SASS Wire Forum

Anyone make these for the Henry?

Reuben McCoy Rankin # 34239

I bet Gibby could...

You may even be able to beg Lonesome into making you one. (Don't tell him I suggested it!)

You would have to make sure you use your dowel on top of the rounds ;)

Asa

This one happens to be mine, made by Michigan Rattler.  This is the one submitted to SASS and approved.   I've talked to MR today and it needs to have a bit more clearance for the dowel rod pin.  

On 12/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, Asa Smith said:

I bet Gibby could...

You may even be able to beg Lonesome into making you one. (Don't tell him I suggested it!)

You would have to make sure you use your dowel on top of the rounds ;)

Asa

Agreed on the dowel rod, must have clearance for it to pass under the leather straps.

13 hours ago, Rev Willy Dunkum, SASS # 61027 said:

Agreed on the dowel rod, must have clearance for it to pass under the leather straps.

Can't you make the dowel rod long enough that it stops before reaching the leather wrap area?

Why do you need a pin in the dowel rod?

5 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Why do you need a pin in the dowel rod?

To keep it from falling into the receiver.  Same reason a follower has a shoulder on it.

• 1 month later...

This seemed like a good idea so I made me a couple. Made one fuzzy side out so it would match my buttstock cover, and the other with the "fancy" side out.  With my 4 5/8th dowel I can barely fit 10 44-40's in there. Been so long since I shot the Henry I forgot I even HAD a dowel in there.

HenryCover1.JPG

HenryCover3.JPG

It won't mark up MY barrel as it is a antiqued version of the rifle. I wondered about that myself and may come up with a different version later, as I have a couple of ideas that might work.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

It won't mark up MY barrel as it is a antiqued version of the rifle. I wondered about that myself and may come up with a different version later, as I have a couple of ideas that might work.

If it would stand up to the heat, a little moleskin might work.

2 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

What do ya do with the carbine model?

Largo

Wear a glove. :)

It would not be difficult for your leather guy to glue and stitch a thin piece of leather over the back snap piece to protect it from scratching the barrel.  Also, someone makes a small plastic disk that attaches to the back of the bottom snap piece to protect the gun.  You'll see these on many commercially produced pistol holsters that have a safety thumb strap.  

That was my thinking, sew another piece of leather to the backside. As for the carbine, I'd have to see one to make a pattern for it.

Iam going to do one of my favorite things Poke the Bear Henery never a stick or a cover for there rifles shoot it like it was made .I own two shoot black powder no stick no leather hand guard 

Archived