SASS Wire Forum

Young reporters

Utah Bob #35998

They just don’t seem to know much.

There Was a mass shoot in in Denver. 5 people killed, 3 wounded. The gunman was killed by police. 
A young reporter, I forget what network, was talking about the incident and mentioned the killer, Lyndon McLeod…….

….only she pronounced it Mc lee odd. 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They just don’t seem to know much.

There Was a mass shoot in in Denver. 5 people killed, 3 wounded. The gunman was killed by police. 
A young reporter, I forget what network, was talking about the incident and mentioned the killer, Lyndon McLeod…….

….only she pronounced it Mc lee odd. 

A familiarity with Scots names was left out of their diversity training 

26 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

A familiarity with Scots names was left out of their diversity training 

I guess she never saw Highlander. Or maybe she did and though it was Connor McLoud. :rolleyes:

I am of Scotch, Irish, English and Dutch lineage. With that in mind, and upon reflection of the reporter's inability to properly pronounce the name, I don't know whether to be humored, angry, smug, or indifferent.

2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I am of Scotch, Irish, English and Dutch lineage. With that in mind, and upon reflection of the reporter's inability to properly pronounce the name, I don't know whether to be humored, angry, smug, or indifferent.

Scottish…

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Scottish…

Maybe.....Historically it has changed. I don't think it matters, but I don't get caught up in the gendered pronoun debate either.

The Grammarphobia Blog: Scot, Scotch, or Scottish?

2 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I wonder if the person in question would be successful with my surname; .... Ruprecht ......   :huh:

(hint, they didn't get it right in "Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels" neither ........ )   :mellow:

I tried three times. I quit.

:D

1 minute ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I tried three times. I quit.

....... Roop-Rite ...... 

It's our Australian bastardisation of a fine olde German name, but we've been here for 5 generations ..... locals still often have difficulty .....   :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... Roop-Rite ...... 

It's our Australian bastardisation of a fine olde German name, but we've been here for 5 generations ..... locals still often have difficulty .....   :ph34r:

Well, I was bastardizing it even further. Must be the Scotch in me.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:18 PM, watab kid said:

is it any wonder most dont trust or believe what they are told by reporters anymore ? or that so often we find out they told us wrong - with no retractions or corrections ?

All that from not knowing how to pronounce McLeod.....

Next thing you know, she'll be calling Beauchamp Bo-champ! Of with her head....

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I wonder if the person in question would be successful with my surname; .... Ruprecht ......   :huh:

(hint, they didn't get it right in "Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels" neither ........ )   :mellow:

Knecht...?  :)  :rolleyes:  ^_^

11 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... opposite of Dae ..........   ;)

Actually, Knecht is St Nicholas' sidekick... :rolleyes:  

Sometimes thought to be Krampus.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Next thing you know, she'll be calling Beauchamp Bo-champ! Of with her head....

I went to school with a kid named Beechum. Least wise that's how I thought it was spelled. I was wrong. Beauchamp.

I also went to school with a boy named Hosea. José. 10 years or so later I start with a new eye doctor. Doctor Hosea. Hozee.

You just never know.

Names? My stepfather was Robert Piquett. He said growing up in the Baltimore area it was always pronounced Pickett, when he joined the Navy, it became Pi Qwet. Emphasis on the Quet. That stuck for his time in the Navy.

When I was in the Navy a friend from boot camp was from Northern Maine he was from French stock and his name was Levesque. That got mangled many times when roll was called. He would let them say Le-Ves-Que a few times before he would say that is La-Vek. Then roll call would resume.

Archived