SASS Wire Forum

Florida Tri-Fecta In January! Shootout @ OK Corral, Darkness Falls, & Dark Day on the Santa Fe. Who's Coming?

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

Well, it looks like 2021 is almost done screwing up the world, and I will sure be glad when it's over.  With 2022 is just around the corner, (Hopefully it won't turn out to be 2020 Too!), it's time to start thinking about the 2022 shooting season.  Around here, everything is shut down in November and will stay that way until March/April, but Florida beckons and we will be heading south again in just a couple of weeks.  In fact, our first 4 matches of 2022 season will be in Florida.

22 Jan 2022 - Shootout at the OK Corral in Okechobee, FL       Shootout Application

27 Jan 2022 - Darkness Fall in Fort White, FL                                   Darkness Falls Application

28-29 Jan 2022 - Dark Day on the Santa Fe in Fort White, FL    Dark Day Application

17-20 Mar 2022 - Ides of March in Leesburg/Taveras, FL            Ides of March Application

One of these days, I hope to be able to come down in January and stay straight through until after the Ides, but life won't permit that at the moment.  So, we will be heading down for about 10 days in January and then returning home until March when we will be down for another couple of weeks, hopefully.  Lil is having her shoulder rebuilt at the end of February so we are kind of playing that by ear at the moment.  I am signed up for the Ides, but she will be spectating for the event, assuming things have gone well enough for us to travel.

If you haven't signed up yet, Get With The Program!  B)  The first three on the list are just a few weeks away.  Hope to see lots of you there!

Looks like I'm the only one going. :o

Be easy to win my category I guess, but running the timer, spotting, and picking brass will likely slow me down considerably!  :P

I know there are a bunch of folks going, I heard about it on the wire, honest, so I suspect everyone is still recovering from New Years Eve.  Either that or they are hiding from me... :lol:

If it's just the two of us, I hope you bring a trailer for all of the awards you will win! 

Looking forward to seeing you, and the rest of the folks in hiding, in a few weeks.  Haven't shot up here since the end of September (lots of reasons) and I am in serious need of some heavy BP Aromatherapy!

023c505d8c5d1e04742e7f44c7701fa2.jpg

2 minutes ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Happy New Year!

I literally just finished loading for Darkness Falls & Dark Day. Looking forward to some Florida matches, like you DD, after I retire (this year?) maybe I'll be able to hit all those matches now that my daughter lives in Kissimmee.

MTC

Awesome!  We are loading tomorrow, today I spent at the computer publishing TVD applications.  Look forward to seeing you there.

First accumulating snowfall of the Winter is coming down now.  Not too bad here, just a couple inches, but it's actually a little worse south of us.  Sure was hoping to hit Florida before I had to shovel this stuff, but it looks like it's almost finished coming down.  Time for a fresh cup of coffee, then dig out the snow shovels, and gear-up to "play" in the snow.

538428024_SnowmanCowboy-Cropped.thumb.jpg.8ca882de252d7c50a776547eda642c8d.jpg

Looking forward to our first shoot with the OK Corral Outlaws.  Still working out the logistics of our travel.  I'm "supposed" to drive down to Dunedin on the 19th, with Lil flying in the evening of the 21st to Orlando, where I will pick her up and head down to the hotel in Okeechobee for the night.  With air travel being as screwed up as it is these days, we may just end up driving down together on the 21st directly to Okeechobee.  It's ONLY 990 miles.... :rolleyes::lol:

On 1/1/2022 at 5:07 PM, Preacherman said:

I'll help! Me and you. They're all skeered of you and are indeed hiding.

On 1/1/2022 at 4:50 PM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Looks like I'm the only one going. :o

Be easy to win my category I guess, but running the timer, spotting, and picking brass will likely slow me down considerably!  :P

I know there are a bunch of folks going, I heard about it on the wire, honest, so I suspect everyone is still recovering from New Years Eve.  Either that or they are hiding from me... :lol:

You two aren’t getting away that easy!  I can’t make it to the Shootout but I’ll be there for the rest of ‘em.  KABOOM!

3 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

First accumulating snowfall of the Winter is coming down now.  Not too bad here, just a couple inches, but it's actually a little worse south of us.  Sure was hoping to hit Florida before I had to shovel this stuff, but it looks like it's almost finished coming down.  Time for a fresh cup of coffee, then dig out the snow shovels, and gear-up to "play" in the snow.

538428024_SnowmanCowboy-Cropped.thumb.jpg.8ca882de252d7c50a776547eda642c8d.jpg

It almost got down to freezing last night, but thankfully no snow. 

11 minutes ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Just so long as your KABOOM's aren't as "exciting" as at the S.E Regional :P  

Oh God I hope not :blush:, I’ve still got a little scar from it. 

11 hours ago, Colonel Kraken said:

Looking forward to seeing you and Lil Feather at the black powder matches and Ides. Cheers

We look forward to seeing you guys again too.  Should be another great time!

20 hours ago, Realtree said:

Count me in.  I'll be at all of the above events!  

I want to make sure you don't forget to bring the anchor for your GunBoat this time.  I'm thinking I might need to tie it to your ankle when you shoot to slow you down to Dogmeat Speed!

il_fullxfull.762480271_8cxo.jpg

Well, another round of the White Death hit the ground last night.  Somewhere between 4-5" of light fluffy snow came down between midnight and 6:00am.  "Only" took 2 1/2 hours to clear off the cars and the driveway and now the sun is doing it's job to clear off the residue.  Popped over to the Chuckwagon to freshen up the coffee and have breakfast, and now it's off to my Mother's house to clear her 250' x 10' driveway before the deep freeze tonight turns it all to ice.  Might hit 28 degrees today, but it will be 15 tonight.  Looks like winter is finally here...

ChuckWagonInTheShowJamesBamaWatermarked.thumb.jpg.6803c01a49c841b2c04e38ec5f751386.jpg

Survived shoveling at my Mom's.  Tried using the snowblower donated to the cause by my Nephew, but once the snow got heavy, all the dang thing would do is churn for a while, bog down to almost stalling, the poop out a 2" x 4" x 8" ice block.  Could have used them to build an igloo!  After about an hour of that nonsense, I went back to the old tried and true shovel and complain method.  Couple of hours later, it was done, and so was I.

Based on years past, two snow storms and a ice event yesterday (turned out to be minor) should have put us in the clear for our trip, but it looks like Old Man Winter has a couple more storms on the horizon between now and departure keeping my exit on hold until the last minute.  Long term "InAccuWeather" is calling for a potential snowfall of a couple inches next weekend and then another that might cause problems on Thursday night into Friday the 20th/21st.  With Lil scheduled to fly out to Orlando the evening of the 21st, that might mean I have to wait until Friday morning to head south just in case the storm is so bad she ends up needing to drive down with me.  Heck, it's only 985 miles! :P  Keeping my fingers crossed the weatherperson is as accurate as normal! :rolleyes:

B8PL_PbCYAAtsEa.jpg:large

Excited for the next few weeks.  Two Annuals coming up.  The weather has been very bi polar lately.  We have been having 30-40 degree swings in a single day.  1st Saturday in Gainesville it got over 80° and this past Saturday we started the match in the mid 30s and ended it in the mid 70s.  So, my advice is to pack for all weather conditions, especially the Okeechobee match.  The one thing you won't have to pack for in snow, but it is Florida and rain is never more than an hour or two away.  

Less than a week to go and the "Weather" is coming in this afternoon.  Looks like we are going to escape with maybe 4" of snow, followed by maybe 1/4" of freezing rain, followed by warming temps and rain overnight tonight.  Depending on when the warm temps roll in and the precipitation switches to rain, it will either be a big nothing in the morning or everything will be encased in a Ice/Snow wrapper.  Personally, I'm hoping the rain washes it all away overnight, I have way too much to do before heading to Florida!

Still got another potential snow event on the horizon for next weekend, Friday/Saturday, but that's a long way off in terms of predicting weather.  Likely have to delay departure until Friday morning just to be safe and not leave Lil stranded at the Airport Friday night.  That would NOT End Well!

SnowDogMeme.jpg.20a4442a9debd516120febc36035a63e.jpg

Well, the Winter Olympics are over (for the day at least).  2 1/2 hours of shoveling at my house and 5 1/2 hours at my Moms.  We ended up with 2-3" of snow covered, then sleet, then freezing rain, followed by rain just to make sure we had a heavy, sodden, frozen precipitation sandwich.  That stuff is heavy!  Still probably another hour to go at my Moms, but when the winds picked up to the point it was trying to blow the snow shovel out of my hand, I surrendered to Old Man Winter, again.  I think the windchill was about 15 for the last hour of shoveling!

Looking forward to some warmer weather in Florida.  Even though the evenings at Dark Day may touch the upper 30's, we haven't had that as a high around here lately. 

1529262026_LilsComingWithMe.jpg.802292877d8994f962d108abf024919a.jpg

On 1/5/2022 at 3:51 PM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I want to make sure you don't forget to bring the anchor for your GunBoat this time.  I'm thinking I might need to tie it to your ankle when you shoot to slow you down to Dogmeat Speed!

il_fullxfull.762480271_8cxo.jpg

Good one Dogmeat.  Just nine days until Dark Days and just three until Okeechobee annual.   Can I get anymore excited!

Looking ahead it's probably going to be cold in Ft White next week. It's all Dad's fault!!!! He always brings that stuff with him. Colt, --- move to April, Feb, Nov maybe. A big shoot in north FL in Jan isn't the best time. Still gonna be great!

16 hours ago, Preacherman said:

Looking ahead it's probably going to be cold in Ft White next week. It's all Dad's fault!!!! He always brings that stuff with him. Colt, --- move to April, Feb, Nov maybe. A big shoot in north FL in Jan isn't the best time. Still gonna be great!

I'm not bringing it with me, I'm trying to outrun it!  :P  Calling for another 2-4 inches of snow today, but that doesn't bother me as much as the incoming ice storm in the Carolina's Friday afternoon.  Looks like I am going to be driving right through the thick of it.  I think if I can be on the road Friday before 4:00am, I may just be barely ahead of it on the way south.  Might have to veer West through the Shenandoah valley then south through Charlotte, SC, but that adds about 2 hours to an already long drive.

Going to look at the weather maps around 6:00pm tonight and make a final plan.  If I can get everything ready, I may head out tonight and try to get to Fayetteville, but there is much to do before that can happen.  I swore I wouldn't bring any work with me on this trip, and I am trying to stick to that, but driving south on I-95, in an ice storm, carrying enough BP ammo for 2 people for 3 matches might not end well...:rolleyes:

landscape-1506537373-blawn.gif?resize=12

Well, that was heck of a trip.  Left Maryland last night at 8:30pm with the goal of getting south of the incoming ice storm before I stopped.  Ended up driving until 5:30am before temps finally got above 40 deg, getting to about 50 miles short of the Georgia border.  The ice wasn't arriving there until this evening.  Slept for an hour in the truck at a rest stop, then finished the run to Dunedin.  That was a LONG trip!

Now to unpack what we don't need for Okeechobee, then take a shower and nap before I head to Orlando at 6:00pm to pickup Lil at the airport, then off to the Hotel and BED!

See everyone tomorrow, I'll be the blurry eyed one. B) :lol:

Well, the first phase of the Tri-Fecta is done.  Our first visit with the OK Corral Outlaws and to the Shootout at the OK Corral was fantastic!  The OK Corral Gun Club is an amazing place, and everyone we met was awesome.  The Cowboy Town is done up really well and I am very jealous of their permanent props and building fronts, it's obvious they put in a lot of work, along with heart and soul, to put that range together.

The match was a lot of fun as well.  Great stages, especially if you like movement, and lots of options for gun order and start position.  A couple of them made you think a bit as to how best to optimize the sequence based on your shooting style or abilities, but the options were there for everyone.  For example, as I Gunfighter, I always try to shoot gunfighter, even if there is a split pistol, and one of the stages had that (along with shotgun from three positions).  There was a place to lay down the pistols, or you could shoot Double Duelist, or you could run a few extra steps.  I saw it done each of those ways, but I chose to run, well mosey expeditiously is probably more like it. :P 

Weather held off with just a little drizzle off and on through out the day.  And the lunch/dinner afterwards was amazing.  Plenty of food, and it was awesome, and the pulled pork was amazing.

Got to shoot with Cheyenne Culpepper again after a long time and got to officially meet Shiloh Red and Polecat Joe, and watch Realtree work his magic on the range.  That guy has the knees of a champion.  I have never seen anybody who squats down on his spurs in preparation for every stage! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks to The OTJ for making me aware of this match and for all his hard work, and to Chickie Winsome, Polecat Joe, and the rest of the Outlaws for putting on such an awesome match.  God willing, and the creek don't rise, we will be back again next year.  Just like the Pony Express, neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail, will keep us away from the match.  (Ice, however, that might be a problem.....) :P

Now off to Fort White and the Darkness Falls/Dark Day on the Santa Fe double header.  See you all there!

Archived