SASS Wire Forum

Question for Wyoming/Colorado

Hayseed,20612

Ouray, Silverton, Durango via the Million Dollar Highway (US550) watch the weather though. Fort Collins is pretty cool as is Boulder/Nederland.  Cheyenne is ok but not much to it. Thermopylae, Cody, and Jackson Hole in WY. Also, that’s a huge amount of territory to cover though it doesn’t look it on a map. 

Don't forget Yellowstone in the winter if they have the trails open. Western Colorado has Colorado National Monument for some stunning views of rock formations and is a great place for photographs. Bonus is it is on the way to Durango et al. Lots of various hot springs along the way for a nice soak in the pools, Glenwood, Ouray, Orvis (clothing optional). Skiing is supposed to be good at several resorts right now but at $180+ a day is out of my league.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

If they snow ski they might want to try that... plenty of places in Colorado for wonderful downhill skiing. Otherwise Grand Junction has the Colorado National Monument which is outstanding and South of there Mesa Verde.

This time of year the 4 Mile recreation area around Buena Vista offers some wonderful easy backcountry exploring if they have the right vehicle. Nothing high elevation there mostly sand roads and washes with plenty of exploration possible by foot. Just bring a backpack with supplies and watch the weather.

I've also visited the Great Sand Dunes National Park in January and found it beyond fascinating.

15 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

In Cody also don’t miss the Museum of Dug Up Guns. Great exhibits and best of all its free!

Seamus

We enjoyed that very much - I would also highly recommend the green Trolley bus tour that leaves from the Irma hotel.

This bus takes you on a looping tour in town that gives you some reference on the who and where of the original town plus takes a scenic drive out of town past the rodeo grounds and out beyond the Buffalo Bill dam.

And of course Yellowstone is a must see.

Estes Park, Co. I use to go there one or twice a year. Tour the Coors Brewery if it is open.

My ex-wife and I spent one or two weeks a year out there for many years and still did not see everything there was to do out there.

2 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Don't forget Yellowstone in the winter if they have the trails open. Western Colorado has Colorado National Monument for some stunning views of rock formations and is a great place for photographs. Bonus is it is on the way to Durango et al. Lots of various hot springs along the way for a nice soak in the pools, Glenwood, Ouray, Orvis (clothing optional). Skiing is supposed to be good at several resorts right now but at $180+ a day is out of my league.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

If they are going in the depth of winter, I highly recommend taking a guided snowmobile trip into Yellowstone.  We've taken three guided snowmobile trips from Yellowstone's South Entrance up to Old Faithful and back.  Lunch is served while at Old Faithful.  The outfit picked us up at our Jackson hotel early a.m. and dropped us back at night.  No snowmobile experience required.  While two people can ride tandem (one drive the other rides) I recommend each get their own snowmobile.  My wife drove her own even though she had no experience and was thrilled.  The roads up and into the park are closed in the winter so about the only way in/out is by snowmobile or snowcat.  Don't even begin to think cold will be a problem - it won't.  All clothing provided by the outfitters, and the snowmobiles all have heated seats and handlebars.  

The Medicine Wheel!

Snowmobile excursions! Yes. Great idea! They're pretty much everywhere.

20 years ago I was in Ourey during the winter, January I think, and watched the International Ice Climbing competition.  THAT was insane. 

The Estes Park mention... sure! Maybe even a stay at the Stanley Hotel.

Also!!  If it is open, Wy Hwy 14a!!  

You can use it to get to the Medicine Wheel and it’s one of the most scenic roads I’ve ever driven!!

Depends if the newlyweds like crowds, same old touristy crap, popular sights, etc.

Colorado and Wyoming both have stuff to see and do. Depends if you want to do the same old crap or if one is adventurous. 

Archived