SASS Wire Forum

SxS Chamber Repair

Tom Bullweed

I bought a Stoeger 20 ga SxS from a cowboy who had been a bit heavy on the chamber mouth grind.  One barrel, from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock has no chamber lip left.  This allows the fired hull to push up and go under the extractor.

Any ideas?  short of removing more material, silver soldering and grinding back to shape?

Briley might be able to fix it.  BUT the Stoeger is a $400.00 gun and the repair could easily cost more than a new gun.  OP post a couple of photos so everyone can see what you have and stop guessing about possible solutions.

It sure sounds like the prior owner was more than "a bit" heavy on the cylinder honing (without removing or otherwise protecting the extractors), and they also sound more than a bit short on disclosures. 

A photo would surely help to understand exactly what you're looking at.  I'm a bit unclear on what you mean by fired hulls able to "push up and go under the extractor".  Do you mean to say "push too far into the chamber, leaving the extractor outside the shell head"?  

It sounds like the cylinder internal diameter has been enlarged to where there is no longer a lip to accept the shell head.  If that is the case,  then it would require more than just building up the rear end and regrinding a new lip.  The entire cylinder length would need to be reworked to avoid leaving a cylinder with an internal step or bulge for cases to expand into upon firing,  making it difficult or impossible to efficiently  shuck them.  

If it were me, I would look into new barrel and extractor  availability and cost before trying to add or remove any material.   

11 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Did the seller disclose the problem to you? Did you have a chance to check it before accepting it?

Yep.  Reflected fairly in the price.

After playing with it today, high brass shells seem to be less flexible and less problematic.  That will be my short-term 'fix'.   I have been wanting a longer-barreled 20 gauge, so finding a set of 24-28" barrels may be the right long-term effort.

Thanks cowboys.

Sleeves can be fitted to the chambers fairly easily, then chambers recut.  Extractors might have to be welded up if they were ground down, too.

Had work like that done to a Model 12 pump with an expanded chamber from firing over-pressure loads. 

All that is a lot of work for a gun not worth very much when it works perfectly, IMHO.

good luck, GJ

8 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Yep.  Reflected fairly in the price.

After playing with it today, high brass shells seem to be less flexible and less problematic.  That will be my short-term 'fix'.   I have been wanting a longer-barreled 20 gauge, so finding a set of 24-28" barrels may be the right long-term effort.

Thanks cowboys.

How about posting some pictures of this Bubbafication?

OLG 

The left chamber mouth looks like the right but measures about .015" more grinding.

Second photos shows that the left snapcap is not as supported as the right.

My guess is that it is a combination.

20211230_192815.jpg

20211230_192921.jpg

The extractor being recessed is easy to fix with a new extractor, and it's surely worth a try.  However; properly correcting the oversize (and probably out-of-round) chambers is a much more difficult and expensive fix.   If not corrected, It is likely that way-over-expanded hulls will catch and drag against the new extractor lips.  You'd have to change extractors, then test it to see if more is needed.  The gun gets more pricey, the further you have to go in repair.   

Archived