SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1886 Tang Sight/Bolt Interaction Issue

Cholla

I recently purchased a genuine Winchester 1886. It came with a tang-mounted peep sight and no longer has the barrel-mounted buckhorn sight. My plan is to use it in long-range rifle caliber rifle matches. The problem is that each time the bolt opens it knocks the peep sight backwards so it has to be reset before shooting. Is this a common issue? I can't see this helping my times if I have to reset the peep sight before each shot. I am guessing I need to restore the barrel buckhorn sight.

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

Have a Marable's Improved tang sight on mine.  The windage adjustment is wasted because the tang sight fits into the notch on the rear of the bolt.     GW

Pictures added. I wonder if I could dis-assemble the sight and turn it around? It will need to be taller. Having never used one like this before I have a bit of a learning curve.

2 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Pictures added. I wonder if I could dis-assemble the sight and turn it around? It will need to be taller. Having never used one like this before I have a bit of a learning curve.

Does it only contact the eyecup? Maybe a smaller diameter eyecup, or none at all. Just use it without any aperture, just the ghost ring. Works well out to 150 or so. 

43 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Sight base is either backwards or the wrong one. The correct Lyman or Marbles sight would sit on the tang such that it would not be hit by the bolt. On my 92 it firs into the notch in the rear of the bolt.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Sight base is either backwards or the wrong one. The correct Lyman or Marbles sight would sit on the tang such that it would not be hit by the bolt. On my 92 it firs into the notch in the rear of the bolt.

Blew up the picture and I'm betting it is the wrong sight for that rifle.  IIRC disassembling a lyman sight base is not easy and I don't think they can be reversed.

Here is a picture of what a correct base on an 86 looks like.

dsc07690_1024x576.thumb.jpg.82c0a03a26e7b39824310523b3c42b6f.jpgoriginal-1886-winchester-lyman-ni_1_19a0fec2c53cbb18aa8d9d8e7db1b52f.jpg.c4baed1febf2eb4367eef76e7c7736a1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Blew up the picture and I'm betting it is the wrong sight for that rifle.  IIRC disassembling a lyman sight base is not easy and I don't think they can be reversed.

Here is a picture of what a correct base on an 86 looks like.

http://images58.fotki.com/v279/photos/2/36012/10301736/P1030209-vi.jpg

I am going to say you are correct. If I turned it around the screw holes would not be correct as one is smaller that the other.

This appears to be what I need:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/marbles-tang-sight-for-86-76-mar009801.html

https://www.buffaloarms.com/screw-set-front10-36x-355-rear-mar995019.html

While the old sight is a tad boogered up, it seems to have collector value.

Just saying pard but if you are going to get a Marbles sight before you decide which one I have a longer sight post (brand new) that you can have. (just have to find it) :)Pretty sure most of their tang sights are interchangeable but one of the LR guys could be more definitive.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

My goal is to use it at Bordertown at 150 yards using .40-82. From what I have found, that calls for the shortest post (0-250 yards) of the three available. The one listed in the link above doesn't seem to state which post it is.

23 hours ago, Cholla said:

I recently purchased a genuine Winchester 1886. It came with a tang-mounted peep sight and no longer has the barrel-mounted buckhorn sight. My plan is to use it in long-range rifle caliber rifle matches. The problem is that each time the bolt opens it knocks the peep sight backwards so it has to be reset before shooting. Is this a common issue? I can't see this helping my times if I have to reset the peep sight before each shot. I am guessing I need to restore the barrel buckhorn sight.

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

Those old sights are stamped under the base as to what they fit

2 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Take Sight of base.

Turn Base around . See if Sight will work that way . 

In your picture looks like it should work .

AFAIN the detent for the sight is not adjustable. So turning it around is not an option. 
Also it will put the sight too far rearward and make it too short. 

I have a new sight coming from Buffalo Arms that is supposed to be the appropriate height for the 1886 and the cartridges they were built for. The posts are supposedly not interchangeable. 

I use an 1886 for long range lever rifle ( rifle caliber ) and as my in close woods deer rifle.  use  26 grains of 5744 and a ball of dryer lint to keep the powder close to the primer.   check your bore diameter.  I tried to use .406 " 265gr bullets for a while,  but found my '86 liked  .408" much better.  As a deer gun it's good out to 200yds.  best of luck with a great gun and a good caliber .   Seven

On 12/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Just for grins. Try shooting the rifle at 150 yards with the iron sights. (barrel sights)

150 yards is really too close for peep sight or vernier sight.

There isn’t a rear barrel mounted sight. It has been removed by a past owner. 

Archived