SASS Wire Forum

"1883"

Well, I'm not going to worry about a second streaming service, or a monthly fee, or any political inclinations of the actors.....I'm not going to watch it because I did not care for the free episode.  Not a fan of Taylor Sheridan, nor of his story lines and characters.  I've hung in on Yellowstone primarily because of some of the other actors and the sweeping scenery.  But I'd be happier if Sheridan left the cowboy roles to others (and he could take Jimmy with him as well).  In this prequel, the characters seem shallow, the story line muddled and the cinematography choppy.  Maybe I'm not giving it much of a chance to develop; on the other hand, if I have to pay a premium, I expect to be immediately engaged and entertained.  That did not happen.

Every week, I'm sliding closer and closer back to DVDs.

LL

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Well, I'm not going to worry about a second streaming service, or a monthly fee, or any political inclinations of the actors.....I'm not going to watch it because I did not care for the free episode.  Not a fan of Taylor Sheridan, nor of his story lines and characters.  I've hung in on Yellowstone primarily because of some of the other actors and the sweeping scenery.  But I'd be happier if Sheridan left the cowboy roles to others (and he could take Jimmy with him as well).  In this prequel, the characters seem shallow, the story line muddled and the cinematography choppy.  Maybe I'm not giving it much of a chance to develop; on the other hand, if I have to pay a premium, I expect to be immediately engaged and entertained.  That did not happen.

Every week, I'm sliding closer and closer back to DVDs.

LL

Except for John and Beth all the other character roles are mostly unrealistic.  Sheridan's ego is shining through but I'd be proud owner of the Sixes myself.  Have driven by the HQ all my life wishing it was mine.   But now, since its for sale too I'd much rather have the Turkey Track.  I fear the Big Empty may not be empty too many more years.  

4 hours ago, Wild lead said:

People need to look up and do their research on Tim Mcgraw and his support for gun control.

I'm personally unfamiliar with the idea of researching anything about movie stars and other actors. I don't follow the movie star magazines, cyber or print. I'm as interesting in the politics of actors as I am in those of my internist and orthopedic surgeon.

Do folks actually "do their research" on movie actors?

'

21 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I'm personally unfamiliar with the idea of researching anything about movie stars and other actors. I don't follow the movie star magazines, cyber or print. I'm as interesting in the politics of actors as I am in those of my internist and orthopedic surgeon.

Do folks actually "do their research" on movie actors?

'

You don’t have to they have big mouths and spout their politics wherever they can, Sam Elliot did a voice commercial for Biden, Clint Eastwood came out loud and clear for Bloomberg! Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are known anti gunners. All one has to do is listen to a little news and get updates from gun groups like NRA, GOA etc. No research necessary!

8 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

There were some glitches on correct time frames for certain firearms.   An open top for McGraw would have been more preferable and a Sharps instead of the hiWall.

Y'all tell me this.  The preview seemed to be a composite of future episodes and in one scenario Tim gets severely wounded and stumbles into the cabin where frantic screaming is heard.  Assuming he died,  I wonder if this is where his generation died and a young John takes over in the continuing saga.

Why an open top? 

After watching the first episode it was 50% commercials.  If it was free I would watch another episode to see if it grows on me.  Right now I would not pay to see it.

30 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I just watched the first episode without commercials.  Somewhat formulaic, but the Sam Elliot character and his partner, and even Tim McGraw looked the part.  Didn't "hook me", though.  Not worth me paying extra to watch it.

Pretty standard western.

I'll keep watching Yellowstone as it's as the channel it's on is included in my cable package. 1883 was okay I guess. I sure wouldn't pay extra for a + subscription just to see it. The whole nickel and diming you thing (for something that you already pay for), has turned into something that seems to be accepted by the millennial crowd. I guess that they are used to the extra charges with their cell phones that seem to be more important than real life.

We don’t do Boxing Day. Canada does. It’s on tonight. Watching it now.

Just finished watching the three episodes in one sitting.  Mostly well done... just a few anachronisms not worth mentioning.  ^_^

All in all I enjoyed it.  Good acting, a few casting surprises and a reasonably good depiction of the times.  And brutal...

I watched the second episode of 1883 after Yellowstone last night. It was okay but Isabella May (the actress that plays McGraw's daughter) is probably the best actor in that whole show. Sam Elliot is losing it and McGraw is terrible as well as his wife. I found it kind of boring to be honest!:o

I was thinking the singers are doing a much better job acting than I was prepared to see. Sam Elliot is playing an old, sad, haggard and easily irritated cowboy perfectly. :D

So far 1883 is one of the best Westerns I've watched, especially for a series. Has not disappointed at all.

5 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I was thinking the singers are doing a much better job acting than I was prepared to see. Sam Elliot is playing an old, sad, haggard and easily irritated cowboy perfectly. :D

So far 1883 is one of the best Westerns I've watched, especially for a series. Has not disappointed at all.

To each his own but as far as a series I don't think it even comes close to Lonesome Dove.

I also have to sadly admit that part of the reason I'm not crazy about this series is the anti-gun McGraw and his wife and Sam Elliot who also went to the dark side for a commercial for Biden. It just bugs me to watch these people!

That said, I still don't think it's that good but I'll watch as long as it's free!:lol:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

To each his own but as far as a series I don't think it even comes close to Lonesome Dove.

Lonesome Dove is the king. Nothing will ever come close to that one. It's in a league all of its own.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I watched the second episode of 1883 after Yellowstone last night. It was okay but Isabella May (the actress that plays McGraw's daughter) is probably the best actor in that whole show. Sam Elliot is losing it and McGraw is terrible as well as his wife. I found it kind of boring to be honest!:o

Rye,

I'm with you on this.....

Watched E2 last night.

Think they are doing a good job.

Looking forward to the rest of the show. 

Don't like those singers either. But not going to stop me from watching a western.

If we don't start watching them. They will stop making them. 

Thought Billy Bob did a great job in his role. 

Overall I’d give it a B. Pretty good job done by the whole cast in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

I like it but now we have to get paramount + to watch beyond the 2nd episode. 

Rafe

They put the teaser on and now you got to pay if you watt see anymore I think it's crappola. I already pay for direct tv and I don't have enough download speed on my computer hookup to stream anything. I live pretty rural and my computer hookup is pretty bad. I really think it's a ripoff to do what lots of the shows are doing charging more to see their stuff that direct tv already paid them for and you still get a ton of commercials.

Archived