SASS Wire Forum

New John Wayne Tribute Rifle in American Rifleman

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I got my newest issue of American Rifleman today and on page 61 there's an add for a John Wayne tribute rifle.  It's a 73, not a 92 for some reason, but let that go.   While I have  never purchased one, I've always found these commemorative guns to be interesting and have always believed I'd "get one someday."  Maybe this'll be it.   It's got a 19" barrel and is a .45 Colt.  I could use a 73 in .45 Colt.  It's made by Uberti.

I just wish it was like back in the days when these things would be C&R from the get go.  I could save a couple of steps in the process!   Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Make one in 44 WCF maybe .

It's always curious to see what kind of features they put on these things.   Or even what things they decide to commemorate.

I still can't believe that 2011 came and went without a Ronald Reagan tribute 1911.

John Wayne actually carried a shortened '92 in 44WCF in most of his movies so it is more correct than a '73.  The earliest JW Commemorative that I can remember is a M94 in 32-40, something he never carried.  They were selling in Sears for something like $325.00 back in the day.

25 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Certainly a good looking rifle, but $2,500 for a Uberti?  Scroll work is nice,but it's still $2,500.

Well, that's the thing with these tributes.   They do cost money, which is why I've never pulled the trigger on one before.  It had to be the "right" gun for me, so to speak.   I did seriously consider the Donald Trump Thompson, but it was "too gold" for me.  (Yeah, I know, this from the guy with a gold plated Colt that she shoots on occasion.)  The whole thing was covered with it, and not just highlights, for example.

On the other hand, I did a quick search and found a real Winchester 92 JW tribute, but they want $5000 for it, and it's got a tang safety.   You gotta figure out what you are willing to acquire, I suppose.

Also found one of these 7'3s at a Cabela's for $1700...   Called the store.  Sold this AM.   Bummer.

Commemorative guns generally remind me of those “instantly collectible” plates, etc. from the Franklin Mint. Some of the engraving is ok, but I can have a nice custom job done without some actor’s name on it for the premium they charge for these guns. 

My 2 cents, which is probably not worth that much. ^_^

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Commemorative guns generally remind me of those “instantly collectible” plates, etc. from the Franklin Mint. Some of the engraving is ok, but I can have a nice custom job done without some actor’s name on it for the premium they charge for these guns. 

My 2 cents, which is probably not worth that much. ^_^

Some of the commemorative Colts, which are all Second Generation Guns, can usually be found for LESS than the cost of generic 2nd Gen gun and are usually NIB.  (An annoying few have gone way up in price, but not most of them.)  I have found these to make excellent shooters and fun guns to have.

22 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

John Wayne actually carried a shortened '92 in 44WCF in most of his movies so it is more correct than a '73.  The earliest JW Commemorative that I can remember is a M94 in 32-40, something he never carried.  They were selling in Sears for something like $325.00 back in the day.

Wish I had known about them “back in the day”!  I bought a used one over 20 years ago for $700, no box. I did buy the 92 model in .44-40 when they cam out and had it modified to shoot .44 spcl as well. 

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Some of the commemorative Colts, which are all Second Generation Guns, can usually be found for LESS than the cost of generic 2nd Gen gun and are usually NIB.  (An annoying few have gone way up in price, but not most of them.)  I have found these to make excellent shooters and fun guns to have.

Agreed, got a Colt-Winchester for $970 about 15 years ago. I have found that the Commemorative Colts and Winchester are more like art pieces, worth only what someone will pay for them. Except for the Boy Scout or Annie Oakley 9422 models that are price fairly high. 

26 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Agreed, got a Colt-Winchester for $970 about 15 years ago. I have found that the Commemorative Colts and Winchester are more like art pieces, worth only what someone will pay for them. Except for the Boy Scout or Annie Oakley 9422 models that are price fairly high. 

I remember when that came out.   I was teenager and really tried to get my Dad to purchase the Colt/Winchester set.   He didn't.   I'd still love to have this one.   Sadly, it is one of the few that has gone way up in price compared to other commemoratives.   That, and the SAA Centennial that is set up to exact milspec configuration ad it's .44-40 "civilian" counterpart.   The ones I'd like to have the most, are the ones that cost the most.  :)

Interesting thing about the Colt/Winchester Winchester.  I am pretty sure it's the first time Winchester chambered the M94 for .44-40, and it was the only one to do so before they ruined the gun with angle eject and various safeties.

21 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I've noticed with these tribute guns that many times they'll use a gun that the honoree has never been associated with. 

That's because there are people that will buy anything with John Wayne's name on it.

45 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I was at the Milan Illinois shoot in September .

There was someone there trying to sell a John Wayne Carbine  in 45 Colt.

He wanter $ 1000 for it . Said it was unfired . No takers . 

I bought mine for 1,132 plus tax. That’s a great deal for an invited one!

11 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Wish I had known about them “back in the day”!  I bought a used one over 20 years ago for $700, no box. I did buy the 92 model in .44-40 when they cam out and had it modified to shoot .44 spcl as well. 

My wife bought me an unfired '94 on my 40th birthday along with five boxes of JW stamped ammo.  

11 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

My wife bought me an unfired '94 on my 40th birthday along with five boxes of JW stamped ammo.  

Wow!  She is a keeper!  I have 8 boxes, back when they were $40-50 a box. Now they go for $100!  Glad you got it. .32-40 regular cartridges are hard to find and almost as expensive as the JW cartridges. 

17 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Wow!  She is a keeper!  I have 8 boxes, back when they were $40-50 a box. Now they go for $100!  Glad you got it. .32-40 regular cartridges are hard to find and almost as expensive as the JW cartridges. 

She got the JW ammo for $10/bx

25 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

She got the JW ammo for $10/bx

Again, Wow!  I am very envious, but seriously, look on Gunbroker and if there is any listing they usually start around $100. So she really got a deal!  Congrats!

Archived