.  Sage Chick ran the timer on our posse a lot.

I shot many of the stages Outlaw style and on one particular 10-10-4, I knocked down all four shotgun targets without ever appearing to hit a single one.  The targets were really close, but the window through which we had to shoot was pretty low.  I fired four rounds and all four shots looked like they went really high. Each target slowly teetered and then fell.  

Tennessee Tombstone was spotting and he nearly fell out, laughing!  “Blackwater!” he said, “You didn’t hit a single one of those targets!  The concussion knocked ‘em over!!”

Sage Chick nodded, but only called out the time and all the spotters said clean.

On the final stage, I had five shells left. When I came to the line, I told SC that I was going to make a lot of noise on the last shot and maybe she should get a little distance when I went for the shotgun. I fired the first two rounds and loaded two more. I knocked down the third target and broke the Remington down and replaced the expended shell, replacing it with my last round. I closed ‘er up and let go with both barrels!!

When I finished the stage, that little lady called out my score and then turned around to me, grinned broadly and chuckled, “Thanks for the warning!”

That was the same year that my band, MILKBONE, played the banquet.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Could be, but I don't recall that particular one. I've shot with some real boomers in the past few years. Ole Rattlesnake was shooting some hefty stuff at Cardinal in the bays with concrete walls. Those rung your ears two bays away.

23 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Mighta’ been me!  I did set a few ranges on fire and I’m pretty sure that Ohio was one of ‘em!

I shot Ohio State several years ago.  I shot Frontiersman and used my 1893 Remington 10ga double.  Sage Chick ran the timer on our posse a lot.

I shot many of the stages Outlaw style and on one particular 10-10-4, I knocked down all four shotgun targets without ever appearing to hit a single one.  The targets were really close, but the window through which we had to shoot was pretty low.  I fired four rounds and all four shots looked like they went really high. Each target slowly teetered and then fell.  

Tennessee Tombstone was spotting and he nearly fell out, laughing!  “Blackwater!” he said, “You didn’t hit a single one of those targets!  The concussion knocked ‘em over!!”

Sage Chick nodded, but only called out the time and all the spotters said clean.

On the final stage, I had five shells left. When I came to the line, I told SC that I was going to make a lot of noise on the last shot and maybe she should get a little distance when I went for the shotgun. I fired the first two rounds and loaded two more. I knocked down the third target and broke the Remington down and replaced the expended shell, replacing it with my last round. I closed ‘er up and let go with both barrels!!

When I finished the stage, that little lady called out my score and then turned around to me, grinned broadly and chuckled, “Thanks for the warning!”

That was the same year that my band, MILKBONE, played the banquet.

I don't believe it would've been you. There hasn't been a band playing at the State since I have been attending, and I've not had the opportunity to posse with Sage Chick. I was thinking the shooter was Canadian, but I'm not positive. I know there was a shooter wearing a white shirt and black derby that was Canadian, and I was thinking the two were together, but I could be wrong on that.

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I don't believe it would've been you. There hasn't been a band playing at the State since I have been attending, and I've not had the opportunity to posse with Sage Chick. I was thinking the shooter was Canadian, but I'm not positive. I know there was a shooter wearing a white shirt and black derby that was Canadian, and I was thinking the two were together, but I could be wrong on that.

Maybe not.  I remember that I had a great time, we had a good show, and the steaks were EXCELLENT!!

10 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Here’s another pretty good example.  This is LoLo shooting on a perfect black powder morning!

Every Warthogs dream is shooting on a day like this. :wub:

Could be a Smokeless Shooter or Two that fit Right in the Warthog catigorie  255 gr . bullets at 900+ out of Pistols with the same loads clocking 1,200 + or  - out of the rifle.  Shotgun  loaded with 1 1/4 + of shot at better than 1,200 FPS ...

Jabez Cowboy

4 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Could be a Smokeless Shooter or Two that fit Right in the Warthog catigorie  255 gr . bullets at 900+ out of Pistols with the same loads clocking 1,200 + or  - out of the rifle.  Shotgun  loaded with 1 1/4 + of shot at better than 1,200 FPS ...

Jabez Cowboy

Ummm....guilty!:D

14 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

It's those in SASS who confuse artillery and small arms. ;)

Actually, it’s members of SASS who consider artillery to be small arms!!  :lol:

On 1/1/2022 at 10:48 AM, DocWard said:

Wasn't there a shooter on our posse at the Ohio State Match a few years back who started the grass smoldering and broke one of the targets with his black powder loads? If I recall correctly his shotgun brought back memories of the sound of a 105mm.

There was a shooter in the area went by Smoky White Cloud. Dressed Native American and you could tell his shots from anywhere on the range. 

I was part of some informal Warthog posses back then. We had some guidelines as to what constituted Warthog loads, which for us meant BP only. The overriding standard seemed to be this:  If you had to ask if your guns and ammo made Warthog, they didn’t. 

Good memories for sure. 

I seem to recall having to specify my guns were all above .40 calibre, shotgun was at least 12 ga. and describe the loads I was using before I was told I could use the WARTHOG appellation AND I had to say it LOUD, PROUD and CLEAR.

Humph! These youngun's

Like Cold Lake Kid , I seem to remember along the same lines .....

But I seem to have trouble with the Clear Part as it seems that clouds of Smoke gather wherever I shoot ....

And they gave the ok to my Sweet 16, Mostly because of the way in which she slams them there targets down ....

Jabez Cowboy

The Warthog's a peculiar beast

But not at all a pig

While some folks like a mousefart load

The Warthog loves them big

His powder's black as a witch's heart

"Oh no!", the posse whines

"Not him again" and they stand apart

As he steps up to the line

A thunderous roar and flame and smoke

Then issue from his guns

Screams issue from the womenfolk

He laughs at so much fun

No one can see the targets then

The smoke hangs in the air

The Warthog sports an evil grin

And heads back to his lair

Once upon a time I loaded my Walker for a hog hunt.  50 grains of FFFg under a 180 grain Buffalo Ball-et.  Didn’t shoot it that day so I removed the caps and took it to a shoot at Badlands Bar 3.  Waited till we got to the shoot through the window cabin stage to use it.  (I think that stage has been replaced since then). Anyway I backed up a step or two so the muzzle wasn’t out the window.  First shot a spotter screamed behind me.  By the third shot I was alone in the cabin!  I suppose that would qualify as a warthog load!  

All you Warthogs should try to come to the Dark Days match in Florida.  Kinda late in the game for this year, it’s held every year at the end of January, I think that they are accepting registrations until next week.  A 3 day black powder match that has warthog categories, Sultan of Smoke and King of Kaboom.  It’s a fun match what with all the BP smoke in the air how could it not be.  

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Warthog's a peculiar beast

But not at all a pig

While some folks like a mousefart load

The Warthog loves them big

His powder's black as a witch's heart

"Oh no!", the posse whines

"Not him again" and they stand apart

As he steps up to the line

A thunderous roar and flame and smoke

Then issue from his guns

Screams issue from the womenfolk

He laughs at so much fun

No one can see the targets then

The smoke hangs in the air

The Warthog sports an evil grin

And heads back to his lair

That's great stuff. Did you write that?

2 hours ago, Possum Stu said:

That's great stuff. Did you write that?

Yes. I only post my own scribbles. ;)

We used to have our own WARTHOG mascot.

He looked a bit like this:

af3ecbde3b92c8ce93878f61da0a70da.jpg

004e304084f926c53b66f34e1c9580d7.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I used to love to hear an A-10 made me feel safer. 

My wife and I saw four out playing today.

Archived