SASS Wire Forum

What Springs to Use for Ruger Wrangler?

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

A pair of Ruger Wranglers "followed me home" recently.  I would like to install Wolff spring kits in them.  I'm thinking that the 17 lb hammer spring and 30 oz trigger spring kit for a Single Six should fit.  I've checked the Wolff and MidwayUSA websites and neither mention what spring kit is proper for the Wrangler.

Have any of you installed spring kits in these pistols?  I would be interested in reading what worked for you.

I did watch the YouTube video on tuning a Ruger Wrangler and have noted his recommendations.

I used the wolff 15# main spring and 30 oz. trigger spring. I believe the set was made for the Vaquero and single six. If no-one chimes in with a positive answer, PM me and I will try to find my receipt. It mad a noticeable difference.

A buddy asked that I help him install Shotgun Boogies spring kit into his Wranglers. They are seem really nice, once the kit is installed. You do need to make tool to remove the firing pin retainer, the firing pin spring needs to be replaced in order for the kit to work. I used a screw drive blade and modified it with a Dremel to fit. No dog in this fight, just answering the question from my perspective. 

After handling his Wranglers, I'm considering a set for myself.

Ruger Wrangler Spring Kit – SBGW (sbgwllc.myshopify.com)

Tully

I got like strikes with 15 and 17# ones.  The 19’s fire the 22’s reliably, even the cheap bulk box crap….  
make sure to polish the spur (post) the spring rides on.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 7:59 PM, Palmetto Traveller said:

Wolff will tell you that even the 17 lb are too light but if you do a bit of polishing to the internals they'll work very well.

what do you polish?

So far so good for me with the Wolfe 15#, haven't shot much though and used old Federal's and some new CCI,both standard velocity. The spring kit I purchased is for an OMV

19 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

what do you polish?

I don't know if hammer strut is the right terminiology, but that long piece of metal the hammer spring rides on.  If you compare one of those from a Wrangler to one from a Vaquero, the Wranglers look very rough, with ridges like railroad tracks.   I polished those up a bit. 

My Buckaroo grandson has Wranglers he sometimes shoots.

#15 lbs main spring work consistently in both guns, #14 lbs are not consistent in one of the guns.

I polished them up good.

Dropped one leg of the hammer spring and bent the gate spring making the gate easier to open.  

The strut, transfer bar and any other sharp or jagged edges where there's metal to metal contact. (not the sear). One of the reasons these are so affordable is the final fit and finish is a little lacking.

Archived