SASS Wire Forum

1887/1901 deer slayer

Buckshot Bob

12 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

That's the way my dad hung his deer, by the neck. Said they drained better. Most seem to hang them by the back legs.

I’ve seen people almost come to blows over how to hang a deer and if you should age it or not and how long and at what temp 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve seen people almost come to blows over how to hang a deer and if you should age it or not and how long and at what temp 

My dad always aged his deer. I once asked how long it took, he said depends on the temp. I kept asking questions and not getting an answer I could live with. Finally in exasperation he said " when every dog in the neighborhood is trying to get in your garage you should probably butcher that deer."  

But then there's the Winchester... is it an 1887 or a 1901?  :rolleyes:

Remember the title of thread~?  ^_^

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But then there's the Winchester... is it an 1887 or a 1901?  :rolleyes:

Remember the title of thread~?  ^_^

Judging from the hump on the receiver and the shape of the lever, I'd go with '87.  As near as I could get from trying to superimpose layers in editing programs.

That gentleman has cartridge loops on his shirt and a cartridge belt at the entrance to his “bed”, and a scowl.  This is a person I want on MY side.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

That gentleman has cartridge loops on his shirt and a cartridge belt at the entrance to his “bed”, and a scowl.  This is a person I want on MY side.

I can hear him now…

”Hurry up with that dang camera! Yer lucky that rifle’s over there or I would plug ya!”

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can hear him now…

”Hurry up with that dang camera! Yer lucky that rifle’s over there or I would plug ya!”

Pssst...  It's a shotgun...  :ph34r:

Likely loaded with buckshot ~ even though that 'pears to be a doe he done gone and shot with it.  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Which makes me wonder where the photograph was taken.  Other than Cossacks I can't think of any that sew the cartouche pockets into the breast of shirts or tunics.

Look at the hollow log, huge! Look at the trees in the back ground, small, those are second growth forest. I'd guess northern / upper peninsula ,Michigan, or Wisconsin, late 19th early 20th century. Remember immigrants didn't buy all new clothes when they got here. He could have come to mine or lumberjack or escape persecution at home.   

7 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Buckshot used to be real popular up there and is still legal I believe.

It still is in Mi , although I don’t think it’s very popular anymore. The shotgun was popular in areas of Mi where using a rifle was illegal. You could use pistol calibers but 44mag was about as good as it got . Then when in-line muzzle loaders evolved they were all the rage . Now you can use straight wall calibers that are 35 cal or larger with a minimum case of 1.16 and a max of 1.80 . Which has given birth to whole new deer rifle industry. 
Fortunately for me I’ve never hunted in a zone that wasn’t rifle so I’ve never had to play the game. But southern Mi does have allot bigger bucks. But allot more hunters . Per capita Mi sells more deer licenses than any other state . But numbers are declining rapidly like every where else.

Supposedly one of the good effects of Covid has been hunter numbers going up  

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It still is in Mi , although I don’t think it’s very popular anymore. The shotgun was popular in areas of Mi where using a rifle was illegal. You could use pistol calibers but 44mag was about as good as it got . Then when in-line muzzle loaders evolved they were all the rage . Now you can use straight wall calibers that are 35 cal or larger with a minimum case of 1.16 and a max of 1.80 . Which has given birth to whole new deer rifle industry. 
Fortunately for me I’ve never hunted in a zone that wasn’t rifle so I’ve never had to play the game. But southern Mi does have allot bigger bucks. But allot more hunters . Per capita Mi sells more deer licenses than any other state . But numbers are declining rapidly like every where else.

Supposedly one of the good effects of Covid has been hunter numbers going up  

My cabin is in Newaygo County. Rifle for me as well. Indiana went to high power rifle some years back on private ground. Sure is nice to be able to use my .270.

1 minute ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The first 2 deer my dad shot was in the UP, he used a single shot shotgun with buck shot. Late 20's early 30's.

My dad grew up using 'cut shells'. Couldn't afford slugs. Abject poverty in those days. My grandpa told me he used a .45 Colt round in his .410 when he was a kid until he saved $27.00 for his Winchester 94 in .32 Special.

20 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Pssst...  It's a shotgun...  :ph34r:

Likely loaded with buckshot ~ even though that 'pears to be a doe he done gone and shot with it.  :rolleyes:

Haha…Doh! :lol:

Archived