SASS Wire Forum

Sausage vs bacon

Highwall

Don't get me wrong, I love both but over the years I have changed my preference. Lots of bacon was the favorite when I was in my younger years but as time passed I started

to appreciate patty sausage and sausage links more only because they were easier to eat and yet still tasty.  My daughter brought us some uncured bacon from a local meat market and it was so good, much better than the grocery store stuff but of course more expensive. My favorite sausage patties are Tennessee Pride mild. Nowadays for breakfast at restaurants I usually order one egg over medium, one sausage patty or two links with buttered wheat toast.

Back in the day before a shooting tournament I would devour 2 eggs, corn beef hash, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy ! 

Life was good when you were a youngling! :)

Us know what us got with a slice of bacon. Sausage, not so much.

23 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Bacon....

The chocolate of meats!!!!!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Chocolate dipped bacon.  Sweet, savory, salty all in one treat…. 

38 minutes ago, Highwall said:

uncured bacon

There is no such thing.  It's all word games.  "Uncured bacon" uses nitrites extracted from celery rather than chemically nitrites from a chemical lab.  But it's "natural" so the bacon can be called uncured.

There's a long traditional  truck stop in Kansas called the Beto Junction. On their breakfast menu is the Beto Special. It consists 

of two medium fried eggs on top of hash browns followed by graded cheddar cheese and two sausage patties topped with a thick white sausage gravy.

Do I say more? 

Okay then, their huge soft cinnamon rolls with frosting are out of control!:P

sso most I reckin to bakin bacon I reckon

Grind up bacon and make sausage :) 

I like both.  I use pork sausage in my chili, along with ground or chunked up beef or venison.  And sausage gravy over a hot biscuit is my favorite breakfast treat.

I cook bacon in the oven.  Found out it doesn't shrivel up so bad that way.  

I've said it many times..... 'a feller needs to get use to eating Bacon because when there gets to be a shortage

of pigs, there ain't gonna be no more sausage'.

;)

BACON is my favorite.  But Sausage and Gravy is a nice treat for breakfast.   

..........Widder

Nothing like a good Italian sausage!!! I really don't care what parts of the pig are in there, it's just so darn good!!;)

Supposedly the best way to cook bacon:

Pre-heat oven to 400 F

Spread parchment paper on sheet baking pan (to make clean up easier)

Cook bacon for 18 minutes for regular cut

Cook bacon 24 minutes for thick cut

Adjust time if needed to cook the bacon to your liking

I tried it once and the bacon was very good.  

4 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Pre-heat oven to 400 F

Only difference for me is I cook at 425, instead of 400.  And I use aluminum foil under mine and save the bacon grease for use in cooking later.  Usually takes about 22 minutes for thick cut, which is all I buy.  Momma likes hers cooked crisper than I do, so I let a few slices go 24-26 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Pre-heat oven to 400 F

A few years ago I looked online to find how to cook bacon in the oven.  Some say to put it on baking sheet, put it in the oven, then turn on the oven to either 350°F, 375°F, 400°F, 425°F, or 450°F.  Others say to heat the oven to either 350°F, 375°F, 400°F, 425°F, or 450°F, then put the bacon in.  And the placement of the bacon - some say just pile it on the foil lined sheet,  others say to lay it on the sheet, not touching, yet others say that THE WAY is to carefully lay it out so that the fatty part of one overlaps the lean part of the last.  Or you place a cooling rack on the sheet pan first then lay the bacon out.

Microwave works too!! Paper towels under the bacon and on top. 3 -3 1/2 minutes depending on how many strips, usually four for me and how crisp you like it!

I love bacon and sausage equally. I must admit that I am getting tired of bacon on everything everywhere you go these days. It almost puts sausage a little higher in my book. And I am not just talking breakfast sausage. I love Italian sausage, brats, hot links, smoked sausages, etc…

Seriously, it just depends on my mood what I like better on any given day. 

Thanks @Rye Miles #13621 now I am craving an Italian sausage sandwich with grilled onions and peppers. Mmmmm-mmmmm-Mmmm :D

Don’t forget the Chorizo!!  I try to have Chorizo with my eggs at least once a week!! 

A nice shrimp omelette with andouille and buttermilk pancakes laced with cinnamon and some honey is a special treat!!!

And then there’s country ham….

4 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Grind up bacon and make sausage :) 

I like both.  I use pork sausage in my chili, along with ground or chunked up beef or venison.  And sausage gravy over a hot biscuit is my favorite breakfast treat.

I cook bacon in the oven.  Found out it doesn't shrivel up so bad that way.  

I often grind up a pig belly to make my Jimmy Dean copycat sausage. Patties or sausage gravy... sausage rules!

Bacon properly Cooked in a Cast Iron Skillet... Pan fried Potatoes (not that hash brown mush) done in real Butter, Sourdough Bread toasted one slice buttered the other with Black Current Jam,,, a glass of cold milk and Coffee, lot's of Black Coffee ....

Deer sausage Snack Sticks fer sitting and visiting ...

Jabez Cowboy

Remember the Bacon !

6 hours ago, Chantry said:

Pre-heat oven to 400 F

That's a long time to cook bacon. Frying is a lot quicker....

Archived