SASS Wire Forum

Need your input

My wife has been going through frying pans right and left. 

No matter how good they claim they are,  they never lady more than 6 to 8 months before things start sticky to the bottom. 

She has mentioned getting an enameled cast iron getting pan with a ceramic coated inside.

Based on either your experience or a suggestion from your significant other,  what have you found to be the absolute longest lasting frying pan?

Appreciate your suggestions. 

In general you can't crank the heat full bore, no matter what the blurb with the pan says.  Also, usually getting the pan screaming hot before you put something in so you get a good hard sear is a death sentence for non-stick pans.

Don't use metal utensils, don't use abrasive scrubbers, don't put them in the dishwasher.

About 3 years ago I bought a 12" non-stick skillet at a restaurant supply place (Cash and Carry, I think it's Chef's Store now).  It's never been in the dishwasher, the closest to an abrasive in it has been coarse salt, never been on heat for longer than needed to melt a little butter before the food went in, only silicone or wooden utensils have been used in it.   Still as good as the day I got it.   Best 26 bucks I ever spent on a pan.

I have a couple of black iron pans that are almost non-stick, and one sheet steel skillet that I bought at Cash and Carry that is also almost non-stick.  That one got taken to reenactments and used for camp cooking.  On a grate over the fire, directly on a bed of coals, directly on the flaming wood in the fire.  Had to reseason it a few times and take some firewood and pound the bottom flat again after it had gotten too hot.

Her mother always cooked with a cast iron skillet; however,  my Ann's  not into seasoning the pan like her mother had to do.

Thank you both for the suggestions. 

My son-in-law has a couple of these and he loves them. The brand is called “Tramotina”. Very good pans. Here’s 10, 12 & 8 inch pans. He’s had his for a few years. 

Tramontina 80114/535DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan, 10", NSF-Certified https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FBGSE3NK3TV6WY0A67WE

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (12-inch) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQR0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PKZA676JA4F9ZEAK3E04

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (8-inch) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKPD0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1DEHZB5NM3VY3M8NGBG6

Most of the non-stick will fail.

But, the higher $$ coated, when used with moderate heat and no metal utensils, will last years.

Cast Iron is FOREVER.

*The flat top/smooth top stoves tell you not to use cast iron on them...it breaks down the elements.

My dad was in the plastic utensil business when Teflon first came out.  God I'm old.   I learned that you never use a metal utensil in any coated pan.  My wife finally accepted this after countless pans scratched to bits.  Her cast iron pan is well seasoned and is great.  Stuff may look like it is stuck to it but it scrubs right off with hot water and a brush.  Heat it to dry, lightly oil for storage.

About a year ago, after going through a situation similar to your wife's I purchased this pan. Following the directions of no dishwasher, letting it cool before washing, no metal utensiles and heat at med high or lower, and it has remained the slicker-iest, non-sticky non-sticky-ness pan I have owned, and so far looks like new.

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

The worst thing on non-stick pans is glass top stoves. they cycle on and off. Heat is regulated by how long the power is on to the element. Pans that food sticks to at my residence work fine in my travel trailer, the trailer is gas.

kR

Have to agree.

Many of the pans at the cabin that cooked irregularly on the glass top, work beautifully on the electric coil replacement stove.

I also have learned to appreciate gas stoves!

6 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I also have learned to appreciate gas stoves!

I learned to cook on a gas stove and would kill or die for one.  Petey sez no - he doesn't like the smell.  But he never sat his butt in the kitchen & regulated that electric burner BY HAND to keep the pressure constant while canning.  And the combination of gas flame under a cast iron skillet is unbeatable.  Just remembered - I used to get free beach trips with a bestie's family because I was the only one not afraid to light the oven.

Back on topic:  Fr Kit, seasoning & maintaining cast iron is just not that hard.  All you gotta do is follow the seasoning directions (in the oven) one time*; then use the pan regularly, heat it before adding the cooking oil & food, keep it as far from the dishwasher as you possibly can, dry thoroughly after washing (and yes, you can use soap if it needs it), recoat the pan before heating (I use coconut oil or go to Buzzywaxx.com) & you can't go wrong.

What IS getting increasingly hard for me is picking up the hot skillet with one hand - but it is the weight that contributes to even & perfect cooking.

*OK, if you irrevocably screw it up, you will have to recoat & do the oven thing again.  But it's still not hard.  Oh yeah; when you grease that pan for seasoning, put a baking pan on the rack below or you will be cleaning the oven.  Seems to be a given, but we've all made the mistake - once.

Lodge says their pans are preseasoned & ready to go.  IDK from personal experience.

8 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I learned to cook on a gas stove and would kill or die for one.  Petey sez no - he doesn't like the smell.  But he never sat his butt in the kitchen & regulated that electric burner BY HAND to keep the pressure constant while canning.  And the combination of gas flame under a cast iron skillet is unbeatable.  Just remembered - I used to get free beach trips with a bestie's family because I was the only one not afraid to light the oven.

Back on topic:  Fr Kit, seasoning & maintaining cast iron is just not that hard.  All you gotta do is follow the seasoning directions (in the oven) one time*; then use the pan regularly, heat it before adding the cooking oil & food, keep it as far from the dishwasher as you possibly can, dry thoroughly after washing (and yes, you can use soap if it needs it), recoat the pan before heating (I use coconut oil or go to Buzzywaxx.com) & you can't go wrong.

What IS getting increasingly hard for me is picking up the hot skillet with one hand - but it is the weight that contributes to even & perfect cooking.

*OK, if you irrevocably screw it up, you will have to recoat & do the oven thing again.  But it's still not hard.  Oh yeah; when you grease that pan for seasoning, put a baking pan on the rack below or you will be cleaning the oven.  Seems to be a given, but we've all made the mistake - once.

Lodge says their pans are preseasoned & ready to go.  IDK from personal experience.

Yes on the weight of the cast iron...they can be daunting.

28 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Just put the skillet on low heat add water and let it boil for a minute or so.

I've never tried that but I will for sure.

Circulon set we got from Costco has been the best we have had to date, performance exceeds more expensive sets.  We have only used on electric but don’t need any oil and super easy non stick clean. Plus its from Costco so warranty is easy should they fail…

https://www.costco.com/circulon-premier-professional-13-piece-hard-anodized-cookware-set-(black).product.100529430.html

A while back I decided I didn't like the idea of ingesting the various coatings that are used and I've switched back to stainless steel for my frying pans, electric wok & rice cooker. 

Cleaning is done by letting it soak in hot and/or soapy water.  Most stuck food can be removed with a scrub side of a sponge and for really tough stuck food I'll use a stainless scrubber.   Some of the pans do have cosmetic stains.

All the cast iron cookware I have seen in the last 25 years or so is CRAP as it is not properly finished from the factory. Way back when the manufacturer used to sand the cooking surface smooth. Now you get it "as cast" with a horribly rough finish covered with some sort of sprayed on finish.

Here is how the experts prep the cooking surface for seasoning. Once you do this you'll learn to love how non-stick cast iron is.  BTW never put food in the skillet until it is up to cooking temp.

Boiling water in the pot is the best way to remove stuck on food. For really stubborn ones, add a drop of soap.

Father Kit,

I had the same problem as your wife.  I do all the cooking in our home.  My wife is glad to do the dishes.  Unfortunately, she has repeatedly used abrasive cleaning pads on my no-stick pans.  We now have an agreement that she doesn't touch my pans - she was more than happy to give up this cleaning chore.

After going through countless no-stick pans, I purchased the set listed below.  They are going strong for two years now; I'm ecstatic.  The reason they have lasted is that they are hard anodized.  I saw the ones JD Lud mentioned at Costco just recently.  They are also hard anodized and look very good.  If I didn't already have my All-Clad pans, I would have purchased a set.  The Costco set also comes with lids and they also offer a two frying pan set that's a good price.

Amazon.com: All-Clad E785S264/E785S263 HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free 8 and 10-Inch Fry Pan Cookware Set, 2-Piece, Black : Everything Else

The Lodge cast iron cookware company is located near Chattanooga, so I have several of their pans as well as my no-stick and solid SS pans.  Cast iron is preferable if you use high heat on a dish.  Lodge sells a SS chainmail cleaning pad that works well on these pans.  I use a SS wool scrubby, if my CI pans have a little crud stuck on them.

Archived