SASS Wire Forum

Merry Christmas

sassnetguy50

40 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Please explain this portrayal of the nativity.

It really isn't different than western depictions, other than being less naturalistic.  In the center is Jesus, the Christ, in the manger, with the Theotokos on one side and, somewhat unusual, Joseph the Betrothed on the other.  He is more often depicted outside the cave and sitting on a rock pondering how a virgin could give birth.  Christ is wrapped in white lined, foreshadowing His death and burial.  His being in the manger signifies that He is the Bread of Life.  The ox signifies the Jews - "The ox knowns his master" (something like that, I think from Isiah), and the donkey the Gentiles - "The donkey knows his masters manger" (again from one of the prophets).  This is one of the simpler icons, and I suspect that it is a segment of a larger one as some of the usual figures are missing - the angels, shepherds, Magi, etc.  

Here is a better explanation of the Nativity icon: https://antiochianprodsa.blob.core.windows.net/websiteattachments/Nativity Icon - FR Kfouf.pdf

Several other versions:

The Icon of the Nativity: Images Foretold by the Prophets - Articles on the  Nativity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese  of America

http://becomeorthodox.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/a37833ad323d8e12995fb09de656f206.jpeg

Nativity Icon given to Mission | St. Nikolai of Zhitsa Mission

@Subdeacon Joe Thank you, two questions left:

Is there significance to the wise men being elevated above the cave while waiting in the top left?  Typically they are at the same elevation or lower and travelling.  

Are those 2-3 small figures at the edge of the gold above Mary's head meant to be angels?  I've never seen them portrayed in a diminutive form to the humans, detracting from the significance of their presence.

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Is there significance to the wise men being elevated above the cave while waiting in the top left? 

I think that is just a bit of artistic license by the iconographer.

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Are those 2-3 small figures at the edge of the gold above Mary's head meant to be angels? 

Things that look like balls of fuzz?

image.png.ef3fce2ab344af3de235db3bd423837d.png

If it is, those are an abbreviation of Μήτηρ τοῦ Θεοῦ  , Mater Theos, Mother of God.  Here is one that shows it more clearly:

The Theotokos and Christ

Archived