SASS Wire Forum

The saga of the toilet, or the insanity of "customer service".

Clay Mosby

About 3 months ago we decided it was time to replace the toilets. They were original to the house, built in '88, and our old knees, we figured, would appreciate a "chair height" seat.

So off we trundled to our local Lowes. After perusing the offerings, we decided on a model and began the umpteen page forms to have it installed. About a week later the plumber arrived, did the installation and all seemed fine, seemed being the operative word!

Our toilet is right next to the shower. A couple weeks later ?I noticed a small bit of water on the floor, but assumed it was from someone getting out of the shower and dripping all over the place instead of on the mat. Cleaned it up and didn't think about for a while. Still had to clean up the occasional small puddle but still assumed it was the shower.

After another few weeks of the occasional leak, I started to think maybe the leak was from the toilet! Dried everything off, then carefully checked the toilet, the feed line, nothing, nada, zip. Then I started to see a bit of discoloration of the baseboard. Hmm, this is no longer a minor annoyance.

Step 1. I called the plumber that did the installation and asked him to send someone to check that it had been installed correctly. Took almost a week to get on the schedule. Installer came out, re-installed the toilet with new wax ring, but before he was through wrapping up there was more water on the floor. Final determination was there was a crack or a defect in the toilet himself.

Step 2. Plumber contacted Lowes that day that they had sold a defective product and it needed to be replaced. He said he would contact me to schedule the replacement, and there would be no cost to me. Damn straight there better not be!!  One WEEK later I called the plumber. Oh, he said, I called Lowes that day, and followed up 2 days later. Haven't heard back from them yet. GRRRRR. and you were going to tell me this when???  Oh, and as an added bonus we had been sharing the other bathroom with our son this whole time.

Step 3. I called Lowes. Now understand, calling Lowes ranks right up there with a visit to the DMV. A few phone trees later I get to the correct department, but am told there is a 1.5 to 2.5 hour wait. I opt for the call back. 2 hours later they call, and after going through the whole saga twice, and being put on hold 3 times, I'm informed that I have the wrong department and she transfers me to the correct one. Thankfully she gave me the dept's number because right after they answered, the call dropped! AAARRRGGGgghhh.

Step 4. Finally get through. Repeat the saga, another 2 times, get put on hold twice. The person finally comes back and informs me that she called the store, but no answer, so she sent an email with a work order to get the toilet replaced and installed. She also informed me that she would call me back in 1-2 business days to give me an ETA for the replacement. 

Step 5. Two days later the installer calls, says he's at Lowes to pick up the toilet, am I home to have it installed that day? "Well damn", says I, "come on over!" Then he calls me back and says the store can't find the work order and doesn't want to give him the toilet! Gimme a break dammit!!! After another 30 minutes he calls back, says he has the toilet and will be here in a couple hours.  Woo-Hoo!!

Step 6. Shortly after he arrives and starts working I hear a "DAMMITT!" from the bathroom. Seems the box had been previously opened, and he thought it was missing a part! "Lord, give me strength!" A couple of phone calls and it is determined that there had been a redesign of the system, and the "missing" part was no longer needed. "Well, we'll find out when it's hooked up and the water is turned back on" he says.

Step 7. Speaking of water, the shutoff valve picks this time to fail internally, won't shut off. So before he can continue, which now includes replacing the shutoff valve, I have to turn of the water to the whole house!!

Step 8. Hip-Hip-Hooray! Hazzah!! Yippee!  The new shutoff and toilet are installed, and NOTHING LEAKS!!!! Only down side was we had to pay for the shutoff installment, and he sealed the base of the toilet and recommended we not use the toilet for 24 hours to let it cure.  

Step 9. It's been 36 hours, we've used it several times, and the floor is still DRY!

It should not have taken damn near 2.5 weeks from the time we figured out the problem until we were able to use our bathroom again, and I put the responsibility squarely on Lowes. We first contacted them on a Monday, and there was no justifiable excuse why we should not have had the replacement by the end of the week. I heard from others that unfortunately they have had very similar experiences with them. They didn't used to be this way. In the past we have had exemplary service when there was a warranty issue. Sad.

I've had days like that.  I replaced both toilets in our house last year and found that one of the toilet flanges was broken.  Fortunately, I'm on a basement so accessing below the bathroom was possible.  Boy, was that an adventure.  I finally got it done and leak free but I was definitely "tested".  

Unfortunately these things happen to all of us from time to time . And it seems like the bigger the company you’re dealing with the more complicated it is . This summer I got a new dishwasher. The first one didn’t work, I was just lucky that they had another one. It’s not just guns and ammo that are scarce. 

I got a toilet replaced two years ago. (The original from 1959 was leaking) I called the local plumber and he was here two days later and done in about 4-5  hours. He had a hard time with the wax ring on the bottom of the toilet and had to use a sawzall to remove it! I would never let Lowes or Home Depot or any of them do work here. I'll call the local dudes myself and even if I have to pay a couple bucks more it's so worth it!

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got a toilet replaced two years ago. (The original from 1959 was leaking) I called the local plumber and he was here two days later and done in about 4-5  hours. He had a hard time with the wax ring on the bottom of the toilet and had to use a sawzall to remove it! I would never let Lowes or Home Depot or any of them do work here. I'll call the local dudes myself and even if I have to pay a couple bucks more it's so worth it!

Our Lowes goes through a "handyman" company similar to like Angies list, and contract to local plumbers for the installation. I have no complaints about the installers, they were professional and competent. If it had been local Lowes employees to do it? No friggin' way!

That's quite an odyssey for a toilet. I certainly understand your disappointment (putting it lightly) with Lowes.

I gave up on Lowes a while back and will not set foot in their door. Although, I'm not a fan of Home Depot, that's where I'll go if I have to choose between the two.

On Christmas day, our water heater decided to flood out garage. Went out at 9:30 am to put gifts in the truck, no problems. Went out at 10:30 to leave, water everywhere. The water heater was only 1.5 years old. I had bought it at HD and installed it myself fairly easily. The Rheem water heater had a 1 year unlimited warrantee/5 year limited warrantee. I knew that I wasn't going to get anywhere on Christmas day so I called on Sunday.

Calling the Rheem warrantee line on Sunday, I was put on hold for a wait time of "58 minutes" which somehow kept increasing. After 1.75 hours, they finally answered. The man was polite and said to take the heater back to HD for a credit. I asked if it was a one for one swap out and he told me that depended on HD's policy. Took the heater back to HD and it was indeed a swap out. HD went as far as getting a new one and putting it in my truck. Took it home and had it installed in 15 minutes. It took longer to drain it than it did to remove and re-install it.

Gotta say, I was happy with HD and to a lesser extent, Rheem.

It has been obvious, to me at least, that customer service everywhere has gone to hell. IF you find someone to help you, they act like they are doing you a favor by helping you. This lack of customer service seems to be universal, is getting worse and management doesn't seem to care or act on complaints. I guess management doesn't want to offend their employees lest they might not show up for work. Pride in your work/job seems to have been one of the many things lost in all of this pandemic crap.

Every plumbing adventure requires two, or more, trips to the hardware store.
We installed the tall Kohler commodes, and are entirely satisfied with them.

Years ago, I bought the Kohler Rialto Gen 1 commodes and stored in the garage until renovation day,
The Gen 1 are notorious for a more narrow flush path, making them more prone to clogs after a big holiday dinner...
The newer Gen 2 Rialto have larger passageways, and do not suffer this problem.

Now, I always research commodes for the side of the passageways.

I've been enjoying this sort of issue trying to get new glasses. It's been almost 3 months now and 3 different pairs. Each time I'm told my brain needs to get used to them!! Apparently I am brain dead as I can't get used to them! Everything looks like it is on a globe. My workbench looks like I have a pillow under the top.:angry:

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Every plumbing adventure requires two, or more, trips to the hardware store.
We installed the tall Kohler commodes, and are entirely satisfied with them.

That's what I installed.  Did you know that when you install the taller Kohler toilets, your water lines will be 2" short?

How they make things, how they install things, who installs things and what they get paid is not the same anymore, has not been for some time.

I lived in a house with 2 bathrooms built in 1936 for 26 years and it had an original Kohler toilet that worked great. No stains or clogs, just replaced the tank parts twice.  Kohler still made the parts!  The other toilet was replaced with modern, low flush and needed replacement twice, once in 1989 when we moved in and 2005 when the toilet got so badly stained and leaked at the tank/bowl connection.  Working in the home improvement industry for 30+ years and doing many old house repairs/improvements I have come to realize that products are not made to the same high standard as in the past unless you are willing to pay the price. I never buy cheap, not worth it.  Look at the firearms you use.  Cheap does not last.  Labor and the work ethic has eroded substantially in the past few decades. If I do not do the work myself I always hire an installer direct, NEVER through a third party, too many hands in the pot.  Their reputation is on the line and will work with you.  Stay local, stay small, stay with quality! 

Just my 2 cents.  Caladisi Kid  :)

We did find this tidbit this winter.

After replacing the low toilet, wich had some issues after 30 years, we decided to put in a tall boy.

Found a 16.5" guy...

Anyhow, it was installed easily with no issues, besides father and son butting heads!:rolleyes:

The issue came when we went to winterize the cabin. (BTW, that was where we replaced...I forgot that information)

The tall boy that was purchased 5 or so years ago is built much like the old toilets. Remove the 'post' and you can sponge extra water out of the tank. You want it dry so it won't crack in the cold weather.

This new one, being a water saver has internal crap in the tank that isn't removable.

We found paper towels do the trick on the end of a coat hanger.

Anyway...we should not have to replace another in our lifetime...and hope by next year, we won't need to winterize...as we will be there 90% of the time.

You have to be careful buying from Lowes.  When I was building my home ten years ago, I purchased two in-line water valves at the local Lowes store.  They were approved for gas, as well as water installation.  After I installed them on my water manifold, everything seemed OK.  The following morning, I turned the water on to test, after installing a service porch sink across the room from the manifold.  I'd been there working for ten minutes when I realized my pant leg was wet.  I followed a tiny spray back to the two valves installed the day before.  They both had bronze casting flaws that leaked substantial water.  By then, I was then used to getting defective equipment from Lowes, after wiring my house and discovering that more than 30% of the wall switches nd receptacles were inoperable.  Because these two valves were approved for gas, I became particularly concerned.  I removed them, marked the inside of both valves with a black permanent marker and returned them.  Rather than the return location, I went to the store's contractor service counter, hoping to get across to someone the major hazard that the defective valve castings could cause in a gas application. 

The following day. I was in the store for something else. and I went over to check for casting flaws in  the rest of the in-line valves .   I found my two marked defective valves right back out on the shelf for somebody else to buy. 

I filed a complaint against Lowes with the Ca Dept of Consumer Affairs, who investigated and cited the store in violation.  

I've since stopped patronizing Lowes.  After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars at that local store, they still don't know me from Adam and a big % of the supplies I bought there have been defective.  For example, two shower drains with weep holes going the wrong direction leaking water under the house, thus failing inspection and necessitating tear out and reworking of both tiled showers.  I've also bought many  plastic pipe fittings that don't fit the pipe, hand tools that break the first time used, and a myriad of other junk.  

So be careful and check the quality of what you buy.  

Until this issue we haven't had any major issues with our local Lowes. True, there have been minor issues such as a cabinet that was broken but it was quickly replaced. My biggest gripe till now was earlier this year when they completely rearranged the store, I still have to ask where things are now!!

21 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've been enjoying this sort of issue trying to get new glasses. It's been almost 3 months now and 3 different pairs. Each time I'm told my brain needs to get used to them!! Apparently I am brain dead as I can't get used to them! Everything looks like it is on a globe. My workbench looks like I have a pillow under the top.:angry:

I think you may need a good stiff drink,  something strong whiskey? Then everything will look good.

Anyone else hate the fact that the new toilets use less water? Yes I need to flush twice sometimes!

Sorry that was TMI wasn't it??:lol:

34 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Anyone else hate the fact that the new toilets use less water? Yes I need to flush twice sometimes!

Sorry that was TMI wasn't it??:lol:

We were preparing to winterize in November...and the day before, the shower backed up.

I posted the saga on an earlier post...so won't do it again.

But...

The clog was tp...and our guy said that it is not uncommon for 1) homes that folks are not there for weeks/months at a time, the water dries up before moving the tp down the pipe.

AND 

2) the low flow doesn't send the water long enough to give tp a good push.

My question?:

The places that require low flow EVERYTHING...

Do they realize this causes extra flushes, rinse time in shower, in dish sink...and how many times have you had to use the rinse cycle on clothes you just washed?

Just not thought through, these 'rules'.

The cutoff valves under toilet and kitchen sink are usually a cheap version, if original to house. Numerous turning on and off will cause them to fail quickly, I prefer shutting off main valve.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The places that require low flow EVERYTHING...

Do they realize this causes extra flushes, rinse time in shower, in dish sink...and how many times have you had to use the rinse cycle on clothes you just washed?

They neither realize it, nor do they care.   The agency lawyers are usually the ones in control, and they care only about establishing broader and stronger agency authority.  The focus is to find new things to regulate and creative ways to do it; not to make sense or actually save water.     

After working within regulatory  offices of State government for decades, I am convinced that the purpose is to establish control over the public.  

Archived