SASS Wire Forum

"1883"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I also would like to watch it.

I am not going to pay extra to watch it thou.

If Sam Elliott can make a Western at 75 years old. 

Don't see why Tom Sellect can't come out with another one as well .

Be nice to see those two back in the Saddle .

Exactly. The networks and their Plus subscriptions have really torqued me off!

The problem with a lot of the streaming services is they have one or two good shows.  So you sign up and find out the rest of the stuff on their network is crap.  I would watch this but will not sign up for another service to watch one show.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The problem with a lot of the streaming services is they have one or two good shows.  So you sign up and find out the rest of the stuff on their network is crap.  I would watch this but will not sign up for another service to watch one show.

Yeah. One or two new shows and dozens of old reruns and low budget crap.

Make a new tv show, put it on a channel that is included in a cable package. Hey, that show turned out to be popular and well received regardless of age or ethnic group. Gee, that made us a ton of money, let's make a prequel and put it on a new network (of our own network) and charge more money. What a deal, let's call it a + channel, that way, they'll think they're getting something more. They'll probably subscribe, suckers, even though there will only be eight episodes before a six month hiatus.

I remember why I got cable to begin with...no commercials. I would watch it, but they've gone too far.

And unless you pay an even bigger fee, you STILL have the damned commercials!!

I get Paramount + through Hulu+ Live. I have 1883 marked on my calendar. 

Folks adopted streaming when cable and satellite companies got too greedy. I dropped cable TV due to price. Many people I know have bills of $200 or more per month. I also know folks who don't own a TV. There are multiple streaming options that are low or no cost.

The big issue with streaming is a high speed internet connection.  UNFORTUNATELY, in my area the only game in town is Cox.  If there were another provider with reliable high speed internet I would drop cable.

I just checked on Paramount+.  It is $4.99 a month to watch it with commercials or $9.99 to watch commercial free.  This means I won't be watching at all.  I am not adding another extra cost streaming service to my ever increasing bill.  There are many nights where I spend most of the night going through the menus on Netflix, Prime, AppleTV, HBOMax and DisneyTV and can't find anything worth watching.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The big issue with streaming is a high speed internet connection.  UNFORTUNATELY, in my area the only game in town is Cox.  If there were another provider with reliable high speed internet I would drop cable.

Same here!

Larson...Check out Elon Musk's Star Link.....SUPER high speed for $99 a month....

As the last of the Direct TV and other aged satellites run out of fuel and crash and burn.....We will all be streaming. No way out of it....It's the future of TV...Unless you can live with what "Over The Air" offers in your area.

Extended write-up of 1883, and especially the filming process and the casting, in today's NYTimes; sounds very interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/16/arts/television/1883-yellowstone-prequel.html?searchResultPosition=1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Exactly. The networks and their Plus subscriptions have really torqued me off!

Me too! Rip off artists!

57 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Starts tonight on TV.

Get it on two different channels. 

Comes on right after Yellowstone. 

Thanks for posting that.

I looked and also get it.

Haven't ever seen a single episode of Yellowstone but I'll give 1883 a chance.

DVR is set to record series.

Tonight was a free preview of the first episode on Paramount.  If you want to watch more episodes, you will need to subscribe to Paramount + for $4.99 or $9.99 per month. Episode 2 is on Paramount + now with new episodes to be released weekly.  If you want to see the show, subscribe for a month or two (until the season ends) then cancel your subscription.  It take a few minutes to subscribe and a few minutes to cancel.  

If there was a great new western in the theater or available to rent at home are you saying you wouldn’t pay $5 or $10 to do that?  This isn’t much different.

16 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Tonight was a free preview of the first episode on Paramount.  If you want to watch more episodes, you will need to subscribe to Paramount + for $4.99 or $9.99 per month. Episode 2 is on Paramount + now with new episodes to be released weekly.  If you want to see the show, subscribe for a month or two (until the season ends) then cancel your subscription.  It take a few minutes to subscribe and a few minutes to cancel.  

If there was a great new western in the theater or available to rent at home are you saying you wouldn’t pay $5 or $10 to do that?  This isn’t much different.

If I have to subscribe to another streaming service I won't be watching any more of the episodes.

I don't subscribe to any streaming service that has a fee.  I do have Disney+ as part of my phone plan and my wife has Netflix.  While I watch a couple of shows on each of those services, I personally wouldn't pay money for either.

And no - I don't go the theatre to watch movies.  I'll wait for it to air on one of the services that I have or I won't see it.  We don't have high-speed internet out here in the country so streaming isn't an option unless I/we watch on our phones.

6 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Sure I’d pay $5.00 to $10.00 ONE TIME for a 2 1/2 hr. movie but this is $4.95 a month for however long it goes on! 
No thanks, it’s a typical money grab!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sure I’d pay $5.00 to $10.00 ONE TIME for a 2 1/2 hr. movie but this is $4.95 a month for however long it goes on! 
No thanks, it’s a typical money grab!

I did watch the Free preview though and it does look pretty good. I'm torn.............

I watched it for free last night. It was on several free stations on Amazon prime and my Hulu. The one I watched was on one of the MTV stations I think and when it was over it was playing on CMT. Pretty good first episode, hope I can continue to watch it.

The second episode of 1883 will probably play on Paramount/CMT/MTV network next week and then it will only be on the streaming Paramount+.  That is how they launched Mayor of Kingstown a month ago.

One of the commercials last night had a code for one month of Paramount+ as a free trial.  They filmed 10 or 12 episodes which would require a 2-3 month subscription for the remainder of the first season.

There were some glitches on correct time frames for certain firearms.   An open top for McGraw would have been more preferable and a Sharps instead of the hiWall.

Y'all tell me this.  The preview seemed to be a composite of future episodes and in one scenario Tim gets severely wounded and stumbles into the cabin where frantic screaming is heard.  Assuming he died,  I wonder if this is where his generation died and a young John takes over in the continuing saga.

People need to look up and do their research on Tim Mcgraw and his support for gun control.  Then if you want to support the film that's your choice  Because today we still live in a free America no guarantees what tomorrow may hold.

58 minutes ago, Wild lead said:

People need to look up and do their research on Tim Mcgraw and his support for gun control.  Then if you want to support the film that's your choice  Because today we still live in a free America no guarantees what tomorrow may hold.

If you're a conservative, pro-gun actor good luck finding a job in Hollywood anymore. All the ones I'm aware of have either retired or have been forced to make cheap direct-to-video movies lately.

Archived