SASS Wire Forum

American Flag shoulder patch

Clay Mosby

Recently there was a "terrorist" caught at the southern border. (So what else is new? ) One article I read said he was caught because he was wearing an American Flag shoulder patch incorrectly. The picture shows the flag he was wearing.

Question for the experts here, my brief research claimed that there is a flag designed to be worn on the right shoulder, and according to ppictures the person was wearing this flag on his right shoulder.  So were the "experts" right or wrong?? Is there such a thing as a right shoulder patch?

Thanks.

border-patrol-terrorist-22.jpg

The flag is not to be seen in a retreating position, thus the blue field is on the right in a forward position on the right shoulder.

I look at that jacket and think it might be on his left shoulder.

TSA employees seem to be 50/50 as to which patch they wear.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The flag is not to be seen in a retreating position, thus the blue field is on the right in a forward position on the right shoulder.

Funny how that did not seem to bother them during World War II.

190314-F-IO108-001.JPG

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Funny how that did not seem to bother them during World War II.

evolution noun

evo·lu·tion | \ ˌe-və-ˈlü-shən  , ˌē-və- \

Definition of evolution

2a: a process of change in a certain direction 

It's positioned incorrectly and the border is supposed to be gold, not white.  Two dead giveaways.

As others have pointed out, the CURRENT practice when the Army wears the flag on the right shoulder is to display it "backwards."  It hearkens back to the days when we fought in formation with a flag bearer holding the colors aloft for all to see.  If the flag bearer is advancing towards the enemy, when viewed from the right side, the flag will appear backwards.

That said, the Boy Scouts of America have an American flag on the right sleeve of their uniform, and it does NOT appear backwards.  This was a hot topic of discussion a few years ago, with some folks demanding we change it to match the military practice.  Despite my now-28 years of service in the Army and counting, I was vehemently opposed to the change in BSA (which, by the way failed; it still appears forwards).  Why?  The Boy Scouts are not attacking anything, nor should they even begin to think in those terms.  If they ever do, I'm severing ties permanently. 

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I prefer to think of it is change for change's sake.

Change for change's sake is common in bureaucracies, including the military, but not so much in this case. Those flags such as the one in the image you posted were worn by paratroopers, and primarily for recognition behind enemy lines. There wasn't really a regulation that I am aware of that addressed it. Move forward to  the modern era and the military didn't wear the flag at all, except for during deployments, if then. It wasn't until the 21st century that it pretty much became standard. At that time, the Institute of Heraldry gave a formal opinion on how it should be worn, and regulations changed to reflect the fact. Evolution.

23 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

It is against the Law to wear the flag .

It isn't enforced . It is against the Law .

It isn't against the law to wear the flag on clothing.   It is against the flag code to wear the flag as clothing. 

21 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We don't have that kind of problem.

Canadian Flag  (1).jpg

Neither do Ethiopia

et-flag.gif

Kenya

ke-flag.gif

Nigeria

ni-flag.gif

Russia

rs-flag.gif

Sierra Leone

sl-flag.gif

Somalia

so-flag.gif

Syria

sy-flag.gif

Vietnam

vm-flag.gif

Or Yemen

ym-flag.gif

But I don't think that's the kind of company I'd want to be compared to as having "similarities". :o:D:ph34r:

i could care less of other countries - just want straight info on the "correct" current codes of ours , if there is an issue i do not want to violate but ill proudly wear my countries colors anywhere anytime , ill offer my redneck backside to those that disparage  

All I know is if you want to burn my flag, you better be wearing it when you do!

im seeing this in a current car commercial that intimates it is worthy of respect - it is in motion forward , i can accept that but ill be open to other takes on the topic , i find most commercials tedious and less than truthful , they are selling something after all , 

funny how things we might have taken for  granted or on face value in the past now become a question of reliable source in this age of the internet enlightenment [everybody can know - but nobody knows the truth] or at least you better verify with multiple sources to be sure , 

11 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Neither do Ethiopia

et-flag.gif

Kenya

ke-flag.gif

Nigeria

ni-flag.gif

Russia

rs-flag.gif

Sierra Leone

sl-flag.gif

Somalia

so-flag.gif

Syria

sy-flag.gif

Vietnam

vm-flag.gif

Or Yemen

ym-flag.gif

But I don't think that's the kind of company I'd want to be compared to as having "similarities". :o:D:ph34r:

You forgot Poland
image.jpeg.b136619209b91a8514f0b91c8682703c.jpeg

and Austria
image.jpeg.4af0681f544d9bbb8f91514c99cede9d.jpeg

On 12/24/2021 at 9:26 AM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

It is against the Law to wear the flag .

It isn't enforced . It is against the Law .

On 12/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

It isn't against the law to wear the flag on clothing.   It is against the flag code to wear the flag as clothing. 

This is against the law?  Rubbish.  It is called the First Amendment.

c7adb3d1-086c-4657-81f1-457c05a5f4c0.1fcfd153c8fd2cf300d724c1ba23b9dd.jpeg

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

c7adb3d1-086c-4657-81f1-457c05a5f4c0.1fcfd153c8fd2cf300d724c1ba23b9dd.jpeg

If you read my words that you quoted,  you'll notice that I said it was against the "flag code" tobe worn as clothing.   Paragraph 8, subparagraph  (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.  I never said it was against the law

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

While that has elements of the American flag it is clearly NOT the flag or made from a flag.

Archived