SASS Wire Forum

Florida Tri-Fecta In January! Shootout @ OK Corral, Darkness Falls, & Dark Day on the Santa Fe. Who's Coming?

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

22 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Well, the first phase of the Tri-Fecta is done.  Our first visit with the OK Corral Outlaws and to the Shootout at the OK Corral was fantastic!  The OK Corral Gun Club is an amazing place, and everyone we met was awesome.  The Cowboy Town is done up really well and I am very jealous of their permanent props and building fronts, it's obvious they put in a lot of work, along with heart and soul, to put that range together.

The match was a lot of fun as well.  Great stages, especially if you like movement, and lots of options for gun order and start position.  A couple of them made you think a bit as to how best to optimize the sequence based on your shooting style or abilities, but the options were there for everyone.  For example, as I Gunfighter, I always try to shoot gunfighter, even if there is a split pistol, and one of the stages had that (along with shotgun from three positions).  There was a place to lay down the pistols, or you could shoot Double Duelist, or you could run a few extra steps.  I saw it done each of those ways, but I chose to run, well mosey expeditiously is probably more like it. :P 

Weather held off with just a little drizzle off and on through out the day.  And the lunch/dinner afterwards was amazing.  Plenty of food, and it was awesome, and the pulled pork was amazing.

Got to shoot with Cheyenne Culpepper again after a long time and got to officially meet Shiloh Red and Polecat Joe, and watch Realtree work his magic on the range.  That guy has the knees of a champion.  I have never seen anybody who squats down on his spurs in preparation for every stage! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks to The OTJ for making me aware of this match and for all his hard work, and to Chickie Winsome, Polecat Joe, and the rest of the Outlaws for putting on such an awesome match.  God willing, and the creek don't rise, we will be back again next year.  Just like the Pony Express, neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail, will keep us away from the match.  (Ice, however, that might be a problem.....) :P

Now off to Fort White and the Darkness Falls/Dark Day on the Santa Fe double header.  See you all there!

Thank you for the kinds words.  We had a lot of fun putting this match on and are already talking about ways to improve it next year.  Thank you for joining us and we hope to see you again next year.  

I will see you this week at Dark Day. 

On 1/23/2022 at 10:50 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Well, the first phase of the Tri-Fecta is done.  Our first visit with the OK Corral Outlaws and to the Shootout at the OK Corral was fantastic!  The OK Corral Gun Club is an amazing place, and everyone we met was awesome.  The Cowboy Town is done up really well and I am very jealous of their permanent props and building fronts, it's obvious they put in a lot of work, along with heart and soul, to put that range together.

The match was a lot of fun as well.  Great stages, especially if you like movement, and lots of options for gun order and start position.  A couple of them made you think a bit as to how best to optimize the sequence based on your shooting style or abilities, but the options were there for everyone.  For example, as I Gunfighter, I always try to shoot gunfighter, even if there is a split pistol, and one of the stages had that (along with shotgun from three positions).  There was a place to lay down the pistols, or you could shoot Double Duelist, or you could run a few extra steps.  I saw it done each of those ways, but I chose to run, well mosey expeditiously is probably more like it. :P 

Weather held off with just a little drizzle off and on through out the day.  And the lunch/dinner afterwards was amazing.  Plenty of food, and it was awesome, and the pulled pork was amazing.

Got to shoot with Cheyenne Culpepper again after a long time and got to officially meet Shiloh Red and Polecat Joe, and watch Realtree work his magic on the range.  That guy has the knees of a champion.  I have never seen anybody who squats down on his spurs in preparation for every stage! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks to The OTJ for making me aware of this match and for all his hard work, and to Chickie Winsome, Polecat Joe, and the rest of the Outlaws for putting on such an awesome match.  God willing, and the creek don't rise, we will be back again next year.  Just like the Pony Express, neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail, will keep us away from the match.  (Ice, however, that might be a problem.....) :P

Now off to Fort White and the Darkness Falls/Dark Day on the Santa Fe double header.  See you all there!

Dogmeat, what a surprise and pleasure to shoot Okeechobee with you and Lil' Feathers.  Two more days of work for me and then off to Fort White for a terrific BP smokey three days!!!!

Wish we could have been with you folks last weekend but it just didn't work. Good news being is that we just finished packing the car and right after we get a couple of grandkids off to school in the morning and drop the truck off for some service work, we head south for SMOKE AND BOOM. See ya in a couple of days. Got another inch or two of snow today on top of the 13 inches already there. Ready for some warmer weather.

25 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Wish we could have been with you folks last weekend but it just didn't work. Good news being is that we just finished packing the car and right after we get a couple of grandkids off to school in the morning and drop the truck off for some service work, we head south for SMOKE AND BOOM. See ya in a couple of days. Got another inch or two of snow today on top of the 13 inches already there. Ready for some warmer weather.

Warmer than home, but still a bit chilly in the evenings.  Make sure to pack some cold weather gear!

Safe travels and see you in a couple of days!

All checked in for the 2nd leg of the Trifecta, Darkness Falls.  Range looks great and the new bathhouse on the range is very nice.  Battery lighting on a timer inside, so keep moving, or Darkness Will Fall. :lol:

Walked the stages for Darkness Falls and they look like fun.  Posse 5 is going to be a blast. Checked into the hotel and unpacked, then going to get some dinner before watching a little TV and to bed early.

Man, it's really weird to not be pulling into the hotel at midnight with a 6:00am wake-up.  Is this how "normal" people do things? :P

46 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Is this how "normal" people do things? :P

Define "normal". Not sure it includes any of our crowd.:P

Darkness has Fallen and it was a fun match.  Some new sequences, at least for me, and with a lot of smiles all around.

I did well, for me at least, on the first 2 and the last 1 of the six stages, but the middle 3 we're a self inflicted comedy of errors, but they were still fun stages.  Such is life, now on to Dark Day on the Santa Fe.

Day 1 is in the books.  I was on Posse 4, an awesome posse, and we shot the lower 5 bays today.  Good stages with a good mix of targets and distances.  I even managed to shoot clean today (assuming you ignore my miss on stage 2 :rolleyes:).  That dang All Four One and One Four All sequence on 5 targets (I've only ever shot it on 8 targets before) got my head churning so hard I forgot to aim! :blink:

For the most part, the stages are fast and maybe, if I could just figure out how to get those two dang shells in the shotgun on the first try, I might even be half-fast! :lol:

Day 2 looks to be interesting, one sequence I haven't shot before, the Boomerang.  Must have been something they imported from Down Under.  Could prove to he very interesting...

Going be chilly in the morning, well into the 30's.  Maybe that will slow down the locals enough to give me a chance to move up into the bottom of the middle third from the top of the bottom third. :P  Who knows, I may break into the top 50%! :D

Well, the game of 3D Tetris is complete and the truck is repacked for the journey home.  Not looking forward to returning to the cold and snow, but the journey was worth it.

Great Matches, Great People, Awesome Food, and an incredibly Amazing 8 days of Cowboy!  Already looking forward to next year.

I will post up some more tomorrow after the 15 hour road trip, but it's time to hitch up the team, shout YeeeHaaaw, and hit the trail!  Got to get home before midnight or I turn into Zombie!

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Well, the game of 3D Tetris is complete and the truck is repacked for the journey home.  Not looking forward to returning to the cold and snow, but the journey was worth it.

Great Matches, Great People, Awesome Food, and an incredibly Amazing 8 days of Cowboy!  Already looking forward to next year.

I will post up some more tomorrow after the 15 hour road trip, but it's time to hitch up the team, shout YeeeHaaaw, and hit the trail!  Got to get home before midnight or I turn into Zombie!

Thanks for joining us DMD!  It was fun catching up with you.  Glad you had fun. 

We're into the 5th hour of our 13 hour trip home. (No, I'm not texting and driving). WOW, what a great set of matches. A huge thanks to Colt, Yadkin and the entire Fort White crew for a great time. Stages sometimes made you think but nothing too difficult. The weather was chilly for the Florida folk but just fine for those of us headed back to sub 0° and 15 inches of snow. Food was great and the awards were over the top again. Just a fun time with a bunch of friends. Thanks again. We'll be back.

This year was another awesome 3 day smokefest!  Next year will mark the 10th anniversary, I know I’ll be getting my application in early, I got a feeling it’s going to be even better (if that’s possible) than this year.  I’d also like to all the poor unfortunates that had to posse with me, and hope that y’all left with as big a smile as I had. 

PS - If anyone sees @Scarlett at EOT ask her if she brought her balls :ph34r::rolleyes:

5 hours ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Wife wanted to know why I came back from a cowboy shoot in Florida with Mardi Gras beads:ph34r::lol:. Great fun on Posse 4

Got back to MD at 10pm and 18-degrees. Hope everyone had safe travels.

Good game, see ya in the shower. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Good game, see ya in the shower. :lol:

Ahhh......No.......I'm gonna let that one go.

2 hours ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Uh no! :blink:  You're a mess...Hope to see ya' at the Ides

You’re just figuring that out???:lol:  I’ll be there, and make sure to ask me about a posse prize.  Hell, why not just ask to be on the same posse?  Oh wait, maybe you wouldn’t want to have to put up with me again :ph34r:

On 1/30/2022 at 7:06 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

PS - If anyone sees @Scarlett at EOT ask her if she brought her balls :ph34r:

Oh, I AM definitely gonna take my BIG BALLS to EOT!  They go well with my Bull Horn! :lol:  Loved Posse 9 on Thursday and Posse 4 on Friday and Saturday!  Definitely going back for the 10th Anniversary!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

We arrived home around 11:30pm Sunday night after a, thankfully, uneventful return drive of 15 hours.  It was a shorter trip for Lil as she slept through probably 5 of the hours. :P  Got everything unpacked and into the house in about an hour so it wouldn't freeze solid in the truck, and then crashed in front of the TV for about a half hour to let the sugar and caffeine I fueled myself with dissipate a little bit.  Finished getting everything put away and playing catch-up yesterday, and now it's back to the grind, dang it!

First, I want take a moment and congratulate all of the Champions, from all three matches.  I hesitate to use the word "Winners" because everyone who showed up to these matches was a Winner!  Even though the weather was not up to Florida Standards, both Lil and I had a great time at the matches and are looking forward to a return again next year.  The Hospitality of the Florida Shooters, even to us "so called" Yankee's, is second to none.

We had the chance to shoot with some great folks, visit with some old friends, and make a few new ones.  The weather kept a few folks away (Saturday was Brisk!), but not all that bad as long as you kept moving, and we didn't have any precipitation to speak of.  Camp fire was burning for a quick warm up as needed, and the sun was out on Saturday to keep away the chill, at least a little bit.  Great couple of days.

As to how well I shot, well at the Shoot Out at the OK Corral, I managed to earn a Dang-Nabit with a single miss on Stage 2 coming in 48th out of 67 or in my normal position at the Top of the Bottom 1/3rd.  Had I not had that miss...I would have come in 48th out of 67! :P

At Darkness Falls, well that was interesting as they say.  I had three good stages and three train wrecks, well not exactly train wrecks, but certainly not one of my best performances.  Still, it was a lot of fun and I managed to come in 39th out of 59, or in my normal position at the Top of the Bottom 1/3rd.  :lol:

At Dark Day on the Santa Fe, things were a Rockin' !  Although I had two misses, one each day (Does that make it a Double Dang-Nabit? :blink:), I didn't struggle quit so much with my shotgun.  Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions with respect to that.  Everything from "Take that hammered double out to the road, and drive over it a few times, then toss it in the dumpster", and "Practice your grab until they come out of the belt clean, every time", but the most helpful was the tip from MT Chambers.  "That must have been one pretty Shotgun target.  You must have stood there for 3 seconds admiring it before you pulled that 2nd trigger.  Don't matter if it's down or up, pull both triggers, then look!" :blush::lol:  Advice I will certainly take with me into the future!

But, even with my two misses, I managed to come in 48th out of 80, squeaking into the Bottom of the Middle 1/3rd!  B):lol:  Watch Out Bucky, I'm coming for you! :rolleyes:  Now, full disclosure, if Bucky shot the match twice, and added up both his scores, he would have still beat me by 27.5 seconds!  Yeah, I'm sure he is shaking in his boots. :lol:

Overall, it was a great 8 days in Florida, with 4 fun days of shooting, and well worth with 2 days of driving to and from Maryland and 2,670 miles overall.  Heck even my Truck hit a milestone on the journey.  After the awards on Saturday, we made a final run to Dunedin for the night and to lock everything up tight until the next visit.  On Sunday morning as we were heading back home, just as we pulled off I75 in Alachua, , and my truck hit 100,000 miles!  Only another 209,000 mile to go to equal the miles on my one! :o

26826693_Suburban100kmiles.thumb.jpg.daa9d16d6720d6cbdacc77b306055bf9.jpg

To Posse 4, it was great to finally get a chance to shoot with Tequila Shooter and Scarlett whom I have know from the wire for a while now, and with Sixgun Seamus and Cayenne Kay again after a couple of years.  It was also nice to shoot with fellow "Yankee's" MT Chambers, JB Sledge, and Calamity Jill again.  While they are local up here in the frozen north-lands, we never seem to be on the same posses at matches.

Lil appreciates all of the help she got toting guns too and fro and she looks forward to returning next year with a new shoulder, and a whole lot less discomfort.  I was kiddin' her on the ride home how at the end of day two of Dark Day she would pull her pistol, elevate her arm to aim at the target, realize she didn't make it high enough, then use her left hand to push her right arm up the rest of the way, then drop her left hand before firing.  She didn't even realize she was doing it.  Dang I wish I had that on video! :lol:

Thanks to everyone for their Hospitality, and to everyone on our Posse's that let us play Cowboy with them.  See You All Next Year!

@Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L, It was my pleasure to shoot with you and Lil, I couldn’t have asked for a better posse. Everyone, well almost everyone was fun to shoot with (we did have one that showed their true colors).  I’m happy you made it home safely, and sending up a prayer that you break down and buy a decent snow blower :ph34r:   Please wish Lil good luck with her surgery and I hope she’s on the mend quick.  Looking forward to the next time!

Archived