SASS Wire Forum

Shameful Southern Secrets

Subdeacon Joe

"Pretend to root for a team I'm not even on".

That's me. I have never understood watching sports. I used to play sports. I played tennis, I played golf, I played baseball, I played football. I even played soccer a few times. And I enjoyed them every time I played them.

But watching someone else play them? And getting all excited and jumping up and down and yelling and screaming, and painting my face in team colors???

I don't get it.

Me and Maya would get along just fine. I couldn’t care less about football…basketball…baseball…hockey…cricket…etc.

I would rather watch paint dry…seriously. 

For those that think I am weird…Bless yer hearts…:lol:

I had season tickets to our Ottawa Red/Blacks, but.........................

OK...

Here's my confession.........................

I'm a Canadian.................

And..................

I don't watch hockey.

There. I said it!

10 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

OK...

And..................

I don't watch hockey.

Ain't that grounds for you losing your Canadian citizenship?

Canadians are as foolish about hockey as Southerners are about football.

14 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

But where can he be deported?

Don't send him here! We've got Komet Hockey and it's big business!

I played football from when I was 6 until 20. I love football but don't particularly enjoy watching it. The Detroit Lions helped do that. But I do enjoy attending football parties and having snacks and beer. 

I don't see the problem. There used to be a Rose bowl and a Orange bowl and a sugar bowl and a Cotton bowl, and who knows what else bowl. And somebody had to pay for them.

Now apparently the San Diego credit Union is paying for one, so they call it the San Diego credit Union bowl.

I seem to recall, some years back, stock car race called The Winston Cup. Because, I assume, Winston cigarettes sponsored it. They don't have the Winston Cup anymore, because cigarettes are bad, mmm'kay. But what's the difference between the Winston Cup and the San Diego credit Union bowl?

Ok, I'll confess, I love the South.  Don't ever want to leave it.  But, I don't like NASCAR (it bores me to death), football, basketball, soccer (is that really considered a sport?), golf, or any spectator sport.  I'd rather watch the grass grow.    

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I had season tickets to our Ottawa Red/Blacks, but.........................

OK...

And..................

I don't watch hockey.

There. I said it!

Yeah but curling is captivating.

At least once during every round of golf that I play, when a fellow competitor makes a good putt I say, “Good weight!!”

It’s fun when he indicates that he understands the compliment.  :)

............ Y'all orta try bein' Australian and not watching/liking/interested/playing either football, cricket, tennis, golf, basketball, horse racing, netball, ... or any other televised or spectator sport .......

...... although I did once watch chainsaw racing .... for about 37 seconds ......

:blush:

3 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Pat - Superbowl Sunday was always a great day to go for a long M/C ride is Socal. B)

It's also one of the best days to go shopping!!!!

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't see the problem. There used to be a Rose bowl and a Orange bowl and a sugar bowl and a Cotton bowl,

Yep.  Exactly.  FOUR bowl games.  Now there are what, 40? 50?  And THAT is the problem.

42 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Yeah but curling is captivating.

It is!  If chess and shuffleboard got married and had a sport to play on ice...and played with a stone that's almost a half cwt it would be curling.

3 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Pat - Superbowl Sunday was always a great day to go for a long M/C ride is Socal. B)

Yes, it is. I take advantage of every year no matter where I live. ;)

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, I hope a Moderator removes this Thread before  it becomes a confessional post.

Shame on all Y'all.   SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

..........Widder

Bless yer heart. :P

Some of y'all just ain't right.  I don't care for professional football, with a couple of exceptions, but college ball?  It matters.  A lot.  And that includes ACC basketball.  It's not as good since they let all those schools from states without an AC in, but it still matters.  I have personally seen it bring a pleasant family Thanksgiving dinner to a schreeching halt.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The games make it easier for me to take a nap.

Especially baseball    zzzzzzzzzzz

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't see the problem. There used to be a Rose bowl and a Orange bowl and a sugar bowl and a Cotton bowl, and who knows what else bowl. And somebody had to pay for them.

Now apparently the San Diego credit Union is paying for one, so they call it the San Diego credit Union bowl.

I seem to recall, some years back, stock car race called The Winston Cup. Because, I assume, Winston cigarettes sponsored it. They don't have the Winston Cup anymore, because cigarettes are bad, mmm'kay. But what's the difference between the Winston Cup and the San Diego credit Union bowl?

Actually, the race (one race only) used to be called The Winston. The entire race series for the year was called the Winston Cup Series with points accumulated from all of the races run during that year, not including The Winston or an all-star race at Daytona run at the beginning of the year.. The Winston was an all-star race that featured previous race winners and was usually run the weekend before Memorial Day at Charlotte although it was run at other venues.

When tobacco advertising was banned from most major sporting events in the US, RJ Renolds (manufacture of Winston cigarettes) was granted a finite time to end their sponsorship and naming rights of NASCAR and other sporting events. Other tobacco manufactures were afforded the same grace periods.

The difference between Winston Cup name and company logos or names is simply that the Feds wanted to eliminate advertising, in any shape/form/fashion, of tobacco related products. They accomplished their goal by outlawing most tobacco type advertising in all professional and amateur sports. I'm not standing up for the tobacco industry or their products, but it is an age restricted legal product in the US that has been denied the opportunity to advertise their product. Most people don't have a problem with that...but what if the Feds felt the same about firearms?

As to Shameful Southern Secrets, I guess that scenario is true at most gatherings. Some are sports fans and some aren't. I used to be a rabid NASCAR and pro football fan, now...not so much. Still will watch NASCAR on occasion but the NFL can kma.

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

............ Y'all orta try bein' Australian and not watching/liking/interested/playing either football, cricket, tennis, golf, basketball, horse racing, netball, ... or any other televised or spectator sport .......

...... although I did once watch chainsaw racing .... for about 37 seconds ......

:blush:

Ya ever seen Wife Carrying?

4 hours ago, MizPete said:

Some of y'all just ain't right.  I don't care for professional football, with a couple of exceptions, but college ball?  It matters.  A lot.  And that includes ACC basketball.  It's not as good since they let all those schools from states without an AC in, but it still matters.  I have personally seen it bring a pleasant family Thanksgiving dinner to a schreeching halt.

I didn't say I watched professional sports either.  The only sports I'm halfway interested in is baseball.  That's all.  I much prefer the college world series of baseball over the "professional" games any day of the week.

Archived