SASS Wire Forum

What Online News Do You Go To?

Cypress Sun

I look at various online news sources but all of them seem to have an agenda, either right or left. Just getting tired of clicking on a supposed news story and the story is vaguely about the title. I won't even go to known leftist sites and have been going to Fox News but the propaganda/deviation from title story is leaving much (IMO) to be desired.

What online news do you all prefer? I'm just looking for a somewhat unbiased but accurate online news site that is up on current events across the US and World.

In my experience, there ain’t one!!

BBC and Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera's non news articles (opinion, columnist, editor) tend to be anti Israel & anti US, but their straight news articles tend to be fairly objective and they don't use the "loaded" words so common in US news.  "Loaded" words are words like tragic, heart breaking, shocking or any other word designed to invoke an emotional response.

The vast majority of American "news" are stories designed to reinforce what the viewer already believes and the average American "reporter" is more interested in website hits, twitter followers and anything else that will generate more revenue so the "reporter" can ask for a bigger salary.

And I have come across Fox news reports that omitted relevant facts that would have changed the tone of the entire article.

I occasionally read the Epoch Times. It is conservative and anti-communist, especially anti-Chinese Communist. I subscribe to their  weekly paper and  I get emails  with news feeds  daily.

I no longer peruse the internet for propaganda.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

BBC and Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera's non news articles (opinion, columnist, editor) tend to be anti Israel & anti US, but their straight news articles tend to be fairly objective and they don't use the "loaded" words so common in US news.  "Loaded" words are words like tragic, heart breaking, shocking or any other word designed to invoke an emotional response.

The vast majority of American "news" are stories designed to reinforce what the viewer already believes and the average American "reporter" is more interested in website hits, twitter followers and anything else that will generate more revenue so the "reporter" can ask for a bigger salary.

And I have come across Fox news reports that omitted relevant facts that would have changed the tone of the entire article.

These two, plus the New York Times, are my go-to sites. 

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

BBC and Al Jazeera

Good on ya, Chantry!

One of the requirements of the Scouts "Citizenship in the Nation" merit badge is to watch/read national news for a period of five consecutive days and discuss covered issues.  As a counselor for the Citizenship badges I always encourage the Scouts to watch/read several sources concurrently, and specifically recommend these two in addition to domestic news networks.  Parents are often shocked at my suggestion, but are usually surprised at the content.  

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I occasionally read the Epoch Times. It is conservative and anti-communist, especially anti-Chinese Communist. I subscribe to their  weekly paper and  I get emails  with news feeds  daily.

I no longer peruse the internet for propaganda.

Interestingly enough, I've received a few issues of the Epoch Times in the mail. I didn't order the Times but someone must have sent them to me as complimentary issues. I found the articles to be well written, interesting and definitely anti-Chinese Communist. I did a little checking and it's (mainly) run by Chinese dissidents. The subscriptions are a little rich for my blood but I did enjoy reading it.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll take a look at BBC, NYT and Al Jazeera. I get enough anti-American propaganda, which I don't appreciate, through everyday outlets...so I don't know about Al Jazeera but I'll give it a look. I'll also look at the ones that Sgt. CJ suggested.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

When I am after the serious news I can trust, I go here:

Weekly World News

My favorite headline picture from WWN was one I spied while in line at the supermarket some years back. It showed a very glum looking baby dressed in old fashioned clothing floating in a life ring with Titanic written on it. Still sorry I didn’t buy that issue just to save that picture. 

Seamus

Just now, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The New York Times promotes and supports things like the racist 1619 Project and fired an editor who dared to publish an editorial by a US senator. Apparently they prefer censorship to printing opposing points of view. The NYT is a ghost of what it once was. 

Ya’know?  I was thinking the same thing when I read Charlie Harley’s post, but figured maybe I was missing something!  

I just pulled up a random selection of articles from the NYT and found that I wasn’t too far off track.  Apparently, they no longer hire journalists.  

What I read was heavily laced with opinion and most of the writers were “influencers” rather than journalists, pandering to the left wing and particularly to those of the more “progressive” or “woke” persuasion.

I neither looked at nor listen to any news for a week. It was wonderful. 

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I neither looked at nor listen to any news for a week. It was wonderful. 

I’ve kinda’ done the same lately.  

YOU’RE RIGHT!!

15 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I use The Saloon for my online news.  It is as accurate and unbiased as any other source.

Now by golly here's a suggestion I can agree with!

I used to do quite a bit of shortwave radio listening (a ham radio operator told me an old set of bed springs made a fine shortwave antenna ... I tossed a line over an oak branch, hoisted an old set of discarded bed springs, hooked up to it and by golly it worked!) -- unfortunately, Internet news is far cheaper than pumping electricity into transmitters, so most of your shortwave sources are gone.

So are the bedsprings, I didn't want to walk under them and inherit a sudden, unplanned headache!

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I used to do quite a bit of shortwave radio listening (a ham radio operator told me an old set of bed springs made a fine shortwave antenna ... I tossed a line over an oak branch, hoisted an old set of discarded bed springs, hooked up to it and by golly it worked!) -- unfortunately, Internet news is far cheaper than pumping electricity into transmitters, so most of your shortwave sources are gone.

So are the bedsprings, I didn't want to walk under them and inherit a sudden, unplanned headache!

There were stories of throwing a slinky over a branch in Vietnam.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:39 AM, sassnetguy50 said:

There were stories of throwing a slinky over a branch in Vietnam.

A lot of the portable ham radio operators will put antennas in trees, using a variety of methods and shooters.

As for the original question:

BBC

NPR

Fox

AP

Stars and Stripes

Archived