SASS Wire Forum

Wow.  With the exception of the $1,000 "Expert" models, it looks like the CMP is completely sold out of functional Garands.  :(

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

Glad I had the foresight to get mine back in '87.  :)

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pictures, we need pictures, Man!

Okay.  :)

1687502854_RodM1Grin.thumb.jpg.344810a08aa5488f226d7786d8b5eef0.jpg

I’m hoping they just need time to catch up . They got hammered just as bad as the rest of the gun industry. The north and south stores are still shut down to help with the mail order back log and they haven’t even put out a re opening date yet . 

March 11, 2019 - the day it arrived.  Service grade Springfield, May '45, 1+/1+. Kind of cute little things - I had heard they were big, heavy monstrosities.

100_2444.JPG.f59de15daf65ab94cacb18ceb000060e.JPG

9 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

March 11, 2019 - the day it arrived.  Service grade Springfield, May '45, 1+/1+. Kind of cute little things - I had heard they were big, heavy monstrosities.

Wot a cute li'l thing ~ looks like a 3/4 scale model!  ^_^

There are still thousands of rifles available overseas. But the chance of this administration allowing them to be repatriated are  

slim. Not sure how many CMP has but I’m told they still have a bunch. Just too few workers.

One of the issues is "flippers."  The CMP limits purchasers to eight per year.  Many of the those bought are "flipped" - at any time there are a bunch for sale on Gunbroker for vastly inflated prices - several pages worth right now.  This has severely impacted availability for many folk who just want a shootable rifle.  :(

I understand that there is discussion at the CMP about limiting this practice.  I'd like to see this happen; the organization was created "To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship; to promote practice and safety in the use of firearms; and to conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors."  It was NOT created to be a source for profiteering resellers. :angry: 

As Inrecall, back when they were the DCM there was a yearly limit. 

I’m pretty sure when it was the DCM you were one and done . I know allot of people would like to see the flipping eliminated  “I’m one” but I’m also not sure how much the CMP is going to want to . Allot of their funding comes from sales. I’ve seen the argument made the organization would be hurting itself buy limiting sales . But I guess only the people running the organization really know. If you go to the CMP forums it’s a hotly discussed topic. 
Maybe pricing is the answer, I know right now it’s one of the good deals out there . From what I’ve seen the ones on gunbroker sell  . If you get one you don’t like you can actually make money on it rather than taking a loss like many other guns . 
I have one of each mfg now , hopefully I’ll be able to stop there. It’s a great piece of history and it’s kinda neat to have the fedex driver bring it right to the house. I got 2 at the north store, it’s neat experience going to camp Perry and seeing all those Garands in one place, it truly does make you feel like a kid in the candy store. My understanding is the south story is larger and usually better stocked , but I haven’t made it there yet.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’m pretty sure when it was the DCM you were one and done .

That's also what my memory says. AND you weren't allowed to sell it. That was part of the paperwork you signed. It wasn't to build your collection. It damn sure wasn't to flip and make money on. It was to have a military grade rifle, to learn how to use it, so if we went to war again those stupid civilians would have some idea of what they were doing.

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Okay.  :)

1687502854_RodM1Grin.thumb.jpg.344810a08aa5488f226d7786d8b5eef0.jpg

CAPTION:   GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My photo above looks weird…

57A2B197-C62E-4337-94A1-BF98DEEF8CA1.thumb.jpeg.af563986da81330097e1d7d00415368d.jpeg

AE6835B9-2EA1-4A5F-BDE1-18090A5C6083.thumb.jpeg.bf038e950253c1df4944b6e085b6ca3e.jpeg

Looks like tha offspring of a Mosin and a Garand. :D

I do miss my M1.  Ended up selling it and another rifle in order to pay the rent during the first year we were married.  Times were hard then and a roof over our heads was more important than than these two rifles at the time.

One of these days I will get another one, it was a lot of fun to shoot.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Looks like tha offspring of a Mosin and a Garand. :D

Actually this is a laminate stock. When I bought my Garand the original stock looked horrid. I had this gun restocked, bedded, accurized, converted to .308 and it has a National Match front sight. I did all this thinking the gun was built in 1952 and became a Korean “lend/lease” gun. It turns out the receiver was made in 1943. I used to be very bummed that I did this to a gun that probably saw action in WW2. I got over it. This rifle is a wonderful shooter and I will never let it go. 

31 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Actually this is a laminate stock. When I bought my Garand the original stock looked horrid. I had this gun restocked, bedded, accurized, converted to .308 and it has a National Match front sight. I did all this thinking the gun was built in 1952 and became a Korean “lend/lease” gun. It turns out the receiver was made in 1943. I used to be very bummed that I did this to a gun that probably saw action in WW2. I got over it. This rifle is a wonderful shooter and I will never let it go. 

Yeah I know it’s a laminate. There are lots of factory built Mosin laminate stocks. 

Don’t worry about not having a combat Veteran rifle. A 1940s date doesn’t guarantee that. Hundreds of thousands of Garands never left the states. Mine is an HRS built in 56. Never fired a shot in anger most likely. But it’s a sweet shooter.

On 12/29/2021 at 3:25 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah I know it’s a laminate. There are lots of factory built Mosin laminate stocks. 

Don’t worry about not having a combat Veteran rifle. A 1940s date doesn’t guarantee that. Hundreds of thousands of Garands never left the states. Mine is an HRS built in 56. Never fired a shot in anger most likely. But it’s a sweet shooter.

Thanks UB. Once I discovered it was made in 1943 I kind of forgot to research it further to save my own nerves, if you know what I mean. 

When I got it there was a date of 1952 on the barrel. Probably from a refurb. So I just assumed that was when it was made. 

This is mine, which was re-arsenaled at the Augusta armory, hence the "A" followed by inspector's cartouches. The parts are WWII vintage, but the barrel was made in August of '53 - my birth month and year. I refinished the stock since a previous owner had done a really bad job.

X1lbV0k.jpg

yoMcdwV.jpg

On 12/29/2021 at 6:21 AM, Buckshot Bob said:

I’m pretty sure when it was the DCM you were one and done . 

That's my recollection from when I bought my M1 back in the Dark Ages.  Back then I wasn't too interested in semiauto rifles because they couldn't be used for deer hunting in PA, but it was too good a deal to pass up.  I bought it, it shoots great and I still have it.   All of you would probably gag if you saw what the price was back then.

Back when I was thinking about a DCM M1, they were a buck and a quarter, while the same gun on the open market was between 700 and a grand. And there was no choice. You couldn't ask for a Springfield or a H&R or an International. There was no field grade or service grade or rack grade. You send them your paperwork and your $125 and they took a rifle out of the box and sent it to you. You might get a pristine NIB or a beater that looks like it was drug out of the jungle on Guadalcanal. What you got was what you got.

Archived