SASS Wire Forum

I hate this commercial

Rye Miles #13621

Radio commercial:

"My husband a gun, him and his friends would go shooting unfortunately the ammunition was not stored separately. In a million years we never thought Emily could..........There's a hole in our family that can never be filled."

Another voice comes on and says 63 Americans die EACH DAY from gun suicide. Help stop gun suicide!! Then they give the website!

Why didn't they train Emily about firearms? 63 suicides a day? Maybe including drugs and mentally ill people. This commercial  just drives me crazy it's so full of misinformation it's almost criminal!  

Did you ever hear this??? I've only heard it on the radio.

I've seen attempts made in households with a ton of guns using a different method.  Guns is not the issue.  

I have heard that often men are more likely to terminate more efficiently than women because they often use guns but women usually use other methods.  

There is a great divide figuring how to help someone realize how much they have to live for.  Their mind is closed to receiving anything other than what they perceive is reality.  

The commercial is actually correct on the number of gun suicides.  What i don't like is that the anti-gunners include the suicides in the number of gun "deaths" each year.  If you subtract out the suicides the number of murders or accidental shootings drops dramatically.  Lots of commercials I hate worse than this one.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sorry guys, I don't see anything funny about suicide. When a person gets to the point of hopelessness in life...I find no humor in it at all.

I don’t think anybody is saying that.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sorry guys, I don't see anything funny about suicide. When a person gets to the point of hopelessness in life...I find no humor in it at all.

I wasn’t being funny. 

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The commercial is actually correct on the number of gun suicides.  What i don't like is that the anti-gunners include the suicides in the number of gun "deaths" each year.  If you subtract out the suicides the number of murders or accidental shootings drops dramatically.  Lots of commercials I hate worse than this one.

Right on Larsen.  About two thirds of gun deaths in this country each year are suicides. Tragic yes, but our constitutional rights should not be compromised just to make it slightly more difficult for someone to kill themselves. 

Seamus

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don’t think anybody is saying that.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wasn’t being funny. 

Bob, you're right, course.

Pat, I guess I just took it the wrong way. This subject is particularly painful, especially on New Years Eve. I apologize to you, Pat and anyone else that took offense at my statement.

34 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Bob, you're right, course.

Pat, I guess I just took it the wrong way. This subject is particularly painful, especially on New Years Eve. I apologize to you, Pat and anyone else that took offense at my statement.

No need to apologize. Suicide hits close to home for a lot of us. It can be hard to be subjective when the pain can be at the edge of controllability. (It's not how I want to word it, but I don't have the right words. I pray you get my meaning.)

I have a hard time keeping my bearings when suicide is used as a tool for an agenda. I've lost people that weren't just numbers, tools or agendas. They were at their end of reason and I missed the signs, the pleas for help unanswered.

The problem is never with how they did it, but why.

I think some of you may be missing why this commercial bugs me so much. It implies that by locking up guns and ammunition you can stop gun suicides. Instead of teaching kids about gun safety they want you to just lock up the gun and ammo. That's their answer.

Suicide is a horrible thing when someone commits it because they feel there's no hope but this commercial doesn't address that! 

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

No, I can see how my comment could be seen as an attempt at humor. That was definitely not my intention. My comment was a snipe at government, in general, trying to appear “for the people”, but the reality is truly quite different…from my warped point of view.
I am sorry. I will be more careful in the future on how I comment on matters like this. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think some of you may be missing why this commercial bugs me so much. It implies that by locking up guns and ammunition you can stop gun suicides. Instead of teaching kids about gun safety they want you to just lock up the gun and ammo. That's their answer.

Suicide is a horrible thing when someone commits it because they feel there's no hope but this commercial doesn't address that! 

Blaming the tool for the act of suicide is easier for some people than considering the reason for it.  

For anti-Constitutionalists, it’s a variation of, ‘Never let a crisis — or in this case, a tragedy — go to waste.’

Archived