SASS Wire Forum

Advice: Wet Tumbling - Pros & Cons

Buckshot Bear

I shoot Black powder so I went from rinsing and drying and then dry tumbling for 12 plus hours in lizard litter to obtain clean yet ugly brass to 90 minutes of wet tumbling with pins, Lemi Shine and dawn then 15 minutes of rinsing and pin separating to get shiny brass inside and out.    I got the RCBS because it was on sale with the pins included.  I compare it to a single stage vs a progressive press.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started using the rotary method about 30 years ago using rock tumblers (Tommy Tumbler)

Pros:

Really clean & shiny brass inside and out

No dust

Cons:

Cost if you already have vibrator system

Time -

-  You cannot do a normal progressive reload - deprime as a separate step

- (Very Minor) You have to wait for it to dry

Since I can do the vibrator and have it outside carefully, the dust hasn't been an issue.

My brass is really shiny on the outside and the bullets have not complained about the colored insides, so. . .

The time for the additional steps got in the way for me, so I've used the vibrator for nearly all my reloading.

So it really depends on what your time is worth.

I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler with no pins.  I have been using the FA brass cleaning packets but will use dawn and Lemi Shine when I run out.

I run the tumbler for about two hours with ~300 pieces of brass and one cleaning packet.

The FA tumbler includes two strainer inserts but I only use one.  After the tumbler runs for about two hours, replace the clear insert on one end with the strainer.  Dump water and refill three or four times in my kitchen sink to rinse the brass.  Then I place the wet brass in an older Nesco food dehydrator with the temp set at ~145°F for about two hours and I'm done.

I don't know how people think this is too much work, but to each their own.

My FA tumbler and dehydrator take up no more room than my old tumbler and separator.

Now I no longer have to deal with dust or getting residue on my hands and I don't have worry about crushed walnut on my floor or disposing of it.

One tip, especially for the FA tumbler:  when filling the tumbler with water prior to use, use a few drops of Dawn to lubricate both sides of the rubber gasket before tightening the lid.  You won't have to crank the lid down to keep it from leaking and it will open easier.

17 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I started using the rotary method about 30 years ago using rock tumblers (Tommy Tumbler)

Pros:

Really clean & shiny brass inside and out

No dust

Cons:

Cost if you already have vibrator system

Time -

Since I can do the vibrator and have it outside carefully, the dust hasn't been an issue.

My brass is really shiny on the outside and the bullets have not complained about the colored insides, so. . .

The time for the additional steps got in the way for me, so I've used the vibrator for nearly all my reloading.

So it really depends on what your time is worth.

Using the vibrator for cleaning brass can make you shoot faster !

1 minute ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Time -

I do not deprime prior to wet tumbling and I use a Dillon 550.

I do not let my brass sit in the water/cleaning solution once it's done tumbling (2-3 hours depending on amount of brass).  I immediately rinse and place in the dehydrator to dry (another 2 hours).

I have plenty of brass so I'm not trying to rush the drying process, but I can see where some people may have a problem with waiting.

YMMV

I shoot a lot of BP and subs. Don't deprime before wet tumbling and I use SS pins.  Have a rotary media separator to separate the pins and brass. No matter how many cases are in the tumbler I only fill the media separator  basket with no more than 250 cases. Otherwise it is hard to get all the pins out. 

Fill the bottom basket of the separator with enough water to cover the cases in the basket plus an inch or two. The idea is that as you spin the basket the brass rises up out of the water before falling back into the water. This will wash the pins out of the cases. Spin the basket for about 1 minute. Change the water and repeat. 

Spread the brass out in the sun on a cookie sheet and allow them to air dry. In the winter I put them near the heat register. 

here is something to consider that I didn't see mentioned above:

I use SS chips vs. pins

they are much smaller and do a great job after 2½ hours in the wet tumbler.  

https://www.facebook.com/southernshinemedia/     not part of this operation other than a happy customer

kl.jpg

I use a Frankford Wet tumb;er as well.  I use a small amount of dawn dish soap along with SS pins.  I drop my brass in that is NOT deprimed.  Just dont have the time to take the extra step prior to tumbling.  I have noticed that the insides of the case come out WAY cleaner than using the dry media process.  I have also noticed that the turnaround times between batches is way shorter than dry media.  You do have to take that extra step of ensuring the cases are dry PRIOR to reloadingor you may have misfires.  I live in a dry climate and can either leave my cases laying in the sun for a day or in open air for two or three days and the cases are ready to go.  I would imagine if I deprimed prior to tumbling that the primer pockets would sparkle.  The only downside is every once in a while, a ss pin gets lodged inside the primer pocket on the inside of the case causing issues during the reloading process.  But they are easy to remove.  

As mentioned in one post.... I have LOTS of brass, so I'm never pressed for time. After a load of brass is cleaned and dried, my wife and I sit in front of the TV and sort every one of them looking for split cases. Kinda like snaping green beans at Grandma's house. :)

G'day all.

Ended up ordering -

The Lyman Cyclone Rotary Tumbler

Hornady Case/Media sifter

Food Dehydrator off eBay

The food dehydrators looks pretty much exactly the same as firearms company branded 'Brass Case Dryers' for less than a third of their price.

15 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The food dehydrators looks pretty much exactly the same as firearms company branded 'Brass Case Dryers' for less than a third of their price.

Yep

On 12/27/2021 at 9:08 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

G'day pards,

I'm after some advice on wet tumbling, I'm thinking of moving on from dry tumbling and corn and walnut media.

For those who have, are you glad that you did?

Yes, much cleaner brass after wet tumbling than dry tumbling, IMO. Was reluctant to switch but with as much as I shoot the walnut/corn cob media was going to cost me a 2nd mortgage.

What are the pros and cons?

Pros: No dust, practically unlimited reuse of media, brass looks brand new.

Cons: media separation can be a PITA and then you need to dry the brass. Occasionally need to send some brass through a second time, but this may be my fault, not the tumblers.

What hints can you give?

Get 2X the media you think you need. 

I'm thinking of buying the Lyman Cyclone Rotary Tumbler - What do you use?

Frankford Arsenal. Cheap but it works well for me

I'm also looking at buying the Lyman electric case dryer (looks like a food dehydrator) - What do you use?

I use the oven set at 200 degrees for about 2 hours

Will get one of the media separators (never owned one of them before) that you turn the handle - Any recommendations?

I would recommend not using one of those rotating separators. Use this instead https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Rotary-Case-Cleaning-Sifter/dp/B01EIFV6GY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1Q07UYU0C4R9G&keywords=rotary+tumbler+media+separator&qid=1640869626&sprefix=helicoil+%2Caps%2C1165&sr=8-5

Will get a Frankfurt Arsenal magnet pin grabber.

I have one. Works great for me when I need it. Usually only need it when I spill the pins all over the garage.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated, thanks pards and hope that one and all had a good Christmas. 

Also get this brass polish for wet tumblers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQJC90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I vibrate clean in a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler. Due to my shooting 45C, I have very dirty brass! Here's my routine---

1.  Soak in a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water, agitating by shaking the jug every once in a while for about 1/2 hour. Then rinse.

2.  Dry in an old food dehydrator for about an hour or so.

3.  Run in the tumbler with corn cob and a dryer sheet cut in quarters for about an hour and a half.

They look like new. I don't deprime and have had an occasional issue of not drying them well and then the primers may stick when loading. Better to err on leaving them in the dryer longer!!

I use Armorall car wash and wax and lemi shine.  After tumbling I rinse a couple of times to get the soap off then spin them in a media separator.  Then I put them in a food dehydrator for a few hours to dry.  The wash and wax leaves a very slight wax coating that makes straight wall pistol cases go through the sizing die like butter with no additional lube.  You can definitely tell the difference between the wash and wax and dawn soap. 

2 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

I use Armorall car wash and wax and lemi shine.  After tumbling I rinse a couple of times to get the soap off then spin them in a media separator.  Then I put them in a food dehydrator for a few hours to dry.  The wash and wax leaves a very slight wax coating that makes straight wall pistol cases go through the sizing die like butter with no additional lube.  You can definitely tell the difference between the wash and wax and dawn soap. 

How much Armorall product?

13 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

How much Armorall product?

I use 2 tablespoons but could probably get by with 1 1/2.  I tried one and didn't think it got as clean or left enough wax.  Have loaded a few thousand rounds so far and no evidence of wax buildup in my dies.   38's load really nice but you can tell the biggest difference with 45 acp and colt cases.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:09 PM, Jack Spade said:

I think you should get the prize.  I just finished trying your method. WOW!   They did come out looking like jewelry and they went through the resize die like butter, with no case lube.  Thanks!  

On 12/28/2021 at 4:10 PM, Hells Comin said:

Strapping it to your back can help you slip hammer faster. :P

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Runs quieter than I thought it would.

20220104_133746.thumb.jpg.5cf57f5d56cc47046e8a416be0ff663a.jpg

What you need here is a few more screw drivers, tape measures and other "Stuff" hanging on that board. 

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Put some foam or a thick towel under it and it'll run even quieter. ;)

I just take my hearing aids out.  Runs dead quiet.

On 12/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

While the plastic roller bearings of the Tumblr have held up, they are the weak link in the design for sure.

I've had one for over forty years and only had to replace the "rubber band" and the lid gasket. Plasic rollers are just fine

Jasper

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 5:03 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Franklin with SS pins, as I like the insides to be clean also, easier to see powder level and cleans the primer pockets. Dry them on a towel and then into the vibratory with corncob with wax polish to make them easier to size.

Does the car wax people are recommending negate the need for case lube in resizing or do you still need something like an imperial wax, Hornady one shot etc? For .357 and 38 special I almost always go straight from my range bag into my carbide sizer and never clean.  But I'm getting ready to load 350 legend and don't have a carbide die for it so I'm going to have to clean and lube, I was wondering if wet tumbling with the wax negates the lube step.

Interesting! Back to the future!   For years I used a Thumlers Tumbler then at some point "modernized" (I am sure based on gun and reloading magazines) bought an RCBS Vibratory cleaner which I've used most of the time since.  Does a good enough job between walnut shell and corncob -. Is noisier, but the loading room is out of the way, and the door can be closed.  Now that all the new, popular models are rotary I will have to try the tumbler again.  All the years i had it, I only ever had to replace a rubber belt, and bought two so still have a spare.

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

Does the car wax people are recommending negate the need for case lube in resizing or do you still need something like an imperial wax, Hornady one shot etc? For .357 and 38 special I almost always go straight from my range bag into my carbide sizer and never clean.  But I'm getting ready to load 350 legend and don't have a carbide die for it so I'm going to have to clean and lube, I was wondering if wet tumbling with the wax negates the lube step.

Safe answer is no.

Howdy

Well, I see I am too late.

But I will chime in anyway. I have never seen the need for shiny brass. I always say shiny brass does not shoot any better than stained brass. Notice I did not say dirty brass, I said stained brass. The only advantage to shiny brass is that it is easier to find in the grass.

I have been dry tumbling my brass in my old Lyman tumbler for many years. It gets my Smokeless brass as shiny as I need. Since I shoot mostly Black Powder in CAS, my BP brass never comes out shiny again, it is permanently stained. I did not say dirty, I said stained. The brass is clean as a whistle, it is just stained.

Here is a batch of my Black Powder 44-40 loads. I have no idea how many times the brass has been reloaded, it is from different batches. But it has all been reloaded at least a few times. Like I said, the brass is permanently stained, but it is clean. Just not as easy to find when ejected into the grass.

By the way, I never use expensive cleaning medial, I buy ground walnut shells at a big box pet food store. It is the same stuff, much cheaper, and it comes in large bags. Principally used as lizard litter for pet owners with pet lizards.

pno4B2abj

9 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Well, I see I am too late.

But I will chime in anyway. I have never seen the need for shiny brass. I always say shiny brass does not shoot any better than stained brass. Notice I did not say dirty brass, I said stained brass. The only advantage to shiny brass is that it is easier to find in the grass.

I have been dry tumbling my brass in my old Lyman tumbler for many years. It gets my Smokeless brass as shiny as I need. Since I shoot mostly Black Powder in CAS, my BP brass never comes out shiny again, it is permanently stained. I did not say dirty, I said stained. The brass is clean as a whistle, it is just stained.

Here is a batch of my Black Powder 44-40 loads. I have no idea how many times the brass has been reloaded, it is from different batches. But it has all been reloaded at least a few times. Like I said, the brass is permanently stained, but it is clean. Just not as easy to find when ejected into the grass.

By the way, I never use expensive cleaning medial, I buy ground walnut shells at a big box pet food store. It is the same stuff, much cheaper, and it comes in large bags. Principally used as lizard litter for pet owners with pet lizards.

pno4B2abj

A few thoughts:  Clean brass is nicer and healthier to handle while reloading and in use. Sooner or later dirty brass will harm your dies.  It is easier to see bad cases if they are clean.  If the brass has to be stored out of use, dirty brass corrodes and gets nastier.  Never been a fan of jewelry bright, just clean.  Just a question of workmanlike operation.  Everyone has their own standards. 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, Hells Comin said:

Hmmm.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:45 AM, Snakebite said:

Strapping it to your back can help you slip hammer faster. :P

OK, that seals the deal.  I gotta get me one of those Rebel 17s, maybe two with a couple of gallons of Lemi-shine.  Do they come short stroked, or is that aftermarket?

Look out Matt, here I come. 

Archived