SASS Wire Forum

A Little Deer Hunting This Year

Savvy Jack

My first year hunting in North Carolina since I moved here nearly eight years ago. I had been hunting in SC with my brother-in-law, dad and nephew. My brother-in-law passed away last year and my nephew lost the hunting land so I figured I'd start hunting the gamelands here. I decided this well into the season this year so I just decided to chalk it up to a scouting year. I think I found my spot so hope to improve for next year. Better concealment, scent deterrent....you know the drill.

On my fourth (last) day out, I saw this guy come out. Thought it was a doe so I put the rifle down and got the camera. Once it got close I saw it was a spike but decided to let it go.

He did finally spot me up the 30 degree slope but he eased backwards and headed off to the right. Once nearly out of sight, he got a whiff of me downwind, snorted and shot off like a bolt of lightning.

Now that I found my spot, I'll be ready next year.

Uberti Winchester 73, Malcom scope with some custom hunting loads.

269772545_1965354400311800_388929046136164125_n.jpg

269798086_1966103446903562_9137564860196038181_n.jpg

269851178_1966868000160440_8493564322315069568_n.jpg

Keep on hitting the woods and you will get the freezer full. 

I got my mule deer buck last month here in Colorado. Nice, fat deer and has been great eating.

Roger and buck at camp.jpg

I let a nice spike go this year too. The hunt was still a grand adventure in God’s great outdoors!

Persistence trumps skill.  Spend enough time out there and eventually you will get a shot that you like!  I’m proof; not skillful, just persistent! 

Well done. Kaya and I have been passing on spikes and forkies all season. We both took young does for the freezer. 

That cover looks awful thick! Perfect!

22 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I thought you were s'posed to leave the little ones and let them grow .....   :unsure:

No better eating than a young doe. And there's more deer than people where we hunt so taking a doe once in a bit is a good thing here. 

37 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I thought you were s'posed to leave the little ones and let them grow .....   :unsure:

Depends on if you're hunting for meat or bragging rights.  Young does and spikes eat better than the old mossy horns. 

Best venison I ever had came from a little button head (antlers are just showing above the hair line).  The neck steaks- cut thin, breaded and fried in butter- cut with a fork and literally melted in your mouth.

In contrast, a buddy of mine took a 10 pointer that he'd been chasing for 2 seasons and it was the worst venison I've ever had.  Tough as shoe leather, gamey tasting and stringy.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Depends on if you're hunting for meat or bragging rights.  Young does and spikes eat better than the old mossy horns. 

Best venison I ever had came from a little button head (antlers are just showing above the hair line).  The neck steaks- cut thin, breaded and fried in butter- cut with a fork and literally melted in your mouth.

In contrast, a buddy of mine took a 10 pointer that he'd been chasing for 2 seasons and it was the worst venison I've ever had.  Tough as shoe leather, gamey tasting and stringy.

One is steaks, roasts and chops that melt in your mouth and the other is burger, sausage and jerky. But I will say that hunting with my daughter, I'll never shoot another "cute" buck! 

We can apply for and sometimes get antlerless deer tags here. Just too many in some WMU's and they need to be culled back.

A few years ago, I took both of these, a day apart, with my 1866 from the same stand.

13340018 Deer Hunting near Kemptville.jpg

3 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

What’s your hunting load for that 73?

Seamus

25.8gr to 26gr of Reloder 7 with a .428"  220gr 43-214A with a mild crimp in a .429" bore. Pending crimp method, I load for 1,350fps to keep the pressure where I want it. If interested, start with 25gr and work up, paying attention to the powder charge and the amount of crimp used to reach 1,350fps or less.

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Big bodied deer up there. Always wanted to hunt way north.

Bergmans rule seems to apply to body size , but not antlers . Some of those Texas bucks don’t have really big bodies but they sure seem to have allot of antler 

17 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

One is steaks, roasts and chops that melt in your mouth and the other is burger, sausage and jerky. But I will say that hunting with my daughter, I'll never shoot another "cute" buck! 

A fella can only eat so much deer burger afore he's craving a slice of roast or a neck steak fried in butter.

34 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

A fella can only eat so much deer burger afore he's craving a slice of roast or a neck steak fried in butter.

A roast in the crockpot for supper right now. Venison Manhattans' for supper. Venison spaghetti last night.

We eat everything I shoot. Make my own burger, breakfast sausage, brats, roasts and steaks. I butcher all my own meat, that way I can control the quality. NEVER had any bad venison, elk, antelope or moose. Ask Original Lumpy Grits about my bbq venison steaks. Fed a bunch of hungry cowboys at a shoot a couple of years ago, not a speck of leftovers!

I only shoot what I intend to eat as well. Or if it's dangerous.

I was taught that by my Father.

I/we now do all our own butchering as well; moose and deer.

Amazing how much more meat we end up with!!

I guess the butchers we used to use to cut and wrap our harvest liked game meat as well.

I used to think bucks like that were not possible. I've shot some dandies but nothing over 175 pounds. Thought he was as big as they get. My daughter proved that wrong two years in a row! A 187 pound 8 point and a 213 pound 11. Someday I'll get that magic 200!!

13 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I used to think bucks like that were not possible. I've shot some dandies but nothing over 175 pounds. Thought he was as big as they get. My daughter proved that wrong two years in a row! A 187 pound 8 point and a 213 pound 11. Someday I'll get that magic 200!!

You just keep paying attention to them lessons Kaya is giving you and, if you say your prayers and eat all of your vegetables,  maybe you'll be as good a hunter as your teenage daughter.:P

Archived