SASS Wire Forum

Algebra is needed to cook prime rib I guess

Trigger Mike

Recipe said cook a 7 pound boneless prime rib at 550 for 42 minutes for medium.  Wife had ne rub it with spices and Saud we needed to hurry and put it in.  

Temp at time I put it in was 368 and climbing.   I set the timer for 42.  6 minutes later she caught it and turned the timer off.  About 4 minutes later it is 400 so I turn it back on for 42 minutes.  

It took a while to get to 550.  After 42 minutes,  she turned timer off and I waited about 3 minutes and since we'll done is 49 minutes,  I set the timer for 3 minutes.   Waited 2 extra minutes and turned the oven off.  It is supposed to stay in the oven for 2 hours.  I'm thinking it will be done by that time.   The temp before I reset the 3 minutes in the meat was 67 internally. 

@Trigger Mike,

Did you follow the flowchart instructions carefully?

Snip-it_1640389914026.jpg.5620954b6ac315ad4eac5fb038d98aa9.jpg

Those instructions make no sense to me. You will find many good instructions for a rib roast with a quick internet search.

We always keep a written  record, going back many years in an old book; documenting the times the rib roast was absolutely perfect. We always do a whole rib with our big gang.

When you pre-heat an oven to a temperature, then pre-heat it to that temperature before you start.

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

My wife was in a panic and when she is in a panic,  even I sometimes do what she says.   I wasn't sure so I ran it back up to 400 for a few minutes.   

At this point the method has been fiddled with too much. It is supposed to put a good crust on the outside and then cook the meat with the residual heat of the oven.  

Pull the meat out, check internal temperature, preferably with a remote thermometer you can leave in when you put it back in the oven if you need to.  Heat the oven to 350 and let it get to temperature.  Tent the meat with foil, put in the oven and cook to the internal temperature you want.

I expect that if you do have to put it back in the outer inch or so will be overcooked.

so - im not good at algebra , and ive had issues cooking , maybe i should sell my grill and dine out more often ? 

i can do trig and geometry once yall can equate that to cooking maybe ill start again ????????

Generally a prime rib recipe does all the cooking at 350 F, after starting with a 550 broil for just a minute or two to put a nice crust on the surface.  The more fiddling folks do, the more chances it comes out poorly.  Too many cooks in the kitchen do spoil the roast.  And as stated, you always start with the oven pre-heated to proper temperatures.

Too bad a small end got burned.  I would call that over done.  As long as my piece doesn't get up off the plate and run off, it's fine by me.

But, enjoy!  GJ

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

so - im not good at algebra , and ive had issues cooking , maybe i should sell my grill and dine out more often ? 

i can do trig and geometry once yall can equate that to cooking maybe ill start again ????????

I'm the same way.

What's really weird is that to do trig and geometry you need algebra.   

Archived