SASS Wire Forum

Category: FRONTIERSMAN - Why is the Uberti 1873 percussion revolver "not allowed"

T-Square

I'm reading the new edition of the Handbook - and was wondering if anyone knows why the Uberti 1873 percussion revolver is not allowed in Frontiersman?

Not that I want a Uberti 1873 percussion revolver , I've got plenty of ROAs that need my love - but I was just curious.

I could also ask - What is your favorite BP pistol, and why ?

Hope to see all my Black Powder friends at Dark Days this year !!  Just 28 days away !!

Cheers !

the real T-square

DSC_4474.jpg

Because when the Territorial Governors voted to allow it as a "main match" revolver (used primarily in countries that restrict cartridge handguns), they also specified that it NOT be allowed for Frontiersman.

That was in 2006

That exception was added to the SHB in 2007.

Palewolf - was there anything specific to the Uberti? 

Is it more 'modern' mechanically than the common precision pistols used in the USA ?

The pictures online, look like a Ruger Vaquero with nipples.

I guess I'm just curious, ...........but if I ever go to Australia or Japan for a match ?!  LOL  (sarcasm alert)

3 minutes ago, T-Square said:

Palewolf - was there anything specific to the Uberti? 

Is it more 'modern' mechanically than the common precision pistols used in the USA ?

The pictures online, look like a Ruger Vaquero with nipples.

I guess I'm just curious, ...........but if I ever go to Australia or Japan for a match ?!  LOL  (sarcasm alert)

It is basically a percussion-fired SAA. The cylinder requires removal for charging.
The only country specifically mentioned was France.
The TG vote was greater than 2-1 to disallow it in Frontiersman category...I don't recall the actual discussion from 15 years ago.

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

What's the difference between this and a ROA. Just the ram?

It is basically a percussion-fired SAA. The cylinder requires removal for charging.

UBERTI percussion 1873 - wire.jpg

After using both Uberti and Pietta NMAs and ROAs I’ll take the ROA everyday.  That said I still love the the looks of the NMA to me it’s one of the best looking pistols ever.  I’m also looking forward to seeing everyone at Dark Days this year. 

66D5EB04-F08D-4CD1-B23A-CE1ED40DEA1D.thumb.jpeg.3ef5f150d7d1d9f626824d9a403a3937.jpeg

I would think it’s because there was never a gun like this in the old west. The ROA is pushing it but it still resembles a pre1900 cap and ball. That’s my guess. 

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I would think it’s because there was never a gun like this in the old west. The ROA is pushing it but it still resembles a pre1900 cap and ball. That’s my guess. 

They also never made a Colt SAA with an octagon barrel but that’s allowed. Some of the “we allow this but not this” doesn’t make sense. 

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

They also never made a Colt SAA with an octagon barrel but that’s allowed. Some of the “we allow this but not this” doesn’t make sense. 

Well for that matter they never made a Vaquero either but that's not the point! The point is it should at least "resemble" an old west firearm. This Uberti is not even close!

4 minutes ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

It would be nice to have a 5 page or less rule book...

Until we find a way to keep folks from looking for loopholes, it won't happen.

I have one of the 1875 Remington revolvers that was originally produced as a cap ‘n’ ball gun.  It was interesting to shoot, but I eventually converted it to cartridge.

I agree that they shouldn’t be allowed in Frontiersman.  There are plenty of revolvers available that fit the category and are accepted by the rules.

Archived