SASS Wire Forum

Tongue-in-cheek gifts

I don't think this qualifies as "tongue in cheek". Gag gift.

My brother has a birth defect. He has no fingers on his left hand - just a thumb. And in high school band every Christmas they gave gag gifts. The girl that drew his name bought a pair of those cheap brown Jersey work gloves, cut the fingers off the left hand and sewed the holes up.

Then after she wrapped the package and turned it in, she apparently had second thoughts. And when he unwrap the package she was standing right there to apologize in case he got mad. And he's standing there looking at his fingerless glove and she's starting to apologize, and he says GENIUS! WHY DIDN'T I EVER THINK OF THIS?

And ever since high school, when he buys a pair of gloves, he turns the left one inside out, cuts the fingers off, and neatly sews the holes shut (actually, he gets his wife to do it).

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

My brother has a birth defect. He has no fingers on his left hand - just a thumb. And in high school band every Christmas they gave gag gifts. The girl that drew his name bought a pair of those cheap brown Jersey work gloves, cut the fingers off the left hand and sewed the holes up.

Then after she wrapped the package and turned it in, she apparently had second thoughts. And when he unwrap the package she was standing right there to apologize in case he got mad. And he's standing there looking at his fingerless glove and she's starting to apologize, and he says GENIUS! WHY DIDN'T I EVER THINK OF THIS?

And ever since high school, when he buys a pair of gloves, he turns the left one inside out, cuts the fingers off, and neatly sews the holes shut (actually, he gets his wife to do it).

How many people were in tears after?

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

Your brother is the genius.

Gag Gifts are an ancient and honorable tradition in my wife's family; the Gag Gift is often regifted many, many times!

This year's is a miniature violin, with a display stand and a tiny, matching bow and even a violin case: it doesn't play, more's the pity, but she carefully scribed a tiny scroll that says, "This tiny violin plays 'My Heart Bleeds For You!' " -- and her sister laughed well and heartily when she unwrapped it!

(One year The Gag Gift was a zip lock baggie with three AA batteries and a note that said "Gift Not Included!")

For our 50th Cristmas I bought my wife a blue star sapphire ring that she had wanted.  I got a heavy cardboard shipping tube, filled it half full of small rocks, put the ring box in the tube and filled it with more rocks.  I had a friend's wife wrap it very nicely and then I stuck it under the tree.

For two Shawna picked up this thirty pound tube and kept on asking what it was.  I told her it was a box of rocks.

On Christmas morning the kids came to visit and we opened our gifts.  Guess which one she opened first. She started to dump the rocks when My daughter  (who had no clue what was in the tube) suggested she slow down a take them out more carefully.  When Shawna found the little jewelry box she opened it very careful and found the ring with a note in it "One more rock for my rock through fifty great years"  The other rocks went in her kitchen window box, but she wore the ring for a year and a half until she died.

When we came home from Okinawa I bought my mom a very nice pair of brass candle sticks that came apart for storage.  Made a box about 4" x 4", x 7'".

We took it over a week before Christmas and I told her to put it in the freezer.  She did and when she opened it she just looked confused for a few seconds while Dad laughed himself into the hiccups....then Mom got the giggles, too.

The next year I got Dad a three pound box of turkey giblets, necks, and backs....his personal favorites....and told him to put the box in the freezer.  "Yeah, right!  What is this, golf balls or rifle ammunition?  You aren't going to sucker me." and he put it under the tree.  My brother in law took it and put it in the freezer and brought it out on Christmas morning.  Dad just rolled his eyes as he opened it, then busted up laughing when he saw what it was.  Did he thank me?  Yeah, a little, but he hugged my BIL for saving his gift from thawing out all over the floor.

Archived