SASS Wire Forum

Well, my family and I have been in quarantine since after thanksgiving due to my kids testing positive for the Rona in succession.  Thankfully they have not had any major symptoms and we have been healthy, if a little cranky from being locked up so long.  Last year we missed Thanksgiving due to my wife and I having Rona and then our families on both sides got it over Christmas.  We ended up celebrating after the new year.  Well, I needed something to do last year during quarantine and convalescence so I grew out my moustache.  That's Bret Chrismer's Moustache Wax if anyone is wondering, I like it!

moustache.thumb.jpg.eee3fa9642a4e5137537b83840e8eedf.jpg.09d77667ac1c751c822cfdb26895b152.jpg

Anyway, long story longer, I needed a project this house arrest, so I decided to shorten up my hardware store Steven's 315.  

image.png.c77947efe327eb2be6dd247eb1c51cff.png

I've been watching a lot of Rhett Neumayer's videos over at Demonstrated Concepts and he does a lot of work on running shockwave's and pistol grip only shotguns.  This shotgun is my only shotgun and it spends most of it's time as my trunk gun.  I wanted it to be a little easier to carry in and out in a single bag instead of needing to keep the 28" barrels in a pool cue holder.  Since this is also my CAS Shottie, I needed to make sure all modifications were approved.  so here's what I did.

Cut barrels down to 18+ inches.  this keeps it Cowboy and Fed legal and I don't need any paperwork to transport it anywhere.

I cut the length of pull wayyyyy down.  this is a sass legal modification to the stock and it eliminates the rubber butt pad which I think is actually not allowed?  OAL is still over 26+ inches which again keeps the Feds happy.

image.png.7141a3d5ff45e18850ea3a4cdc483c2f.png

Next I added a leather wrap and sling.  Both are Sass Approved SxS mods, I configured my sling to give me the ability to manage the recoil without a stock.

image.png.468e944e8e5b8e3d5b1f8343fcf8f5db.png

for trunk gun and around the house usage I'll add a red dot and flashlight.  but this is how it should look next time I hit a match.  now to test and see how she patterns with bird and buck, and get her out for some rabbits.  I've been told the rabbits don't care that I'm in quarantine.

Last thoughts,

I had been hoping to hit a Christmas match like I did with @Silver Creek Jack and the Chisolm trail cowboys last year, but we'll be locked up a while longer so I'll have more time to tweak my pistols and maybe load up some BP 38's and 20's before my next match.  

I like Demonstrated Concept's ideas, he's a firearms instructor in Aurora Co and he offers free concealed carry classes.  check out his videos on cheek pistols, AR pistols and stockless shotguns for close quarters work.

Also, I've dubbed this shotgun the Ben Shapiro because it's short, circumcised, and persuasive in and argument!

That's all folks, I hope you enjoyed this post.  Have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!  Love and prayers for any of you that may also be quarantining at this time, or fighting illness.  

God Bless!

43 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I've been watching a lot of Rhett Neumayer's videos over at Demonstrated Concepts and he does a lot of work on running shockwave's and pistol grip only shotguns.  This shotgun is my only shotgun and it spends most of it's time as my trunk gun.  I wanted it to be a little easier to carry in and out in a single bag instead of needing to keep the 28" barrels in a pool cue holder.  Since this is also my CAS Shottie, I needed to make sure all modifications were approved.  so here's what I did.

Cut barrels down to 18+ inches.  this keeps it Cowboy and Fed legal and I don't need any paperwork to transport it anywhere.

I cut the length of pull wayyyyy down.  this is a sass legal modification to the stock and it eliminates the rubber butt pad which I think is actually not allowed?  OAL is still over 26+ inches which again keeps the Feds happy.

image.png.7141a3d5ff45e18850ea3a4cdc483c2f.png

Next I added a leather wrap and sling.  Both are Sass Approved SxS mods, I configured my sling to give me the ability to manage the recoil without 

Cutting a shotgun or rifle stock to a "pistol-grip" configuration in NOT an approved modification.

That is why "Terminator" 1887 shotguns, and "Mare's Leg" rifles (pistols) are NOT LEGAL for SASS competition.

The stock modification allowance has been clarified as pertaining to shortening a stock's LOP in order for a shooter to safely and comfortably fire it from the shoulder:

The length or style of stock may be altered or replaced (e.g., a carbine style stock may be interchanged for a rifle stock and vice-versa).

SHB p.34

Dang Cupajoe! Wish you would have checked for SASS legal before you cut your stock off! And sorry to hear your quarantined hope things get better in a hurry! Come on out to the club when you can, I have a loaner shotgun you can use till you get yours restocked or a new one bought!

21 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Dang Cupajoe! Wish you would have checked for SASS legal before you cut your stock off! And sorry to hear your quarantined hope things get better in a hurry! Come on out to the club when you can, I have a loaner shotgun you can use till you get yours restocked or a new one bought!

Thanks!  It's reversable and meets my non sass needs... figured I could pay for a new stock up front or try it and find out.   Apparently the wolf doesn't like the lupara... 

"The wolf" likes the lupara just fine.... just not for CAS! 
 ;)

I modified a couple of spare stocks to make a '97 and a '94 Trapper more "portable". :ph34r:

pistol grips wire.jpg

I'd like to use this 20ga. on a 10-10-2 stage but it's got 2 strikes against it
1) Barrels too short
and
2) Percussion (rules require cartridge SG's)

howdah dgw wire.jpg

12 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Thanks!  It's reversable and meets my non sass needs... figured I could pay for a new stock up front or try it and find out.   Apparently the wolf doesn't like the lupara... 

lol! The Wolf is THE man in all things CAS!

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Just a thought… nobody says you have to shoot your shotgun from your shoulder.  Put a kids stock on it and shoot from the hip. 

I can still shoulder fire this one, it's not a pistol grip only, just very short lop.  

7 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Great 'stache!!!!

Thanks!  Here it is today with my Novembeard

20211224_150421.jpg

2 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I can still shoulder fire this one, it's not a pistol grip only, just very short lop.  

It's NOT LEGAL for SASS use no matter how you hold & fire it.

new-england-sea-wolves-logo-black-and-white.jpg

36 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

It's NOT LEGAL for SASS use no matter how you hold & fire it.

new-england-sea-wolves-logo-black-and-white.jpg

Let me know what is a legal lop and I'll add it back on

There is no SASS minimum.

The shortest "industry" standards for "Youth Models" would be considered acceptable:

What Makes a Shotgun a Youth Model?

Shorter size and lower weight than a normal size shotgun make it a youth model. Most importantly the length of pull. A normal shotgun has a LOP of about 13.5-14 inches, whereas a youth shotgun has a LOP of about 11- 13 inches

SOURCE

I would recommend using that as a minimum if you insist on using it for SASS competition,

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

Let me know what is a legal lop and I'll add it back on

My son personalized one of our 870s and it does get a bit tricky or should I say you need to hold it in such a way as not to hurt yourself. Surprisingly, once you have a proper hold and stance, it's pretty effective, and formidable as well.

20200509_094736.thumb.jpg.fbc0fc8bc5ce6dcf0450278da65b0009.jpg

And Canadian legal, Barrel and OAL. We added a mag extension as well, just for S&G.

BB

1 hour ago, "Big Boston" said:

My son personalized one of our 870s and it does get a bit tricky or should I say you need to hold it in such a way as not to hurt yourself. Surprisingly, once you have a proper hold and stance, it's pretty effective, and formidable as well.

20200509_094736.thumb.jpg.fbc0fc8bc5ce6dcf0450278da65b0009.jpg

And Canadian legal, Barrel and OAL. We added a mag extension as well, just for S&G.

BB

Rhett at DC sells a recoil strap for your trigger hand seems to work pretty good for these stock less shotguns, I mounted my sling to behave the way his recoil strap works.  I still have the piece of stock I cut off and I think I'll be able to make an adapter plate so I can slap it on for a match and remove it when I'm done.  

@PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L my shotgun came with a rubber pachmyer recoil pad, I'm actually not sure if that's allowed, I think I can remove it if needed, please advise. 

2 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Rhett at DC sells a recoil strap for your trigger hand seems to work pretty good for these stock less shotguns, I mounted my sling to behave the way his recoil strap works.  I still have the piece of stock I cut off and I think I'll be able to make an adapter plate so I can slap it on for a match and remove it when I'm done.  

@PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L my shotgun came with a rubber pachmyer recoil pad, I'm actually not sure if that's allowed, I think I can remove it if needed, please advise. 

That would be LEGAL.

-

A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the buttstock of rifles and shotguns.

SHB p.34

Have a merry Christmas everyone, thanks for all the help and encouragement!  I'll post some pics when she's SASSy again. 

Archived