SASS Wire Forum

Something in the newest Handbook I don't understand.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I was looking over the new Shooter's Handbook.  I really liked the glossary of terms, but there was one I did not understand.

Trigger “Bouncing” – A double-action revolver firing technique in which one hand grips the revolver and the trigger finger of the free hand is “bounced” within the trigger guard in order to rapidly fire the revolver. Use of this technique is ILLEGAL in “pocket pistol” side matches.

I read this over a couple of times, and I just don't understand what is being described or how it works.  I am curious to understand what it being talked about.

Never heard of it, but from the description it sounds like Trigger Bouncing with a finger of the off-hand might be faster than pulling the trigger with the hand holding the gun, and also might be harder to control the gun.

Never seen it used with DA revolver but from the description have seen Jerry Milulek do it with semi auto.  Like he has to speed up more?    GW

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Using your off hand  finger as a bump fire device to limit forward travel of the triggerto reduce reset distance and time.

look on you tube.

That sounds logical, but the SA also has to be cocked.  So I don't see where this fits.  

26 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That sounds logical, but the SA also has to be cocked.  So I don't see where this fits.  

Are pocket gun side matches allowed to use DA revolvers? That was my understanding. 

The term references POCKET PISTOLS...DA revolvers are LEGAL (actually quite common) for POCKET PISTOL side matches.

REF: SHB p.29

I know a guy that does that. Very effective method. I never could make it work for me. 

46 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I know a guy that does that. Very effective method. I never could make it work for me. 

Might want to inform him that doing so will now get him DQ'd from a PP side match.

I know writing rule books is a challenge, and I don’t want to nit-pick, but seems to me this rule should have been placed in the pocket pistol section as well as in the “glossary of terms”

I love pocket pistols. Neat guns to collect and shoot. I have 13 of them! 

Hold the gun in your right hand, but dont put your right trigger finger into the trigger guard.  put your left trigger finger into the trigger guard, but dont use your left hand to support the gun at all.  press the trigger back with your left finger and the gun goes off, keep your left triggerfinger stiff against the trigger and using your right hand press forward with the gun.  The recoil will move the gun rearward enough to reset the trigger while pressure forward will come in contact with your left triggerfinger and gun goes off again.  You can rip through a full mag and it sounds like an fully automatic.  Same theory as a bumpstock.

Easiest done while shooting from the waist.  Like I said, not exactly shooting for accuracy, but it is fun.  At least it was fun before ammo cost a buck a bang! :D

I would imagine it takes a bit more work to cycle through a double action trigger pull.

BTW, be careful if you try this!

2 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Hold the gun in your right hand, but dont put your right trigger finger into the trigger guard.  put your left trigger finger into the trigger guard, but dont use your left hand to support the gun at all.  press the trigger back with your left finger and the gun goes off, keep your left triggerfinger stiff against the trigger and using your right hand press forward with the gun.  The recoil will move the gun rearward enough to reset the trigger while pressure forward will come in contact with your left triggerfinger and gun goes off again.  You can rip through a full mag and it sounds like an fully automatic.  Same theory as a bumpstock.

Easiest done while shooting from the waist.  Like I said, not exactly shooting for accuracy, but it is fun.  At least it was fun before ammo cost a buck a bang! :D

I would imagine it takes a bit more work to cycle through a double action trigger pull.

Thank you.  :)   I really had no clue as to what it was.

Seems to me like it wouldn't work all that well with a DA revolver anyway.

15 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

If you don't 'understand it' then you are not doing it...so no issue.

:wub:

I think that this question was asked by one of our cowboys and the answer you gave was uncalled for. If there is something that needs answered what the heck would it not be placed. I strongly believe he has good right to question  this.  Stop & think ahead a little pilgrims.

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I was looking over the new Shooter's Handbook.  I really liked the glossary of terms, but there was one I did not understand.

Trigger “Bouncing” – A double-action revolver firing technique in which one hand grips the revolver and the trigger finger of the free hand is “bounced” within the trigger guard in order to rapidly fire the revolver. Use of this technique is ILLEGAL in “pocket pistol” side matches.

I read this over a couple of times, and I just don't understand what is being described or how it works.  I am curious to understand what it being talked about.

Its a good question H.K. thanks for posting this.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I know writing rule books is a challenge, and I don’t want to nit-pick, but seems to me this rule should have been placed in the pocket pistol section as well as in the “glossary of terms”

I love pocket pistols. Neat guns to collect and shoot. I have 13 of them! 

A few minor (IMO) items were inadvertently omitted/overlooked in the process of editing the five rules docs + two ppt versions.
Any necessary follow-up clarifications will be posted on the Wires.

13 minutes ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

I think that this question was asked by one of our cowboys and the answer you gave was uncalled for. If there is something that needs answered what the heck would it not be placed. I strongly believe he has good right to question  this.  Stop & think ahead a little pilgrims.

Uriah knows me. I believe he got my response as it was given...to be a poke.

I am sure if he took offense to it, he would have brought it to my attention.

But thank you for your insight.

45 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Uriah knows me. I believe he got my response as it was given...to be a poke.

I am sure if he took offense to it, he would have brought it to my attention.

But thank you for your insight.

I took no offense at Sue's response.  She was just being humorous.  :)   By the same token, I do appreciate Jackrabbit defending the question.   It shows he was willing to stand up for a stranger.   An admirable trait.  :) 

I truly had no clue as to what the technique in question was.  I just wanted to learn things.

Take care all, and Happy New Year!

Send me a PM if you want to know about my novels!

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I took no offense at Sue's response.  She was just being humorous.  :)   By the same token, I do appreciate Jackrabbit defending the question.   It shows he was willing to stand up for a stranger.   An admirable trait.  :) 

I truly had no clue as to what the technique in question was.  I just wanted to learn things.

Take care all, and Happy New Year!

Send me a PM if you want to know about my novels!

I was picking on you for wanting to learn a technique that is a no-no:rolleyes:

Hug the bride!

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

The recoil will move the gun rearward enough to reset the trigger while pressure forward will come in contact with your left triggerfinger and gun goes off again. 

And it may be pointed well over a berm when it does go off again. A handgun has more muzzle flip compared to a rifle.

Must agree it does sound like fun but thinking back... I have not been to a range where I think it would be safe for me to try it. Completely agree with being careful.

The method that was brought to the ROC's attention regarding legality was holding a DA revolver in the right hand with a firm grip, then "bouncing" the index (trigger) finger of the left hand back & forth inside the trigger guard to fire very quickly.

When firing pocket pistol ammo (which has no power factor minimum) at a very close target(s) it appeared to be extremely fast and fairly accurate due to minimal recoil.

IIRC, the video presented to demo the method in question (taken during a PP side match) was immediately taken down after the shooter was informed of the ROC's ruling.

24 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

And it may be pointed well over a berm when it does go off again. A handgun has more muzzle flip compared to a rifle.

Completely agree, which is why I mentioned being careful.  This is something I do when we drive out to a spot I know in the desert, a desolate spot that is kind of a box canyon, very high hills on three sides and nobody and nothing to hit except dirt.

Next time I am out there, I may try a small caliber DA revolver just for fun to see if I can actually aim the 5 round burst. :D

Archived